Appropriate size enclosure or something else

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Ok so now i bought an enclosure from jaimies tarantula and its great but i think its too big for my a.avicularia.
View attachment 254230

I find it difficult to feed it, what happens when I feed it is that it attacks the food or the tweezer but then the food falls to the ground and I dont get to see if it eats it or not. Im currently feeding it with lateralis roaches. And the abdomen looks small or maybe its normal idk im very new to the hobby. I got 3 tarantulas now and the other two seems to be eating great they always eats what i give them unlike my avicularia. I currently have a p metallica and a c fimbriaus slings.
View attachment 254231
I am thinking of putting it in a mason jar with holes on top much like the one i use for my betta.
View attachment 254232
Can someone help me decide please.
That Betta needs a proper enclosure.

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
Your betta is going to stress itself to death in that mason jar. Please show as much concern for your betta as you do your Avic.

Betta fish are shallow water fish but that doesn't mean they can live in tiny little jars, shallow water is still expansive, the recommended tank size for one solitary betta is at least five gallons but the bigger the better. I can't even see if that jar has space at the top, betta need to come to the top of the water in order to breathe. They have what's known as a labyrinth bladder that allows them to take in air, if they're not using it their health will decline.

You should also be keeping their water warm, they need a gentle filter and they need places to hide. Please do try to rectify your enclosure as soon as you can.

Hutake

Arachnopeon
Your betta is going to stress itself to death in that mason jar. Please show as much concern for your betta as you do your Avic.

Betta fish are shallow water fish but that doesn't mean they can live in tiny little jars, shallow water is still expansive, the recommended tank size for one solitary betta is at least five gallons but the bigger the better. I can't even see if that jar has space at the top, betta need to come to the top of the water in order to breathe. They have what's known as a labyrinth bladder that allows them to take in air, if they're not using it their health will decline.

You should also be keeping their water warm, they need a gentle filter and they need places to hide. Please do try to rectify your enclosure as soon as you can.
Thanks thankssfor the advices

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I know but he just recently got kicked out the aquarium by my housemates they wanted glo fish with my tank. But i have plans for it later on just not now yet.
Sounds like you have terrible house mates, bro. That's ridiculous.

And glofish are not even natural; the poor things are bred en mass and their genes are spliced all up to make the abominations that you see packed by the thousands in crummy Petco and Petsmart tanks with algae growing on the sides and a half dead gold fish gasping for oxygen in the tank next to it.

But I digress.

I cannot really tell from the images you posted of your Avic spp. Enclosure, but is there a sufficient amount of artificial plants/leaves in there near the top for webbing anchor points?

Hutake

Arachnopeon
Sounds like you have terrible house mates, bro. That's ridiculous.

And glofish are not even natural; the poor things are bred en mass and their genes are spliced all up to make the abominations that you see packed by the thousands in crummy Petco and Petsmart tanks with algae growing on the sides and a half dead gold fish gasping for oxygen in the tank next to it.

But I digress.

I cannot really tell from the images you posted of your Avic spp. Enclosure, but is there a sufficient amount of artificial plants/leaves in there near the top for webbing anchor points?
Well i want hen to be happy too so i agreed.

There is some on upper right corner but he/she doenst event got there.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I had a betta in a 1 gallon bowl -- bio filter -- only had to add a little water as it evaporated since it self-cleaning (the original water was probably 10 years old - whatever remained of it anyway).

Anyway, I had seed moths galore in parrot room, and decided to offer the betta one. Well -- he was huge fan of the seed moths; and in about 6 months, I could hardly find a seed moth for him. And he refused to eat anything else by then. Seeds moths (and larvae) wiggle and move -- bettas love this!
I remember going to pet store and deliberately buying bags from the 'open-container' seed and pellets just because I knew they would already be infested with moth larvae.
Betta lived 3 years (not sure of normal lifespan, but had never had one beat the 2 year limit before). Seed moth diet only. SMH. What a brat betta. lol

[re: betta age -- I purchased as adult males -- so lifespan really = from when I purchased him]

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
I know but he just recently got kicked out the aquarium by my housemates they wanted glo fish with my tank. But i have plans for it later on just not now yet.
Ay, sorry for jumping to conclusion and being a bit brash, but I see so many poor bettas stuck in tiny tanks for the rest of their lives I kind of assume anyone who has them in a small tank bought them 'cause they're pretty and haven't really researched them. It kind of grinds on you after a while. Your housemates do kind of sound rather ridiculous. Bettas can survive in tiny places, but they won't thrive. If they have a chance of a better enclosure down the line, then that's good! I hope you can get them one soon.

Nicky Davis

Arachnopeon
Ok so now i bought an enclosure from jaimies tarantula and its great but i think its too big for my a.avicularia.
View attachment 254230

I find it difficult to feed it, what happens when I feed it is that it attacks the food or the tweezer but then the food falls to the ground and I dont get to see if it eats it or not. Im currently feeding it with lateralis roaches. And the abdomen looks small or maybe its normal idk im very new to the hobby. I got 3 tarantulas now and the other two seems to be eating great they always eats what i give them unlike my avicularia. I currently have a p metallica and a c fimbriaus slings.
View attachment 254231
I am thinking of putting it in a mason jar with holes on top much like the one i use for my betta.
View attachment 254232
I have mine
View attachment 254230

View attachment 254231
View attachment 254232

Nicky Davis

Arachnopeon
My 3.25" DLS Caribena avicularia is in that same container. Loves it. Lean the bark against the back wall so it can make its silk tube behind it. Just put the cricket on top of the bark or over the edge into the silk tube. Knock on the container three times so she knows when you are going to drop the food into the container. She will eagerly get it. If not, check next day. If not eaten, she is working on a molt or just isn't hungry.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My 3.25" DLS Caribena avicularia is in that same container. Loves it. Lean the bark against the back wall so it can make its silk tube behind it. Just put the cricket on top of the bark or over the edge into the silk tube. Knock on the container three times so she knows when you are going to drop the food into the container. She will eagerly get it. If not, check next day. If not eaten, she is working on a molt or just isn't hungry.
Caribena avicularia is not a species. There's Avicularia species, and the former Avicularia versicolor that now is Caribena versicolor. Which are you referring to? ;)