Appropriate size enclosure or something else

Hutake

Arachnopeon
Ok so now i bought an enclosure from jaimies tarantula and its great but i think its too big for my a.avicularia.
473EB07B-08AC-4C12-B0E5-7A61B4AD6424.jpeg

I find it difficult to feed it, what happens when I feed it is that it attacks the food or the tweezer but then the food falls to the ground and I dont get to see if it eats it or not. Im currently feeding it with lateralis roaches. And the abdomen looks small or maybe its normal idk im very new to the hobby. I got 3 tarantulas now and the other two seems to be eating great they always eats what i give them unlike my avicularia. I currently have a p metallica and a c fimbriaus slings.
C9D54866-271A-4EB3-8791-12A9285B738D.jpeg
I am thinking of putting it in a mason jar with holes on top much like the one i use for my betta.
B9D4FDE2-D226-4087-B73C-956BFB68C68F.jpeg
Can someone help me decide please.

starnaito

Arachnosquire
The Avics tend to have smaller abdomens, and that's normal for them. I have some slings and they've never been big eaters; they just eat what they need and only look fat when they're getting ready to molt. If they are really hungry, they will come down to ground level to find food. Mine will scavenge freshly killed things too.

How big is yours? I like Jamie's adult enclosures, but I'm not sure about the ventilation for her smaller arboreal ones. I use tall plastic cups and poke holes in them. For larger ones, you can use those tall plastic snack containers (the ones they sell pretzels and cheeseballs in).

BC1579

Arachnobaron
I've got two and only one is what I'd call an eager eater. Each one is in an enclosure roughly 6"x6"x12". I adore them and think they're a great species.

That said, your enclosure is a beautiful one and I would not move the T. Mine do indeed come down to ground level to feed. Personally I think it's fine.

Hutake

Arachnopeon
The Avics tend to have smaller abdomens, and that's normal for them. I have some slings and they've never been big eaters; they just eat what they need and only look fat when they're getting ready to molt. If they are really hungry, they will come down to ground level to find food. Mine will scavenge freshly killed things too.

How big is yours? I like Jamie's adult enclosures, but I'm not sure about the ventilation for her smaller arboreal ones. I use tall plastic cups and poke holes in them. For larger ones, you can use those tall plastic snack containers (the ones they sell pretzels and cheeseballs in).
I have uploaded photos of it. Im just concered coz its his/hers 2nd time not eating and thats about 2weeks now coz i feed every 4 days. And he/she doesnt move alot he /she just stays there on that same corner of the tank. He/she doesnt web at all too but i read its normal. Idk i just hope he/shes ok.

Hutake

Arachnopeon
I've got two and only one is what I'd call an eager eater. Each one is in an enclosure roughly 6"x6"x12". I adore them and think they're a great species.

That said, your enclosure is a beautiful one and I would not move the T. Mine do indeed come down to ground level to feed. Personally I think it's fine.
Thank you. I think i wont move him/her either and wait for him/her to come down for food. Or maybe it because I switched to lateralis? I usually feed him/her with crickets but now I changed it to lateralis.

BC1579

Arachnobaron
I'm a big believer in experimenting with different prey items. Some Ts have aversion to one type of prey or another. Other Ts (like my T. stirmi) eat anything I give it. I think prey aversion is probably not too terribly common, as in the wild a T will take what it can get. However, a variety of feeders aren't too tough to come by for most so I don't think there's anything wrong with a little diversity.

If I were you, I'd toss in a cricket just for grins. If it ate crickets before and now it isn't eating lateralis, that might be your answer. On the other hand, it just might not be hungry. I personally don't feed off of tongs, as I enjoy watching the hunt and seeing the strike.

And for what it's worth, mine haven't webbed either and I've had them for a month.

Hutake

Arachnopeon
I'm a big believer in experimenting with different prey items. Some Ts have aversion to one type of prey or another. Other Ts (like my T. stirmi) eat anything I give it. I think prey aversion is probably not too terribly common, as in the wild a T will take what it can get. However, a variety of feeders aren't too tough to come by for most so I don't think there's anything wrong with a little diversity.

If I were you, I'd toss in a cricket just for grins. If it ate crickets before and now it isn't eating lateralis, that might be your answer. On the other hand, it just might not be hungry. I personally don't feed off of tongs, as I enjoy watching the hunt and seeing the strike.

And for what it's worth, mine haven't webbed either and I've had them for a month.
thankss that helps a lot. So its really normal for a tarantula to not eat for weeks. Now my only problem would be another tarantula lol i really need to stop buying for a while but i got a discount from jaimies tarantula and i want to buy one more I am thinking of buying eaither a g rosea coz i read that they have pretty red/pink color or a c.cyenopubencens coz of its pretty blue color

BC1579

Arachnobaron
Some Ts are known for fasting - up to several months even.

A GBB is my next purchase. That would be one you'd never worry about in terms of appetite or webbing.

Hutake

Arachnopeon
Some Ts are known for fasting - up to several months even.

A GBB is my next purchase. That would be one you'd never worry about in terms of appetite or webbing.
I probably would buy gbb. Just need one more and i think i should be good for a while. Probably going to wait for them to be bigger before buying more lol

starnaito

Arachnosquire
I have uploaded photos of it. Im just concered coz its his/hers 2nd time not eating and thats about 2weeks now coz i feed every 4 days. And he/she doesnt move alot he /she just stays there on that same corner of the tank. He/she doesnt web at all too but i read its normal. Idk i just hope he/shes ok.
It could also be that she hasn't adjusted to the new home yet. My Ts tend to hang around the top for a while when I rehouse them until they get settled in.

Hutake

Arachnopeon
It could also be that she hasn't adjusted to the new home yet. My Ts tend to hang around the top for a while when I rehouse them until they get settled in.
Probably, just in case i just left the lateralis in the cage and hope he/she eats it.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Not seeing a problem with enclosure size and T. Lovely, in fact. Might could use a few more anchor points (like glue-gunned to sides) to assist webbing.

I recommend trying new prey. Imo, she should be able to hunt in that enclosure.

(Sorry if I missed it, but the jar looks full of water -- what's in it? -- Just curious. :) [edited: never mind -- a betta fish! Had me wondering. lol ])

Hutake

Arachnopeon
Not seeing a problem with enclosure size and T. Lovely, in fact. Might could use a few more anchor points (like glue-gunned to sides) to assist webbing.

I recommend trying new prey. Imo, she should be able to hunt in that enclosure.

(Sorry if I missed it, but the jar looks full of water -- what's in it? -- Just curious. :) [edited: never mind -- a betta fish! Had me wondering. lol ])
Thanksss. This forum helps me alot to be calm with my ts. I feel like i worry too much, good thing i found this site.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Just toss some crickets at her. She'll grab em mid air is she's hungry. If you miss, just let then wander about till she finds them.

@starnaito Avic abdomens are not any more slender than other tarantulas. They can get very fat.

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What's the green thing in the bottom corner? Also, are those thumbtacks holding the cork bark up?
Nice avic. Can't wait for mine to get that big.

starnaito

Arachnosquire
Just toss some crickets at her. She'll grab em mid air is she's hungry. If you miss, just let then wander about till she finds them.

@starnaito Avic abdomens are not any more slender than other tarantulas. They can get very fat.
I was comparing to terrestrials, not other arboreals. And I agree, they can get very fat, as can all Ts if given the chance.

Hutake

Arachnopeon
What's the green thing in the bottom corner? Also, are those thumbtacks holding the cork bark up?
Nice avic. Can't wait for mine to get that big.
Its a sponge i read they need it but i also read they dont so idk i just left it there just in case. And yes those are thumbtacks i dont like using gluegun just incase i want to change the looks of it. Thankssss

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Sponge is just a breeding ground for microbes -- I'd definitely remove it.
Thumbtacks? As long as they are secure and can't injure T. Never seen anyone use them before.

Hutake

Arachnopeon
Sponge is just a breeding ground for microbes -- I'd definitely remove it.
Thumbtacks? As long as they are secure and can't injure T. Never seen anyone use them before.
I see thanks will remove the sponge after i get home. And yes the tacks are secured in the cork thanks ^_^