Genus Aphonopelma

AntlerAlchemist

Arachnosquire
Well I don't have any currently. But I was planning on going for a hike today. So maybe I could snap a few shots.

AntlerAlchemist

Arachnosquire
I guess I have a few pictures that would be similar habitats. Here are a couple from the Saguaro National Park. This is just a few miles from where I captured my Tarantula. Most of these pictures are of other creatures or plants of the Sonoran desert. Including a western diamond back, common king snake, gila monster, and regal horned lizard. I hope these pictures will give kind of an over view of just some of the natural habitats. I found my tarantula in more of a flat area, kind of a flood plane near a large wash. The vegetation is more sparse with less cactus and more creosote bushes.

Attachments

AntlerAlchemist

Arachnosquire
Well I suppose I could just take the paper out. I was worried she could fall in and drown. I would have used a sponge instead but I didn't have any unused ones. I should mention the water is in an old plastic cap from a bottle. It is kind of deep for a small spider. I could probably find something smaller and more shallow so that there is a lower risk of her falling in.

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't use a sponge, or a paper towel, or anything along those lines; they're useless. A shallow water bowl is perfectly fine.

AntlerAlchemist

Arachnosquire
Do you have photos of the native environment?

Many of us want to do desert terrain, and photos from the wild would help a lot.
I took some pictures today and posted them under the field trips thread if you wanted to take a look at an actual burrow and the surrounding enviroment.

Leila

Arachnobaron
I took some pictures today and posted them under the field trips thread if you wanted to take a look at an actual burrow and the surrounding enviroment.
Will you be a sweetie and post a link? Maybe I am slow right now, but I cannot locate the photos and really wanna see them :embarrassed::happy:

AntlerAlchemist

Arachnosquire
IMG_2451.JPG IMG_2649.JPG I took some new pictures today. The first is from almost one month ago. And the second from today. I think maybe I should start to feed her less?! She will eat anything dropped into the cage with no signs of slowing down! I have decided to name her Shelob.

user 666

Arachnobaron
That is a fat abdomen. Yes, you can stop feeding for a couple weeks. But don't neglect the water dish.

A hentzi do eat a lot when the food is available, yes. I have a 3" hentzi T and it was eating 3 times a week for a while there.

AntlerAlchemist

Arachnosquire
Okay thanks, I was thinking maybe she would just start to ignore the crickets. But she attacks them just as viciously as before. I'll wait a while before I start to feed her again.

user 666

Arachnobaron
Okay thanks, I was thinking maybe she would just start to ignore the crickets. But she attacks them just as viciously as before. I'll wait a while before I start to feed her again.
Captive-bred Aphonopelma might, but many Aphonopelma species are native to the desert. That is a food-poor environment, which is why wild caught Aphonopelma eat whenever they have the food.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Back when we had her, we gave our WC A. chalcodes a burrow and she lived in it. She'd be out on a regular basis, but would dart into the burrow when disturbed, or hang half out of it waiting for a meal. We lived in Tucson, so we collected everything for the tank from the desert. The burrow made the "realistic" environment more real in my mind. Just a thought.

AntlerAlchemist

Arachnosquire
Well thats exactly what I did :p I am in Tucson currently. I mean the sand, the rocks and the wood are from where I got her. She also does have a burrow under the wood that she can retreat to. She usually hangs out at the entrance of the burrow until she gets startled or drags her food in.

Casey K

Arachnoknight
Aphonopelma bicoloratum mature female
IMG_20170713_172847629.jpg

Aphonopelma bicoloratum penultimate male
IMG_20170713_172927539.jpg

Cross fingers for a successful breeding when he matures!!! :)