Ant queens are out and about!

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If anyone wants to raise colonies of ants from freshly mated queens, head outside now. It's pretty much the peak of nuptial flights. Mornings and evenings are best, take walks often at these times, especially after rain or on a warm, humid day. Let's spread this amazing hobby!

Attachments

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All collected in Florida?

I've been thinking about venturing into ants. Any helpful hints/tips?

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All collected in Florida?

I've been thinking about venturing into ants. Any helpful hints/tips?
Yes, all collected here in Orlando, around my house.

As far as tips go, the mornings after a rain have been producing lots of Pheidole. (Like the one in the picture) These are great beginner species, fun to keep since they have soldiers, so head out anywhere from 7-10 am to find these queens. Look around side walks, driveways, and open sandy areas that recieve a good amount of shade. Evenings, anywhere from 6-11 pm, have produced Dorymyrmex, an attractive orange/yellow species, and Brachymyrmex, a very small but interesting to keep species. All nocturnal flyers are attracted to lights, a simple 18" blacklight held above a white sheet is a good way to lure in mated queens flying for the ground. Camponotus floridanus, the florida carpenter ant, a very large and cool species to keep, will fly very soon. Most Camponotus in Florida are nocturnal, so search for their queens at night. Solenopsis invicta, the common and much hated fire ant, is also flying, and will do so all summer long. This is a great beginner species when colonies are small, but I do warn you that colonies get huge in short periods of time and are hard to control. These will fly from 1-6 pm on humid, warm days. Side walks are a good place to start with these. Cloudy days are good for nuptial flights, since the sun doesn't fry them the moment they hit the side walk. There are many other species out there, so feel free to take those too. Remember, the thorax is the main indicator of a queen, it will be bulky, and wing scars will be present. Wet season has just started, and I'm having lots of luck, so since you're in Florida, keep your eyes peeled.

Attachments

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Got any colony setup/care tips or links to any? :)

Thanks for everything so far.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the test tube set up seems to work well, place an amount of water into a test tube, wefge acotton ball/tissue into the water creating a water comparment with a moist water source ( the cotton/tissue) place queen, cap. and forget about it till she has nanites ( founding workers)

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah, yes, I forgot. For founding queens/small colonies the test tube setup is best. Basically, it requires a glass test tube (Or plastic), clean source of water, and cotton balls. ( water /cotton/ Colony /cotton/ - That's a crude diagram of what you should end up with. Queens will benefit being kept in the dark, and this is very much true for skittish species like Formica, who can stress themselves to death. I myself acclimate my colonies to light by keep them in a dimly lit room, and increasing the amount of light daily. Now after you reach 10-30 workers, you can then transfer your colony to a plaster nest connected to an outworld. Refer to the two videos below on how to contruct a nest. Use regular plaster of paris. (Autoclaved areated concreate, or aac, is the best possible nest material but it is very hard to find in the US)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKv2BoFvKTU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akJLHKiJy80&feature=related

Care:
It can vary between species, so obviously it would be best to get an ID. (Or ask me! :) ) Certain species have queens that are semi-claustrel, meaining they need to forage while founding. Others have a specialized diet, like seeds. But for most of your standard Formicinae and Myrmicinae species, you need two base diets. A source of energy, or carbohydrates for the workers. Protein for the larvae and queen. Use 2 parts water to one part honey for the honey water. (Honey can be substitued with sugar) Protein can come in a variety of items. You can use crickets or mealworms from your local pet store, or catch your own. Different colonies have different preferences, and small colonies can especially be picky, give a variety of insects to find out what they like best. I find termites, mosquitoes, fruit flies, or cut up insect parts work best for young colonies. Once again, if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer!

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So you don't provide any kind of food at the beginning while they're in the tube?

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So you don't provide any kind of food at the beginning while they're in the tube?
Yes and no. Some queens run out of their food stores quicker than others, like the Pheidole queen pictured above, but you honestly don't have to feed a Pheidole queen. There are queens that are semi-claustrel, meaning you must provide food, and then there fully claustral, these don't need food. I usually supply fully claustrel queens with a *small* drop of honey first, they take what they need if any at all. Once the first larvae have reached a size that they are easily visable, I offer a fruitly. That's usually it.

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just caught a bunch of Camponotus (Carpenter ants) queens last night. If you're in Florida, and it's raining, they'll be flying at night!

Camponotus floridanus

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad257/Destroyer551/CampoQueens001.jpg

It hasn't been 15 hours since capture and this queen has already laid 2 eggs.

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad257/Destroyer551/CampoQueens002.jpg

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad257/Destroyer551/CampoQueens003.jpg

Camponotus tortuganus, a similiar species to the one above, smaller and slimmer, but still just as fun to keep.

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad257/Destroyer551/CampoQueens005.jpg

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad257/Destroyer551/CampoQueens006.jpg

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No ant queens up here, though I managed to get two C penn queens a few weeks ago. But I want some of the smaller ant species to keep too, since tyhey tend to dismember stuff!

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just wanted to add that I captured a Trachmyrmex septentrionalis queen late evening, the northern fungus growing ant. I've kept Cyphomyrmex before, which reared a yest-like fungus, but nothing like Trachymyrmex. It's the closest thing I'll get to Acromyrmex or Atta so I'll take it! She's currently excavating her first cell.

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you get S invicta?
Plenty. I squish all the delate queens I see, they're worthless and the US would do better without them. I do have one colony of them though, it currently numbers at 1000, at only 3.5 months old. They are easy to rear but with the rate of growth, and the size of the colonies, makes the species hard to control in captivity.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont dispute their issues but I do find them fascinating I would appreciate updates on this colony with pics, especially of them tearing things, I just love ants that carry their food back piece by piece.

And would love to get ahold of this species someday...

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I caught 6 or so queens (at least, I think they're queens) this evening. Two different species, one of which I believe is S. invicta. The other is much smaller.

Anyway, I'll try to get pictures posted so you can ID them for me.

Also, I'd love to see pics of your setups when you are able to post them. :)

--Joe

EDIT: Alright, here are (crappy) pics of queens from both species.

First species, queens are approx. 1/8-1/4" long:

Second species, I believe is S. invicta; queens are approx. 3/8" long:

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
NICE I think you will have the best luck with the dealated queens though winged queens have been known to lay eggs. I personally would keep the invicta simply because... anyways good luck and I hope you get an ID soon.!

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The smaller queen appears to be Brachymyrmex (The genus is a big mess making it impossible to ID species without a microscope) though your measurements seem a bit off, can you get a better one? (Brachymyrmex queens should measure around 4-5mm) Your second queen is in fact Solenopsis invicta.