Ant queens are out and about!

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, tomorrow is today, and it's just about 1pm here. I'll be going back around 8 tonight to look.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well the smaller gastered queen in the pairing went ahead and beheaded the other one. So apparently their must be a better way of convincing them to found colonies together! Down to four now.

radjess331

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well went walking around my front door and back door. I believe I found three different species of queens. two species i have the queens in bead cups. the third...well she accidently got smashed while i tried to catch her :(

ill try to get pics up this weekend for i.d.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have queens from three different species laying eggs now, and have already built three nests in anticipation. :)

trivium160

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm in florida but I can never find queens... I have found some harvester ant nests but have not attempted to dig it up. I'd pay for a harvester or carpenter ant queen!

echostatic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have two Camponotus queens I caught a few months ago. They both have a small handful of workers. My Solenopsis invicta colony from last year is just *huge*, but their numbers can be regulated by controlling how much protein they get fed... I just feed them a lot because I like having an enormous colony :)

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have been out several times in the last week and found nothing. It's like they were all out for a couple days, then they're gone.

trivium160

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yea, I'm just north of you in spring hill but I have never seen a Queen...

auroborus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know up here in Maryland the larger queens tend to fly in late spring, while some other colonies are pickier about the time of year or weather conditions on wich they fly. So maybe right after the rainy season or something like that is when yours will fly in FL.
Meanwhile I have a large red field ant queen with a few large larvae from this spring. hopefully i'll have workers soon

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know up here in Maryland the larger queens tend to fly in late spring, while some other colonies are pickier about the time of year or weather conditions on wich they fly. So maybe right after the rainy season or something like that is when yours will fly in FL.
Meanwhile I have a large red field ant queen with a few large larvae from this spring. hopefully i'll have workers soon
I can tell you one thing, ants fly all season long in Florida. It varies from species to species, but you just need to know what time and what to look for. Once you know what you're doing, anting in Florida is plain easy, it doesn't matter where you are in the state.

Any pictures of your queen?

auroborus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Any pictures of your queen?
I'll try to take some pics, but my digital camera isnt the best and her vial is often covered in condensation. I do have the same type of queen that I had last year that had died, so i'll try to get a few pics of her so you can get an idea.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lets see if anyone can ID this girl...

[YOUTUBE]VrqTqTjGVPA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]L7JWJ8wf34g[/YOUTUBE]

Same body shape/species just without wings and a different angle and lighting.

More importantly is she semi-claustral or fully-claustral?

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lets see if anyone can ID this girl...

Same body shape/species just without wings and a different angle and lighting.

More importantly is she semi-claustral or fully-claustral?
Tetramorium species E, America's Tetramorium caespitum. Otherwise known as the common pavement ant. She is fully claustrel.

Rellok1

Arachnopeon
Hi

Is it possible that one of America here. Can send me free a Gyne to Switzerland? I can sed him one frome here back. Lasius niger, Lasius emarginatus.

Thanks

Excuse my English.

Max

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No its illegal to ship ant queens even within the states let alone out of the states, however in Europe you can order ant queens and what not.

Edit: just caught four more of these today. Do they form polygnous colonies? If so then I will set these four up in a "dirt container" and see what happens. Currently the four of them are huddled up and inspecting each other, I have squished fruit and a squished moth in a large container that they can eat if they want until I set up the main enclosure they will be in. Currently I am assuming that they are getting along because they have nothing to fight over yet or they are indeed polygnous but I want more information before I start this up. Then again these are an invasive pest so I cant say I would be sad if they were to kill each other but I try to avoid meaningless deaths none the less.

Last edited:

auroborus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This queen is the same as the one I have now, if anyone can ID it/give more info about them it would be apreciated.
Also how do you delete pics that youve uploaded before? i think i just used up the rest of the space they give you on here

Attachments

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So my S. invicta queens all died for 'no reason'. Not sure why...they left eggs and larvae and everything...any ideas?

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Death without consumption of brood is suspicious, would make me think viral or fungal, something that would act quickly, oft when they die of humidity or lack there of I find they consue brood. perhaps it is possible they ran out of air?

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not in a test tube setup. I think they may have been infected with something.