Advice on which active arboreal to get

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
..... or keep catch cups within reach:)
I agree with you there. But tarantulas don't always cooperate with the catch cup. I've had to pack 3 MMs for transport (so far), and not only did not one of them opt to cooperate when going into their containers, a catch cup was also inefficient because that offered them the option to hide in the wrong container. Not being afraid to use my hands or have them climb on me if they eluded the cup and any tools made it as calm a process as possible when they were being stubborn.

As I stated before: it's not that I think handling should be done, but I just think it's foolish to not be prepared at all for any scenarios that don't go exactly as planned. I personally think it's more risky to not be prepared for any such scenarios. We're all entitled to our own opinions though

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I agree with you there. But tarantulas don't always cooperate with the catch cup. I've had to pack 3 MMs for transport (so far), and not only did not one of them opt to cooperate when going into their containers, a catch cup was also inefficient because that offered them the option to hide in the wrong container. Not being afraid to use my hands or have them climb on me if they eluded the cup and any tools made it as calm a process as possible when they were being stubborn.

As I stated before: it's not that I think handling should be done, but I just think it's foolish to not be prepared at all for any scenarios that don't go exactly as planned. I personally think it's more risky to not be prepared for any such scenarios. We're all entitled to our own opinions though
Fair enough. I see what you’re saying, and agree with you to an extent. But one could also argue that getting comfortable with Ts climbing onto you is not necessarily a good thing. One should, instead, grow accustomed to working with Ts without the need to ever use your bare hands. That way, if one decides to keep OWs, that skill will already be there. Tarantulas can always be dealt with using cups and prodding tools, no matter how stubborn. There’s nothing your hands can accomplish that prodding tools can’t.

devinc

Arachnopeon
Hello again!
I ending up putting in an order for two 1 inch caribena versicolor slings. Although these will be my first Ts, I am not at all new to the invert hobby so I’m pretty confident dude that that with y’alls help I’ll be able to keep these babies happy and healthy! He was nice enough to hold off shipping until after I am back home from my Christmas travels, so I have a little time to make sure I have my enclosures properly set up.
My first question is about the container. I picked these two up at the Container Store this weekend and wondering which would be a more appropriate size for a 1 inch sling.
The one on the left measures 3 x 2.5 x 4.5in, and the one in the right measures 3.75 x 3.5 x 4in.
I have a drill and soldering iron so I’ll be able to make some nice holes in either of them.
Let me know your thoughts. Once I know which container to go with I’ll set it all up and post again. Thanks!

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My first question is about the container. I picked these two up at the Container Store this weekend and wondering which would be a more appropriate size for a 1 inch sling.
The one on the left measures 3 x 2.5 x 4.5in, and the one in the right measures 3.75 x 3.5 x 4in.
I have a drill and soldering iron so I’ll be able to make some nice holes in either of them.
Let me know your thoughts. Once I know which container to go with I’ll set it all up and post again. Thanks!
Either of those could work, but I'd use the 3.75" x 3.5" x 4", as it will give you a little more room (horizontally) for furnishings.

Make sure none of the holes exceeds the size of a sling's carapace. (If it can squeeze its carapace through, it can get out.)

devinc

Arachnopeon
Either of those could work, but I'd use the 3.75" x 3.5" x 4", as it will give you a little more room (horizontally) for furnishings.

Make sure none of the holes exceeds the size of a sling's carapace. (If it can squeeze its carapace through, it can get out.)
Alright, I think I’m happy with my set ups.
The cocofiber is wet right now because I had to get it wet to expand and break it apart. It will be dry by the time my slings arrive next week. Also I still need a bottle cap for the second enclosure.
I took a cork round and broke the tube in half lengthwise and broke of some appropriately tall pieces which I got glued some aquarium plants to. I shoved some spagnum moss behind it for a little added stability.
I used a soldering iron to like the holes. I poked A LOT, around all 4 sides. Better too many than not enough, right? The holes are smaller than they appear, the plastic is relatively thick and it took a bit of melting to get through it.
Let me know if there’s anything I should move or change! Thank you!

Attachments