Advice on which active arboreal to get

devinc

Arachnopeon
Hello there!
I am about to take my first foray into the world of tarantulas and would love some advice and opinions on your favorite types of arboreals for beginners.
I am looking for something arboreal and active. I would love a little friend who is out and about in its enclosure, and is not super skittish. I would also like something that is not super defensive. I am not looking to handle it, I just want to be able to do cage maintenance with about being totally scared for the safety of my fingers. I have read about the kicking hairs and that sounds quite unpleasant.
I do love the Caribena Versicolor, and am probably leaning towards some kind of Avic (SO FLUFFY), but the only Versicolor I can currently find online is 1/2in. from Fear Not Tarantulas. I am worried it will be very slow growing, but I do like the idea of watching it's color change as it grows up. Does anyone know how quickly this species grows?
I am not new to the world of inverts (own many types of beetles currently and previously had hissers), so I am relatively confident I will be able to handle something active and arboreal, but am still looking for something more beginner level to start with.

TL;DR:
Looking for: Active, arboreal, not defensive, cute (possibly Avic?).

Thanks all! <3

Liquifin

Arachnoking
C. versicolor grows super fast, expect insane growth if you have one. It does like to web and is active depending on the specimen. Mines is actively webbing and tearing its enclosure every week. But mine is also an oddball. Mines is actually defensive on its bolus/poop. And always throws threat postures or tries to run out on me when I do get them. But like I said, most C. versicolor are fast growers and attitude ranges from specimen to specimen. My friends versicolor is chill as a brick, while mines is a pain in the collection. A. avic is also a good choice and care is pretty much the same as C. versicolor, growth for my A. avic (when I had one) was medium-fast, but the C. versicolor growth was faster IME. My A. avic was more of a chill spider than my versicolor, but I gave him away penultimate to a friend of mine with a female, which his was somewhat defensive but not aggressive. In conclusion, both are great choices. But attitude is up to the individual specimen in the end.

cold blood

Staff member
In general, the best beginner species will be terrestrial. Avic types, especially that versicolor you've been eyeing do make great first arboreal, but not necessarily the best first t....this is due to them being more sensitive to husbandry mistakes, so it really helps to get basic husbandry down with a hardliner terrestrial species. There really are a ton of cool, and beautiful terrestrial species that make great firsts.

Some good choices would be...
B. albopilosum B. cabocla B. hamorii
G. pulchripes
P. scrofa
B. albiceps
And, if you can find one...T. cyaneolum

Now if you are hellbent on going straight to the avics, although I don't suggest it because I've seen way too many of them die in first time owners possession, I am also not going to sit here and pretend it can't be done, and if you read here for your info and really listen to help (and be willing to ask), you will increase chances for success.

I would suggest a juvenile or adult to start though, they're at least a little hardier. Adult A. avics are easy to find, cheap, and pretty nice looking...

If a sling is what you really want, a C. versicolor would be the best choice....they grow faster, are less picky with food than many Avic types, and because of this, are probably the easiest to raise.....I would suggest getting more than one though.

Now all of them (tarantulas in general) tend to be inactive more often than not, so being visible will have to suffice. Everything listed here will tend to be visible as adults. Also all ts can, and arboreals will pretty much always hide for extended periods throughout their lives (pre-molt)....part of the reason many of us have a bunch of them.

Welcome to the hobby, and the boards....ask a lot of questions if you need to.

Last edited:

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
I wouldn’t call my A. avic or C. versi active. Most of the time they are chilling in their web, with the occasional stroll. At least they aren’t hiding under a bunch of dirt like my terrestrials

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
In general, the best beginner species will be terrestrial
Or... a middle ground between arboreal and terrestrials would be the GBB, chromatopelma cyneopubescens. Beautiful colours as sling and adult, semi arboreal, great eaters and pretty hardy. Also heavy webbsrs which is awesome to watch!

cold blood

Staff member
Or... a middle ground between arboreal and terrestrials would be the GBB, chromatopelma cyneopubescens. Beautiful colours as sling and adult, semi arboreal, great eaters and pretty hardy. Also heavy webbsrs which is awesome to watch!
They are terrestrial...they can also be skittish and flicky, something the OP seemed to want to avoid.

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
They are terrestrial...they can also be skittish and flicky, something the OP seemed to want to avoid.
Mine has barely set foot on the ground since i got it!;) Didn't think of the hairs and skittishness of them though oops. OP don't listen to my advice, my signature explains why...

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Spiders are “lie-and-wait” ambush predators that have adapted to very low nutritional requirements. They are masters of conserving energy by doing very little. With that said, it’s best not to expect any species to be very “active.” They will do stuff occassionally (mostly at night), but it will be separated by long periods of “meditation.”

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'd recommend a juvenile A. avicularia/metallica if you're dead set on having an arboreal as your first, these are usually commonly available. If you want a C. versicolor then you're probably going to have to get a sling but they do have a pretty decent growth rate (you're probably looking at 2-3 years to go from sling to adult). In any case, you are going to want to read the care guide I've linked below.

avicularia-care

Obligatory pics (I sold the juvenile a while ago but still have the male and female).
View media item 51441View media item 47156View media item 48525
semi arboreal
Ugh........ What @cold blood said.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Looking for: Active, arboreal, not defensive, cute (possibly Avic?).
We don't commonly recommend arboreals as a first tarantula, because we see a lot of "help my dying Avic" threads posted by beginners. See @cold blood's post for some beginner terrestrial species.

That being said, I think they are doable with the proper guidance from experienced keepers. (My first two tarantulas were Avicularia avicularia, the first a mature female, and the second a juvenile female.) Stay away from caresheets, as the advice in them often leads people to create moist, stuffy enclosures that kill Avics.

Caribena versicolor or Avicularia avicularia would be the best option as a beginner starting with an arboreal. I would recommend a juvenile or adult as your first. While slings are doable with a little experience, they aren't as tolerant of beginner's errors as larger specimens.

These two threads contain helpful information:

I would strongly encourage you to post a photo of your setup (ideally before adding the tarantula) so that more experienced keepers can check for any issues that might jeopardize the health of your Avic.

Both of my larger Avics have been pretty laid back, though Skyler (the one I bought as a juvenile) usually retreats into her treehouse when I open the enclosure. (I now also have two cute but stubborn Avic slings, and time will tell what their temperaments will be like as they grow.)

I am looking for something arboreal and active.
Be aware that even the most "active" tarantulas spend most of their time sitting in one place.

I am not looking to handle it, I just want to be able to do cage maintenance with about being totally scared for the safety of my fingers. I have read about the kicking hairs and that sounds quite unpleasant.
Avics don't actually kick their hairs. They just rub their abdomens against what they perceive as a threat in order to embed hairs into the perceived threat. (This behavior is often mistaken by naive owners as the Avic enjoying being handled or petted.)

Their webbing is also embedded with hairs so if you have to clean out an old enclosure, wear gloves.

devinc

Arachnopeon
Wow I went to sleep and woke up with so many great replies! Thank you all so much! Thank you all for including photos as well, I always love seeing everyone's pics.

Could anyone tell me why it is that terrestrials are generally recommended first for beginners? I was just so drawn to arboreals because based on my reading they seemed to be a little less "pet rock" than terrestrials and find their enclosures more appealing. Plus those fluffy avics are the cutest spiders I have ever seen. I am open to a terrestrial I suppose, I would just want one that is actually out in the open and not always in its hide, and is a little more visually appealing to try to get my hesitant roommate onboard with me getting more T's eventually. She's alright with all of my beetles, but she's a little more wary of any type of large spider in the house. I think something "cute" would get her on board.

Based on everyone's advice I think I will be ordering something that's a larger juvie or adult to begin with. Seems like the safest route to go for my first no matter what species I get. I am not making any purchases or decisions until after the holidays, so if anyone else wants to chime in I would love to hear any more thoughts or opinions! And I will definitely be sure to post a photo of the enclosure in here before I add any Ts. Thanks again, everyone!

cold blood

Staff member
anyone tell me why it is that terrestrials are generally recommended first for beginners? I
Terrestrials are more forgiving to beginner mistakes....and as beginners, we all make mistakes as part if the learning process.

I would just want one that is actually out in the open and not always in its hide, and is a little more visually appealing to
Most beginner terrestrials fit this....all the ones i posted pics of are typically always out as adults.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Could anyone tell me why it is that terrestrials are generally recommended first for beginners?
Avicularia (and their kin) have a reputation for being more fragile; they are probably the #1 subject of "help, my tarantula is dying" threads. They really aren't that fragile when properly cared for, but they tolerate a narrower range of conditions.

The main reason that new keepers kill their Avics is that they are very likely to rely on poor advice from a pet store or Internet care sheet. Specifically, the focus on humidity misleads new keepers into creating moist, stuffy enclosures in a misguided attempt to reach some arbitrary humidity target, and these tarantulas quickly deteriorate in such conditions.

The common beginner terrestrials, on the other hand, don't usually immediately die from bad pet store or care sheet advice (unless you do something horrendous like cook it under a heat lamp).

If you have your heart set on Avicularia avicularia or Caribena versicolor, it is doable, but you should definitely post your setup in advance for feedback.

I am open to a terrestrial I suppose, I would just want one that is actually out in the open and not always in its hide, and is a little more visually appealing
Most of the commonly recommended beginner terrestrials are often out on display. That's part of what makes them beginner-friendly, since most new keepers don't want a pet hole (burrower) or a ghost.

devinc

Arachnopeon
That all makes a lot of sense, thank you for the clarification @Ungoliant !
I am going to hold off on getting anything until after I return home from the holidays, then I am going to see what larger juvies or adults I can find available and base my decision off of that, as well as all of the wonderful info everyone provided here. Thank you so much! Will definintely be positing enclosure pics before I add any Ts in.

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
One more suggestion I have for you just because I really want ine myself and it's one of the most beautiful tarantulas I have ever seen, Brachypelma boehmei. Google that guy. Its a terrestrial and generally considered a beginner friendly, although a little more skittish than most brachys. But god damn it is beautiful!

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
As long as you follow the care described on this site (not online care sheets or pet stores), I personally see nothing wrong with Avics or a C. versicolor as a first T. A versicolor sling was among my 3rd tarantulas (I got it alongside my LP, so they're both 3rd) and I got her within my first month of the hobby, so I was seriously a beginner.

The keys are lots of ventilation, enough elavated decor for them to make a proper den, keeping the substrate dry, and disregarding anything you see about misting and humidity. There's unfortunately tons of sources that say these guys need high humidity and low ventilation to maintain such high humidity. However, this is outdated information and actually a very quick way to kill your new pet.

They're decently fast growers, so you don't have to worry so much about their growth rate. My girl went from 3/4 inch to probably about 3.5 inches in a year and a half.

(I don't recommend handling, but I'd be a hypocrite if I said I never did, especially in the beginning. I personally think one should know how to handle should a near escape come about)
(Fresh from a molt)
(In heavy need of a molt)
20181116_231845.jpg
(Fresh from her most recent molt)

cold blood

Staff member
One more suggestion I have for you just because I really want ine myself and it's one of the most beautiful tarantulas I have ever seen, Brachypelma boehmei. Google that guy. Its a terrestrial and generally considered a beginner friendly, although a little more skittish than most brachys. But god damn it is beautiful!
Stunning, yes, beginner friendly, yes....but they have the worst hairs of any Brachypelma and the highest propensity to flick....their common name of fireleg isnt because of color, irs because of the burning sensation ftom the hairs.

B. emelia would be a great one to look at....nearly as stunning as boehmei, but a helluva lot calmer.