a noob's questions re: Aphonopelma sp. paysoni

geerdude

Arachnopeon
Brachypelma aren't typically spiders that will "bolt."

That said, they aren't spiders that I would handle, my emilia, smithi and vagans all kick hairs regularly. The emilia and smithi kick at the slightest disturbance, and the vagans aren't afraid to throw up threat displays either.

Beautiful spiders though, so if one (or more) Brachypelma species interest you, get one, you just may not want to handle it.

Out of the 3 you listed (boehmei, emilia and smithi) they are all going to be likely to kick hairs, so go for the one you like best in terms of looks.
I don't intend to handle my T's (note I used plural :D) a whole lot, if at all. That last thing I want is dropping it by accident, and worse yet, in the moment of freaking out I step on it!

It's a tide between boehmei and emilia.

geerdude

Arachnopeon
Update

A little update:

She molted while i was away and came out of her lair!

255928_10150708173625217_643235216_19428359_290700_o.jpg

259469_10150707971015217_643235216_19428316_3781122_o.jpg

more questions:
1. She looks quite different after the molt and appears to have some red hair now... does she still look like a A. sp. paysoni??????? (not that it matters, she looks gorgeous!) If not, what could she possibly be?

2. She could've molted anywhere from last Friday to Yesterday (June 27). When's the best time to feed her? I've read anywhere from one week to two.

PS: Her name is Mo, as in "Monroe", as in the most famous blonde "Marilyn Monroe"

geerdude

Arachnopeon
Brachypelma aren't typically spiders that will "bolt."

That said, they aren't spiders that I would handle, my emilia, smithi and vagans all kick hairs regularly. The emilia and smithi kick at the slightest disturbance, and the vagans aren't afraid to throw up threat displays either.

Beautiful spiders though, so if one (or more) Brachypelma species interest you, get one, you just may not want to handle it.

Out of the 3 you listed (boehmei, emilia and smithi) they are all going to be likely to kick hairs, so go for the one you like best in terms of looks.
I decided on B. emilia and got the T from tarantulacanada.ca (Amanda was so helpful and patient with this noob!)

She is a 2 y.o. approx. 1.5" female... any idea how often they molt at that age?