a noob's questions re: Aphonopelma sp. paysoni

geerdude

Arachnopeon
Though i've done tons of research, I'm still a noob so please help and be gentle :)

I bought my first T on Monday, it's a juvenile Aphonopelma sp. paysoni almost 2" in size. Here's a pic:

T 2.jpg

She was just fed (and very well) not long ago and since she's in a new home, I decided not to feed her for a few days. She found her new hiding place:

T 1.jpg

She occasionally would come out but generally not very active. Then this morning I found out she completely closed off her hiding place:

T 6.jpg

You can still see her eyes so she's not on her back yet.

T 7.jpg

Questions:
1. This is a species that I had never seen in local pet stores before (Calgary, Canada). Does it look right to you or still too young to tell?

2. Is she (assuming it's a female) in premolt? I hadn't had a chance to find out if she would refuse food and I couldn't tell if her belly was getting darker.

3. If she's in premolt, she'll likely not have any food for another two weeks. Is it ok for a T at that age to go without food for 3 + weeks?

4. My guess is I should just leave her alone until she digs out of her burrow?

5. How often should I mist the tank, being a desert species but about to molt?

Many thanks in advance.

PS: She has no name yet. Suggestions?

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
This isn't a species I am overly familiar with, so I can't say if it "looks right," but it's a nice spider regardless. :)

As far as sealing off it's hide, not to worry, it knows what it's doing and will come out when it's ready. From the pics, it looks well fed, and it won't do any harm to go without food until it's molted and ready. My G. pulchripes, when she was about the same size, sealed herself off for almost 6 weeks.

I wouldn't mist the tank, but wet one corner of the substrate to keep some humidity in there (not soaking wet, I tend to keep one corner damp for my slings that like it dry.) Misting doesn't really do much and being a species that likes it dry, will only irritate it.

Just leave it be, and it will do it's thing. It still never fails to amaze me how hardy tarantulas are.

geerdude

Arachnopeon
This isn't a species I am overly familiar with, so I can't say if it "looks right," but it's a nice spider regardless. :)
This is the first time I have seen this species here. Most of the stores carry the usual G. rosea, G. pulchripes and occasionally Brachypelma T's.

So she's in premolt?

Shell

Staff member
I can't really tell from the pics to be honest, but typically (from my experience) that's why they seal themselves up. At this point, it's just a wait and see kinda thing.

geerdude

Arachnopeon
I can't really tell from the pics to be honest, but typically (from my experience) that's why they seal themselves up. At this point, it's just a wait and see kinda thing.
No problem! She was well fed before she decided to bury herself. I'll just let her be and keep the water dish filled.

One more question, for a 2" T, what's the best food? cricket or mealworm? both?

Thanks again!

Shell

Staff member
I prefer to use crickets, but either one is ok. As are roaches, if you can get your hands on them.

mickey66

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A.payson

first, looks right for it's size.....in a year or two it will molt into another color form/ sub-adult/ juvi colors.....they may be blond or dark brown.......if its a female it will keep those colors if its a male the mature molt it will molt into a black spider and hook out. these grow very slow but live a long time. DON'T MIST THE TANK...DON'T USE A SPONGE USE A WATER DISH FEED CRICKETS....THAT'S IT.

Last edited:

synyster

Arachnobaron
It looks well fed and as Shell said, let it do it's thing. Water dish full and it should be fine. It definately looks like an Aphonopelma sp. but can't elaborate which species. Stick to crickets and it'll be fine, there's no need to go on a hunt for roaches cause you won't find any for sale in Canada since their illegal here. Everything seem's fine overall;)

geerdude

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys. I just checked this morning and could still see her eyes so she hasn't flipped.

What's the smallest amount of crickets / mealworms the pet stores sell? I hate to have to buy 100 crickets and only need a few for a single T. {D

I've read that the species classification in the Aphonopelma family is "a mess". What exactly does that mean?

synyster

Arachnobaron
Thanks guys. I just checked this morning and could still see her eyes so she hasn't flipped.

What's the smallest amount of crickets / mealworms the pet stores sell? I hate to have to buy 100 crickets and only need a few for a single T. {D

I've read that the species classification in the Aphonopelma family is "a mess". What exactly does that mean?
Usually you should be able to buy them individually, ½dozen, dozen, etc...

And the Aphonopela genus being a mess, well, easily explained I guess would be that there are alot of Aphonopelma sp. "name" so they are officially categorized as a determined species. I.e: Aphonopelma hentzi vs Aphonopelma sp. "paysoni"... I'm sure you get it;)

geerdude

Arachnopeon
Usually you should be able to buy them individually, ½dozen, dozen, etc...

And the Aphonopela genus being a mess, well, easily explained I guess would be that there are alot of Aphonopelma sp. "name" so they are officially categorized as a determined species. I.e: Aphonopelma hentzi vs Aphonopelma sp. "paysoni"... I'm sure you get it;)
Gotcha! No wonder hentzi, "paysoni", "flagstaff", "new river"... they all look kinda the same to me. My favourite species name is "Mt Hopkins Rd" :worship:

geerdude

Arachnopeon
Update and couple more questions:

She opened the "enclosure" and pushed it out a little two days ago

View attachment 90862

and i managed to take a couple of pix of her belly before she went back in

View attachment 90863

IMG00120-20110608-0613.jpg

Does it look like she is getting ready for molt? Her belly seems a bit darker but not "black" like some of the premolt pix I have seen.

It's been over 2 weeks since she ate, should i try to feed her? How do I know if she needs to eat, esp. she just hides inside? Should I try sticking a couple of mealworms inside to see if she'll feed? I am reluctant to do that esp. if she is indeed in premolt.

I am somewhat concerned about her well being. Many thanks!

Last edited:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You should really find a way to plug up that little hole in the coconut. I've heard reports of a T trying to squeeze through holes like that (in clay pots) and getting stuck or (gasp) even tearing off their own abdomen trying to escape.

As for the premolt question, either she is or she isn't. Stop feeding her for 2 weeks (she'll be fine). If by then she hasn't molted, offer food again. If she refuses it remove the prey and wait a while longer. These animals can survive many months without food, particularly arid, slow metabolism T's like Aphonopelma, Grammostolla, etc.

Relax, Let her be, wait... Tarantula keeping is an exercise in patience.

Edit: Also, it is fairly common for a young T to molt very quickly after being moved to a new, larger home. It's almost like they were "holding it" until they had plenty of space. I've seen this with probably 30-40% of newly purchased, smaller spiders.

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a "Payson blonde" just a molt or so larger than yours and they seem very similar in appearance at the same size. As for being premolt, that's really hard to say. My Aphonopelma immatures often "hole up" for no apparent reason. I usually continue to introduce food as usual and often the food will disappear overnight. If not I remove the cricket and try the next feeding time. I do this until they miss multiple feedings or show more definitive premolt indicators (dark abdomen, obvious avoidance of cricket, sluggishness). I would try feeding yours again, but I would use crickets. Mealworms will quickly burrow if not eaten and you'll have a possibly detrimental insect in your enclosure if your T does decide to molt.

geerdude

Arachnopeon
She covered the opening with more silk last night. I assume that means she does not want to be disturbed and does not want to come out. Should I even try throwing in a couple crickets anyway? In the open or break the silk and right in the hide? Or she'll come out once she's ready to eat?

Shell

Staff member
She covered the opening with more silk last night. I assume that means she does not want to be disturbed and does not want to come out. Should I even try throwing in a couple crickets anyway? In the open or break the silk and right in the hide? Or she'll come out once she's ready to eat?
I wouldn't destroy what it's done to try and put food in the hide, as said, it knows what it's doing and they can go a while without food. If it opens up the entrance again, then go ahead and throw a cricket in and see what happens, just make to remove it, if it doesn't eat.

geerdude

Arachnopeon
She completely closed off the opening again... that's pretty much her "Do Not Disturb" sign, i.e. no feeding until she comes out of hiding.

PS: In your opinion, which brachypelma is the most docile and a "non-runner from your hand up your arm"? B. boehmei, B. emilia or B. smithi?

Shell

Staff member
Brachypelma aren't typically spiders that will "bolt."

That said, they aren't spiders that I would handle, my emilia, smithi and vagans all kick hairs regularly. The emilia and smithi kick at the slightest disturbance, and the vagans aren't afraid to throw up threat displays either.

Beautiful spiders though, so if one (or more) Brachypelma species interest you, get one, you just may not want to handle it.

Out of the 3 you listed (boehmei, emilia and smithi) they are all going to be likely to kick hairs, so go for the one you like best in terms of looks.