A. metallica, or something else??

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
it gets worse this came up in a another thread A.purpurea i kept over 6 years and bred to a 3rd gen before i sold up (not being a bighead just so you know how well i know them) mine all looked like this http://www.birdspiders.com/index.cf...l&imageid=15B024CAKD0B7KAEC2K1455E4B72B1C3360 ok this is also a A.purpurea at John Hokes site http://www.e-spiderworld.com/gallery/pages/Avicularia purpureaF.htm see no banding no white tipping :? which is right well probably both, like Brendan said one big colour morph :D

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Vys the giant pink toe is A.Braunshaunseni its bigger has less green and blue on it and more red hairs on the back pair of legs leg 4 having the most oh and its said to be quite nasty compared to other's in the A.avicularia complex.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fry: {D
Well, afaik, no hobbyist with a 'braunshauseni' has so far been able to say with 100% accuracy that it is indeed a 'braunshauseni' ..all I've heard is 'It looks exactly like my A.avic, but, we'll see when it grows up'..those characteristics you mentioned seem....dead on, considering what genus they're in.. ;)

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Yes 100% right but many ppl with them and some of the other A.avicularia variants will argue until the cows come home that it is this or that, never send them to buy snakes or fish that’s all I can say (JK ;) )

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the pics BearSkin. I took a look at my T and it appears to have more red than I first thought. Still, it looks more like the male than the female. Perhaps I do have a male after all. How long do I have to mate this guy after he loses his color?

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Its been a long time but if i remember most avic males last the standerd year or so A.versi iv had one close to 2 years A.purp some times only 7-10 months (the smaller ones), some times they go off the boil after 6 months so but getting them around the females nuff will normaly bounce them right back.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I never realised how blue these guys are. I've only had him for a few days and hes sooooo bright blue under a light. :D

It's to bad hes done for so soon, but I suppose It would be worth the investment to find him a lady.

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ker said:
Emily was purchased as an avic. metallica, but as usual, I have a spider that doesnt look like others say she should, nor does she look like any picture I have seen of the metallica. Just another odd spider color for my collection, or is this something unexpected??
Some tips for making your Avic look like a metallica-

1) Take picture under extremely bright light
2) Overexpose the film
3) Photoshop the picture, sharpen image, sharpen edges, add lighting effects
4) Add $100 to the sale price of your A. avic

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
JakeRocks said:
Definitely NOT A. metallica . Looks a lot like A. avicularia .

Later,

Jake
There is no way to know the difference between A. Metallica and A. Avic just by looking at a picture, infact you can't tell even if you have one up close. I've taken an adult A. Avic and A. Metallica from known bloodlines and put them side by side, looked at them under a magnifying glass. Trust me. The only people who claim to know for sure are people who are trying to sell a $100 A. Avic

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
pitbulllady said:
Looks like an Avic. avicularia to me. My Avic. metallica does not have any red on her abdomen, and is a WHOLE lot fuzzier. She has these white-tipped "fiber optic" hairs all over, especially on her legs, which is what gives this species their name. My Avic. avicularia, on the other hand, looks EXACTLY like your Emily, except she isn't quite that large yet.

By the way, aren't you worried about her jumping and running off outside? My Avics are both prone to doing that, and I'm not sure I could catch them if they took off outside! My Avic. avic is also an avid "Projectile Pooper"! I wish mine were as calm as Emily appears to be!

pitbulllady
I've seen metallicas with and without red hairs. Also the fiber optic effect is just a matter of lighting. I can make any A. Avic light up like a christmas tree on film given the right lighting.

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You have to have fiberoptic hairs to " light up" and I can tell you that my poor Emily most certainly doesnt have them. Matter of fact, she barely has any hairs on those skinny legs of hers. I have done some looking into this, and thanks to Swifts Gallery ( thank you Swifty !! ), and the excellant quality photos of both species, I have been able to come to the conclusion that Miss Emily is an Avic. avic. Thanks also to those who helped with the identifying via email. Now comes the fun part.. dealing with the dealer !!

Last edited:

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ker said:
You have to have fiberoptic hairs to " light up" and I can tell you that my poor Emily most certainly doesnt have them. Matter of fact, she barely has any hairs on those skinny legs of hers. I have done some looking into this, and thanks to Swifts Gallery ( thank you Swifty !! ), and the excellant quality photos of both species, I have been able to come to the conclusion that Miss Emily is an Avic. avic. Thanks also to those who helped with the identifying via email. Now comes the fun part.. dealing with the dealer !!
So who was the dealer?

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Who the dealer was that sold her to me is not something that I am going to discuss at this time. I am giving them the oportunity to make good on this, and reimburse me the money that they charged that they shouldnt have, or at least offer a credit equal to this amount.

I guess, that this is a good example of a reason to do lots of research on t's before actually buying one. I was VERY new to the hobby at that point, never having seen an avic. metallica ( I had barely even hreard of them!!). I just wanted a spider that was not only beautiful, but was handleable. Now, mind you, that is exactly what I got, but I am disappointed in the way they handled the sale. I will keep everyone informed, and if this turns into something that deserves more attention, I will bring it to light.

Oh, but you all can relax... its not any of the "regular" dealers who are actively involved on this site!! I have had nothing but good experiences with all of them, and expect to have nothing but in the future.

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
uh huh, research is a good thing short stuff ;P

Wolvie(joe :} )

XxAWoLxX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well i hope emily is a. metalica because she look's just like the "a. metalica that i bought today for $39.99 and if it is an a. avi i got screwed because i can pick thous up for $15.00 all day long

XxAWoLxX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well i hope emily is a. metalica because she look's just like the "a. metalica that i bought today for $39.99 and if it is an a. avi i got screwed because i can pick thous up for $15.00 all day long :mad:

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
I should really not say this but.. when the revision of Avicularia goes thought the s*** will hit the fan big time, ppl will feel cheated if species like A.gerold are made syno's of A.avicularia ppl will be up in arms which would be silly after all if you pay a bit more for say a ghost corn then a normal corn have you been ripped off NO, on the another hand and this is very unlightly but you never know if some of the species considered to be colour morphs/races ARE found to be true species with out a massive redescription of them the breeder/importer/hobbyist will have a nightmare trying to keep them pure as captive lines.

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
People can argue all day long and it will never be settled. For me its a simple choice to make. I like my T for what she is, but let me tell you, she was expensive as hell to begin with ( I got tsked tsked by Razor ), but not only that but as a beginner, I knew a million times more than the person who was actually selling the T to me because the normal person wasnt there to deal with customers. Maybe I am jumping the gun, and maybe I am being overly harsh, but if you dont know precisely what you are selling, then maybe selling it as a sp. with a ?? after it would be a good idea. I have looked through countless pictures at this point, and although its not a foolproof way to do this, its the only way I have, and Emily is NOT.. I repeat.. is NOT.. what would be considered a Metallic anything. Poor thing is cute as a button, but shes a fuzzless, greenish blue T with no bulk to her at all, and spindley legs that a model would envy. I would recommend that people look at Swifts Gallery. The difference between an avic avic and the avic metallica is fairly clear in those pics.. and Em is a mirror image of the avic avic featured there. Maybe there have been mixups, maybe they are really only one species with different "hair-dos", but I dont believe that I should pay the difference by any means. If they want to sell metallics, maybe they should have picked t's that actually looked like them, or maybe they should have had someone there to explain it to me instead of deciding which species they had by the price it would bring.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
If the spiders in good nick and your happy with it you have been over charge but not really been ripped off, ok back when i first bred A.met i did not now what the differences were, i had bought the female i was looking to breed as a A.avic sling so when i was asked by the chap i loaned the male from if i needed a A.met or a A.avic male from him i did not know i just said A.avic after all that’s what the label said, so the slings came to pass and i kept some they grew up to look just like mom yes A.met (by then i had got normal A.avic and bred them to) so i tried mating a son back to the A.met mother again i kept a few back and grew them on and they grew too look like yup A.met again, also i remember buying slings of A.nigroteatiana as lad in the 80's the chap selling them did warn ppl that "these are very like the common pinktoe" and you know he was right {D