catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Rare sighting of my large female Haplopelma lividum

Some shots of one of my fresh female Heterothele gabonensis

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well i was rehousing her and her sister, and getting them ready for pairing in a few days. This one i was actually trying to get onto a piece of corkbark for pictures, but instead she bolted onto my hand, so i figured that would work. They are much faster than GBBs, and much more skittish. Being they are old world, they are in a class of thier own, putting all new world to shame.
She did about 6 laps around my hand in one second. Yep she and her sister are maxed out at that size. Love this species. Hopefully this time i can have better luck at stealing the sacs at 5 days and incubating them. Both females have already triple clutched for me, but as much as they love producing sacs, and guarding them, they also love eating them :(.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well i was rehousing her and her sister, and getting them ready for pairing in a few days. This one i was actually trying to get onto a piece of corkbark for pictures, but instead she bolted onto my hand, so i figured that would work. They are much faster than GBBs, and much more skittish. Being they are old world, they are in a class of thier own, putting all new world to shame.
She did about 6 laps around my hand in one second. Yep she and her sister are maxed out at that size. Love this species. Hopefully this time i can have better luck at stealing the sacs at 5 days and incubating them. Both females have already triple clutched for me, but as much as they love producing sacs, and guarding them, they also love eating them :(.

I had a feeling they were faster than GBBs, it was the only NW species I have that reminded me of them from the pieces I heard. So GBBs on steroids!! They are certainly are pretty, and SMALL. I love small Ts. They are more slender and appear to be smaller than female E. sp Red/Yellows too based on the DLS I see.

Good eaters, burrowers I take it too? Are they out a lot, like GBBs can be?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They are alot smaller than E. sp Red/yellow. These are comparable to wolf spider size. E. sp Red/Yellow are more P. scrofa sized, somewhere around 3" or a little more. The gabbies are about 1.75, pushing 2". They are good eaters, but they are considered arboreal. But they use the substrate and webbing to make vertical tunnels and walls like a Psalmopoeus would. They dont really hide, but with all the vertical tunnels and webbing they do, it makes it kind of hard to see them. The best way to see them, is to turn the enclosure in circles, and look for voids in the webbing and substrate, and hope to find a viewing spot. I just rehoused them from 40 dram vials into 32 ounce deli cups. Hoping they will make some nice looking homes.
I had a feeling they were faster than GBBs, it was the only NW species I have that reminded me of them from the pieces I heard. So GBBs on steroids!! They are certainly are pretty, and SMALL. I love small Ts. They are more slender and appear to be smaller than female E. sp Red/Yellows too based on the DLS I see.

Good eaters, burrowers I take it too? Are they out a lot, like GBBs can be?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are alot smaller than E. sp Red/yellow. These are comparable to wolf spider size. E. sp Red/Yellow are more P. scrofa sized, somewhere around 3" or a little more. The gabbies are about 1.75, pushing 2". They are good eaters, but they are considered arboreal. But they use the substrate and webbing to make vertical tunnels and walls like a Psalmopoeus would. They dont really hide, but with all the vertical tunnels and webbing they do, it makes it kind of hard to see them. The best way to see them, is to turn the enclosure in circles, and look for voids in the webbing and substrate, and hope to find a viewing spot. I just rehoused them from 40 dram vials into 32 ounce deli cups. Hoping they will make some nice looking homes.
I haven't read up on them at all yet. I know I like their size and colors. Wolf spider size oh wow. I didn't know they were arboreal, I thought for sure they weren't based on the shape of their terminal leg segments. They don't seem to have the enlarged ends that Pokis and Avics have, maybe it's just the pic.

Yeah my irminia makes odd homes compared to my terrestrials and arboreals. It's now about 2 maybe 2.5" DLS, and while it's been living in a vertical home, it recently made a terrestrial back door that it uses. But when it's out, which is almost all the time actually, it sits atop the web tube. I have to transfer it to a new home because where it rests, is too close to the lid. I THOUGHT it was going to burrow a bit more into the substrate I provided, but it didn't burrow at all. It used to do that when it was a tiny. So the transition in its living arrangements has occurred.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

Oh hell, yeah! I remember my H. villosella showing me her speed a few times. Not too bad, but their insane direction changes makes them hard to recapture usually. Sidenote: There have been mentionings that this genus would have a venom potency close to H. maculata actually. My female was usually more flight than fight, only threated me once during the initial housing when I got her, but is there anything over the pond that would support that?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Harpactira pulchripes freshly molted

Monocentropus balfouri

Ornithoctoninae sp. Laos "Prison Des Abeilles" freshly molted

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
No not really. I have 5 of them, and they all molt before i even know they are in premolt.