A Avicularia enclosure

s dave

Arachnopeon
Ok, work woke me up at 4am so I checked the enclosure and I think I'm going to be ok as far as escapes. It looks like her carapace is just thicker than the vents.

But as a precaution I will use something to divide the width of the venting to be narrower than her carapace. It's no ideal, but better than searching my moderate record collection for a missing spider

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They can flatten as thin as their carapace. People think they're good if vent holes/ slots are smaller than the abdomen, but the abdomen is pliable and is able to squeeze through any gap the carapace can fit through.

I can't tell based on the images, but if your Ts carapace is thicker than those vent slots then you shouldn't have an escape.
I always like showing people that one.

Ok, work woke me up at 4am so I checked the enclosure and I think I'm going to be ok as far as escapes. It looks like her carapace is just thicker than the vents.

But as a precaution I will use something to divide the width of the venting to be narrower than her carapace. It's no ideal, but better than searching my moderate record collection for a missing spider
Eye balling, and you think just thicker haha, another pair of eyes would say just thin enough...take the precautions

Last edited by a moderator:

s dave

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone for the advice and this is the new setup. @jrh3 for sending me to target, this was the closest enclosure they had to what you showed me. Added more foliage to the top of the cork bark and drilled 35 vents on the left/right, 14 top, and 21 on the front/back. Hopefully that will be enough. And there is no venting that he T can squeeze through, I'm 100% positive.

Attachments

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Thanks everyone for the advice and this is the new setup. @jrh3 for sending me to target, this was the closest enclosure they had to what you showed me. Added more foliage to the top of the cork bark and drilled 35 vents on the left/right, 14 top, and 21 on the front/back. Hopefully that will be enough. And there is no venting that he T can squeeze through, I'm 100% positive.
First of all... as an old timer... welcome! Second, nice to see another fellow "Illinoisian" on the boards. Third, definitely a smaller enclosure is better here. Something with height, like a 32oz deli cup like what you got here from target. I keep all my 1/2" - 2" arboreal slings in 32oz deli cups.

s dave

Arachnopeon
First of all... as an old timer... welcome! Second, nice to see another fellow "Illinoisian" on the boards. Third, definitely a smaller enclosure is better here. Something with height, like a 32oz deli cup. I keep all my 1/2" - 2" arboreal slings in 32ox deli cups.
Nice Swanson! I'll pack more dry substrate to limit the height and make it safer. I was thinking arboreal and giving it room vertically.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Nice Swanson! I'll pack more dry substrate to limit the height and make it safer. I was thinking arboreal and giving it room vertically.
Looks good to me, everyone will have their own opinions on what to use, but that setup is fully capable of housing your sling just the way it is. Arboreals dont generally fall so height isn't that big of an issue. Forgot to add i would drill 3 holes on each side down by the substrate.