1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Avicularia enclosure

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by Shawn Smith, Feb 11, 2019 at 4:30 PM.

1. Shawn Smith

Shawn Smith Arachnopeon

Chicago
    Advertisement
    Hi everyone, I just got my first T and I have been lurking here for just over a month, binged Tom Moran's YouTube channel, blog, and podcast.

First I'd like to thank everyone for their input and care advice. I feel like after reading here (particularly this thread and post by viper69 about a avic care http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461399 ) I am as prepared as I can be for this T.

I know this housing is not perfect and could be a bit taller/deeper but it's what I have to work with for now. I plan on getting a better enclosure at the expo in Chicago next month but is this acceptable and are there things that I can change to make this T more comfortable? A Avicularia https://imgur.com/a/0kwGRKB

Thanks and the pack of smokes is for size comparison

Sorry the imgur link broke... files are here

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2019 at 5:24 PM
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Old Timer

Well, that is a terrestrial set up and your T is arboreal...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. jrh3

jrh3 Arachnoknight Active Member

Depending on how big your Avic is, you will be suprised how they can slide right through those slots on a critter keeper. Just a tip from someone who had one get out. Here is what i use. These are 6 bucks at target. C4EC8B16-4DB1-4E99-AE93-757DA902D8D9.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Avicularia Kael

Avicularia Kael Arachnopeon Active Member

At his T's age and size it should be fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnobaron Active Member

Iowa
    The size looks good in relation to the T, though for arboreals height is more important than floor space. It'd be far more ideal if there was a way to vertically turn the enclosure but the lid makes that rather difficult. I'm not a huge fan of using KKs for arboreals (specifically avics and other arboreals that share their webbing habits) and prefer to use those plastic canisters you can get from Walmart for a buck or two - they have the small and large ones that will be suitable for slings and juvies. They're also really easy to ventilate. If you're set on using this enclosure though, it'll work.

Biggest thing I can say about this setup specifically is that you may want more foliage at the top of that cork bark. As is, it'll more than likely migrate to one of the upper corners of the lid and make its web there, making it a real pain in the butt whenever you need to remove it.

Other than that, it looks like you've got the basics - dry sub, good water dish, plenty of ventilation and a vertically placed piece of cork bark. You could probably add a second slab or some other decor to climb and web up, as well.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 3:56 AM
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Shawn Smith

Shawn Smith Arachnopeon

Chicago
    Thanks for the input, it was kind of a surprise today but it's what I had to work with. @jrh3 I will look into those at target this weekend and possibly set something better up for the near future.

Thanks, I just feed her and shes happily chilling on the cork bark occasionally turning in a circle but I will look to add more foliage when I'm less likely to disturb her, possibly tomorrow after work.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2019 at 1:24 AM
  7. MissouriArachnophile

MissouriArachnophile Arachnoknight Active Member

I keep my mature male L. Violaceopes in a vertical large or xl Kk. Its tilted abit , but it works. I just dont trust the slot ventilation for a smaller t.

8. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

That setup looks perfect. I think some people don't realize a cage can be longer horizontally yet still be tall enough.

I personally slant all hides towards corners whenever possible. Especially Avicularia as it gives them more surfaces to web from.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. StepUp8

StepUp8 Arachnopeon

Not sure of what the size of your T is but I also received my avic in a container just like yours. Mine was even worse because it had just one plant, no cork bark and wrong substrate. I had it in there for a little over a month as a I figured out a better enclosure. That's to say... yours is probably going to be ok until you get a new setup.

10. Teal

My comment in regards to it being a terrestrial enclosure was about the hides/decor, NOT the style of enclosure. That enclosure can easily work for an Avic if set up better... i.e. arboreal hides/foliage.

11. Venom1080

Hmm, still disagree.

12. Teal

Not surprising. You disagree with me a lot :p

13. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Thank you for the kind compliment @Shawn Smith.

That will work. I prefer to give Avics more vertical space, but that will work. The only thing I would do are these 1. Give it some more foliage 2. Make sure it can't leave through the KK venting. It sure looks to me that your Avic carapace is thin enough that it could leave the KK.

If you can get a more arboreally oriented container, great! If not, for now this will be fine.

If you have questions, just post back here.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Venom1080

Twice isn't alot. I like you well enough. :hilarious:

• Love Love x 1
  15. Shawn Smith

Shawn Smith Arachnopeon

Chicago
    You're the second person to mention this and now I just had to go and take a second look to make sure it can't escape... full disclosure I'm a little arachnophobic, but working on it

Can she really flatten out that thin? 1/16"?

16. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnobaron Active Member

Why did you feel the need to stand up your cigarettes for the picture?

17. Shawn Smith

Shawn Smith Arachnopeon

Chicago
    Scale of enclosure size. It's what I had on hand that is pretty much a standard sized around the world give or take a little

18. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnobaron Active Member

I would also worry that the spider could get out fyi I would play it safe

19. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    No, that spider won't get out - I tried it. I tried a kritter keeper for my first Avic for a couple of months, but it became a pain in the behind, because the spider webbed the whole lid shut and I couldn't open anything without destroying all her hard work and have her jump out of the enclosure. It isn't a bad setup, an Avic can certainly live in there, but as soon as that spider starts webbing you are the one who will have problems, not your Avic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnobaron Active Member

Iowa
    They can flatten as thin as their carapace. People think they're good if vent holes/ slots are smaller than the abdomen, but the abdomen is pliable and is able to squeeze through any gap the carapace can fit through.

I can't tell based on the images, but if your Ts carapace is thicker than those vent slots then you shouldn't have an escape.

• Like Like x 2