5 Pulchras. Tough Investment Question

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Arrrghh,too may questions with MATH! :rolleyes:
If I had two bills laying around I'd buy'em! But- I have this wife and kids, house note, two car payments, high priced utilities, American dream I'm living... Why not just get a couple each payday, say $80.00 + $25.00 for shipping express. Even a slave to the grind like me could afford that (maybe).
End up with a nice round # of six. Your odds for a female would go up and you could always sell the extra even if five turned out to be male.
actually the best advise I saw in the thread. With the males maturing earliest this post made the most sense outside of buying an almost mature female plus slings. That way at least you would be able to have a female breeder on hand as males matured but then again you already ordered ;P ;P

Shagrath666

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you are wrong, every flip will be 50/50 regardless of the outcome of any other flip or combination of flips. This is a common gamblers fallacy the odds never change because of what happened previously. Every T in the group has a 50/50 chance of being male no matter what any of the others are :eek:
lol, oops I didn't read on to see all the other slams at your calc ;P ;P ;P
math is fun, and your right probability NEVER changes in a set amount of outcomes, but its the total of desired outcomes that changes the probability if you flip a coin it is 5050 ever time, but the probability goes down for the number of consecutive same outcomes or total same outcomes. just trying to elaborate for clarity, lots of people have a rough time with probability fcns

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well cross 5 slings off the availability list I just ordered them this morning. Thanks for the advice everybody.

My current list of spiders I own below.

5 G. Pulchra Slings Unsexed
1 B. Vagans Sling Unsexed
1 P. Murinus female 4"
1 A. Geniculata female 4"
1 G. Aureostriata female 2"

My current wish list

1 Singapore Blue Female
1 King Baboon Female
1 Avicularia Versicolor Female
1 Xenesthis Intermedia Female
1 T. Blondi or L. Parahybana Female

Phew, really glad to see this post. I was worried that by the time you finally decided to go and buy them, they would be sold out.

Sounds like you has some fun shopping. lol Nice choices. Enjoy!

Potemkin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you are wrong, every flip will be 50/50 regardless of the outcome of any other flip or combination of flips. This is a common gamblers fallacy the odds never change because of what happened previously. Every T in the group has a 50/50 chance of being male no matter what any of the others are :eek:
lol, oops I didn't read on to see all the other slams at your calc ;P ;P ;P
Every individual flip is 50/50 but when you evaluate the chances of one combination of flips coming up the odds become skewed.

If you flip a coin twice there are four possible outcomes. Either flip 1 and flip 2 are both tails, flip 1 and flip 2 are both heads, flip 1 is a head and flip 2 is a tail, or flip 1 is a tail and flip 2 is a head. The chances of one combination coming up is 1/4, but the chances of an individual flip being a head or a tail is 2/4, or 50/50.

It depends on whether you're trying to predict the next flip or evaluating the chances of an outcome of flips.

PS Shagrath, thanks for that equation! Does it change the outcome of my math, or is it just a more versatile tool?

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
awesome selection you picked and the pulchras are awesome... have to add something though, on your wishlist it says t.blondi. i suggest buying at least 3.. only cause their super hard to care for properly, their finicky, id suggest sticking to the parahybana but thats my 2 cents

Tjohns

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
awesome selection you picked and the pulchras are awesome... have to add something though, on your wishlist it says t.blondi. i suggest buying at least 3.. only cause their super hard to care for properly, their finicky, id suggest sticking to the parahybana but thats my 2 cents
I do like the parahybana and lb for lb both species could be considered to be the largest T. The problem is if I show some noob my collection and they ask if I have a goliath and I say I have a parahybana they are going to think I was too cheap to get the goliath. lol. I could just get them both though....;)

My very next purchase on that wish list is the A. Versicolor though I like them the more I see and read about them.

Shagrath666

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
PS Shagrath, thanks for that equation! Does it change the outcome of my math, or is it just a more versatile tool?
just a more versitile tool, what you were predicting was slightly different and is ruled by another fcn that slips my mind at the moment

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
No idea why but from what I've seen/heard, male G. pulchra are relatively uncommon. Of your 5 slings I'd bet one or maybe none are male.

As far as investment goes, it will probably cost as much to feed them over a number of years as they'll be worth (assuming your buying petstore priced crickets).

Bill

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if youd want both and wouldnt want to be harassed by noobs do it haha and yes their is an attraction to t.s that get that large and if you want large also consider pokies and please dont flame me if im wrong but if i recall correctly dont redrumps get massive as well ?

Potemkin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
just a more versitile tool, what you were predicting was slightly different and is ruled by another fcn that slips my mind at the moment
Thanks for the help, I'm taking stats next semester which is kind of intimidating. :eek:

Shagrath666

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the help, I'm taking stats next semester which is kind of intimidating. :eek:
dont worry yourself just go to class and do your homework and you'll be fine. what i do is think of all my math in terms of tarantulas, like how to maximize the surface area I'm allowed to own Ts in, ideal number of crickets to buy, profit margins relative to cost of maintanace, all that fun stuff. everything is easier when tarantulas are the motivating force