29 gallon Heterometrus longimanus Vivarium

kingstubb

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey everyone, I have been throwing around the idea to create my 29g into a vivarium for my 2 Heterometrus longimanus. I will be using great stuff foam as the back ground. I will be using low light moss, ferns and plants. My friend is a bonist and will help me determine what is best for the environment. (low light, high humidity). My first concern is the well being of the scorpions. All plants will be in the plastic starter pots, I know about the burrowing nature of scorpions, plus it keeps the plant from rooting uncontrollably. I am doing the gravel false bottom vivarium. I just have a few questions Id like to ask the people reading this.

1. Has anyone done this?

2. Has anyone made a man made tunnel structure with great stuff? I would like to try to control the digging a much as possible. Should I carve it from the substrate level then glue it back on? (I know this might be hard to understand...picture would be worth 1001 words) try going like 5" deep, burrows and back entrances.

3. What is the best clean up crew for this set up? pill bug/ sow bug.

This will be a long process....many days of drying then after that I will let all my plants root in for a couple weeks. I will also be watching the scorpions interact..see the tendencies they have towards each other (aggression).

Thanks for your time

kingstubb

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ha I dont get the point of the the first two responses but ok atleast people are looking.

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think you meant 'botanist'.;):D

I do not see the point in making the cage that extravagant...is it just for fun?

kingstubb

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah...Isnt all of this? I started it a few days ago I'm hoping to put a big dent in it this weekend so ill post pics

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is all for fun, just a hobby. I just didn't want you to make the enclosure too extravagant and compromise the care of the scorpions...

kingstubb

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I still have a good amount of work to do...and the picture quality is terrible. But I thought Id let the moss take roots as I finish up.

2012-03-18 14.17.16.jpg first step

2012-03-18 14.34.41.jpg second step

Theres about 3'' of gravel then a mesh sheet. Then 2.5'' of eco earth, spagnum moss and organic potting soil packed down. then 4'' of loose substrate. You cant see well but I have 4 potted plant pots. One big one thats in the tree stump. One medium sized one in the middle, and two little ones to the right side. I will be putting some low light plants in there. As of now there is around 6 hides. I will bump that up to 10 as the final step. I plan to let everything root for 3 weeks. Befor adding anything besides springtails and pillbugs.

kingstubb

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Of course...I would never intentionally harm my pets for fun. I will be monitoring this project intensely. Should I give two water dishes?

PS thanks jade

Keister

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Of course...I would never intentionally harm my pets for fun. I will be monitoring this project intensely. Should I give two water dishes?

PS thanks jade
It never hurts to add water dishes.

kingstubb

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks...yeah you cant see but in the bottom right thier is a pretty big water dish. It has a moss bottom and rocks leading out.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
2. Has anyone made a man made tunnel structure with great stuff? I would like to try to control the digging a much as possible. Should I carve it from the substrate level then glue it back on? (I know this might be hard to understand...picture would be worth 1001 words) try going like 5" deep, burrows and back entrances.
I just used premade burrows. I took slabs of corkbark, stuck them into the substrate at an angle, then dug a tiny bit under the wood to get them started. From there, my emps have made some pretty awesome tunnels.

kingstubb

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Got some plants in letting them settle. but heres a pic of a 10 gallon I made basically yesterday. 2012-04-03 20.32.11.jpg

Captandan

Arachnopeon
Hey, I love the vivarium. I just got a pair of heterometrus spinifer and moved them into my 28 gallon flat back hex. I tried setting up a false bottom, but i started getting a bad smell. I was wondering if you could tell me, how is a false bottom supposed to work? WP_20160917_005.jpg

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
Hey, I love the vivarium. I just got a pair of heterometrus spinifer and moved them into my 28 gallon flat back hex. I tried setting up a false bottom, but i started getting a bad smell. I was wondering if you could tell me, how is a false bottom supposed to work? View attachment 221027
This thread is from four years ago, and is therefore considered dead.
Necromancy is heresy, and a great violation of the laws as set forth by her majesty, the goddess 0.1 P. muticus, PBUH.
You will face trial, and in all likelihood will be found guilty. You will be burnt at the stake, and your ashes scattered at the crossroads. You will never find rest, but shall wander as a spirit. In this way, you shall serve as a warning to all that come after you.
Prepare, for your end draws near!