29 gallon Heterometrus longimanus Vivarium

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
This is why you don't go on arachnoboards.com at 11:30 after watching and reading a huge number of si/fi and fantasy books and shows. This is my version of waking up after being drunk. (On good writing,)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey, I love the vivarium. I just got a pair of heterometrus spinifer and moved them into my 28 gallon flat back hex. I tried setting up a false bottom, but i started getting a bad smell. I was wondering if you could tell me, how is a false bottom supposed to work? View attachment 221027
Usually, bad smell= mold and rotting leftovers. A false bottom is a drainage level, where water can run down into there and eventully evaporate and realease water back into the sub. It's a double moistening of water essentially. That cage looks too humid, though I don't know about the sp. Also, lol. This age of the posts are crazy old XD. Not that it matters really, as long as it's a relevant question ;)

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
Hey, I love the vivarium. I just got a pair of heterometrus spinifer and moved them into my 28 gallon flat back hex. I tried setting up a false bottom, but i started getting a bad smell. I was wondering if you could tell me, how is a false bottom supposed to work? View attachment 221027
False bottoms usually have a screen between the substrate and the pebbles to keep the substrate from slipping into the cracks and defeating the whole purpose. Using larger stones and pebbles might help to create more room for water as well. Looks great otherwise.

Last edited:

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Heterometrus sometimes can be trapped under inches of water in their burrow, they can survive under water for quite a long time

Captandan

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the responses. I have changed the substrate, and started over. I am going to do a false bottom when I get my plants. The moss keeps it plenty humid, so the false bottom is unnecessary at this point.

Captandan

Arachnopeon
There was way too much water added. I misunderstood how it worked. It turns out the substrate I use is perfect already. Miracle grow makes a great product to use as substrate and it is super inexpensive. It's called hydrate, and consists of peat moss, coco fiber, and forest compost. I get it for $3.00 a bag at WalMart.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Looks good!

whats on the wall at the back of the tank? is it earth?

As true H.longimanus have been shown to be semi-arboreal, might be worth making sure that cant fall down!

Captandan

Arachnopeon
Looks good!

whats on the wall at the back of the tank? is it earth?

As true H.longimanus have been shown to be semi-arboreal, might be worth making sure that cant fall down!
I buried a ceramic log in the center of the tank against the back wall and threw some moss on it. I think that's what you're looking at. But, since you mentioned their semi arboreal nature, I was thinking of adding some things to climb on.