14 free tarantulas! M.balfouri, G. pulchra. I need help identifying some of them!

dustinv91

Arachnopeon
Ive been building my collection back for 2 months. So it was dead at work, and was facebook surfing looking around and low and behold a guy on the worldwide tarantula owners was giving away his tarantulas in houston (i live in nearby area)! The post was about an hour old and had a bunch of comments already so I didnt get to excited cause it was a first come first serve situation and didnt get off work for about two hours and it was an hour drive.
My wife decided to be amazing and got there first! We expected one or 2 but low and behold sitting out in front of this nice house were 12 kritter keepers of various sizes and 2 acrylic tanks all unlabeled! The only species that my wife was familiar enough with was M. balfouri and G. pulchra and pulchripes. Needless to say I am beyond excited, just off the species that i was familiar enough to identify on my own (my wife had a funny experience with her second OBT that was shocking). I am completely comfortable with my diagnoses of G. pulchra and pulchripes, the M. balfouri’s look like M. balfouri slings and are in beanie baby container communally, the obt is etched in my mind because of the shock of all these slow moving nw worlds and baam orange bitey thing in a cave... the GBB is beautifully colored. The other ones im not to sure on.

Attachments

Gina12

Arachnopeon
Wow you got a steal what page were you looking at? I live in Houston too my husband and I just got some ts and building up our collection too! We’re always looking for t friends...

Edit didn’t see the name on top

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
First one looks like a Lasiodora of some kind, probably L. parahybana. Second one I'm not sure on, the photo needs to be a bit better. The coloration reminds me of B. vagans, but the body proportions and setae don't seem right. Third one is a G. porteri. Fourth one looks like a juvie P. cancerides - what size is that one? The last one you'll be most excited about. If that coloration is accurate, that looks like an H. pulchripes sling to me. Heads up, that's a fast OW species.

Of course, these are all just educated guesses. Don't take anything as gospel :)

Keke713

Arachnoknight
Damn that’s so dope bro! Good steal! I live in Pasadena as well but I don’t do social media much! I think I might starts now haha

dustinv91

Arachnopeon
It was awesome i got a bunch of cool stuff. Only sad thing is i got to many p sazimai’s lol

cold blood

Staff member
First looks like an LP.

Second looks like G. inheringi...possibly a MM

Third is either G. porteri or sp. north...or just rose hair.

fourth needs a better pic.

Last does look like H. pulchriipes for the win.

Quite the score.

cold blood

Staff member
Third is either G. porteri or sp. north...or just rose hair.

"How would i go about finding out the differences?"

Better pics from different angles.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
From the OP:

1st is a Lasiodora sp.
2nd is G. iheringi
5th is H. pulchripes

The blue one (4th) that you reposted is possibly P. sazimai, not 100% though

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
2nd is G. iheringi
4th is 100% P. sazimai.

Amazing haul

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ive been building my collection back for 2 months. So it was dead at work, and was facebook surfing looking around and low and behold a guy on the worldwide tarantula owners was giving away his tarantulas in houston (i live in nearby area)! The post was about an hour old and had a bunch of comments already so I didnt get to excited cause it was a first come first serve situation and didnt get off work for about two hours and it was an hour drive.
My wife decided to be amazing and got there first! We expected one or 2 but low and behold sitting out in front of this nice house were 12 kritter keepers of various sizes and 2 acrylic tanks all unlabeled! The only species that my wife was familiar enough with was M. balfouri and G. pulchra and pulchripes. Needless to say I am beyond excited, just off the species that i was familiar enough to identify on my own (my wife had a funny experience with her second OBT that was shocking). I am completely comfortable with my diagnoses of G. pulchra and pulchripes, the M. balfouri’s look like M. balfouri slings and are in beanie baby container communally, the obt is etched in my mind because of the shock of all these slow moving nw worlds and baam orange bitey thing in a cave... the GBB is beautifully colored. The other ones im not to sure on.
The second is one is either a G. iheringi OR G. actaeon. I own the latter. They are both identical looking in terms of the cherry red, until about 4" DLS, once they molt, females lose the red completely and it turns a rusty red, not nearly as bright unfortunately.

You'll have to wait a bit. Here's my juvi female below at 4" DLS, she is NOT nearly as red now. The color change occurs in one molt.