Zoophobas morio (superworms) Question

krtrman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
does anyone have any idea where in the world these guys come from?
after 2 hours searching the net all i got was that they are tropical. i have a decent colony started thanks to Nixy ;) ! i just want some more background on these guys. like what type of plants and stuff they munch on in their native environment. any help will be appreciated

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've read Central and South America and that they are often found in caves ffeding on bat guano.

Wade

krtrman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
since i have a batbox outside actually it is.

thanks for the reply I had found that they are from south america just unsure about the exact country(ies). however i did find out that they have been established in south florida. and that the florida govt is looking into adding them on the no more import list. possibly adding it to the florida arthropod permit. (JUST WHAT WE NEED MORE LEGISLATION) anywho. thanks.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
On a side note, does anyone know what it is that suppresses their moulting when in the company of others? Tactile? Chemical?

Cheers,
Dave

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What do the adults look like? I've never seen anything other than the beetle-y grub-y things.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dessicata said:
So like ordinary mealworm beetles, should have guessed really :rolleyes:

Lee
Yep...just slightly larger. You can see pics of the whole process in the superworm Sticky in this forum.

Marc_C

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
skinheaddave said:
On a side note, does anyone know what it is that suppresses their moulting when in the company of others? Tactile? Chemical?

Cheers,
Dave
If you give them about 6 inches of substrate they will still molt/pupate when kept together. I think the problem has to do with others bumping them around while they are trying, then eventually they seem to get eaten...

krtrman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
dave: i learned that it is a chemical that they pick up from each other. the more they sense of the chemical the less they feel the need to pupate. this is why if one happens to wander away (in the wild) they will pupate quickly.

with starting the colony i learned that once one starts to pupate some of the others in the neighboring cells pick up the clue and pupate. it was really weird. i have also found that the size of the worm does not really matter. some will force molt and then pupate the same day after being placed in the cell. the more food in the cell speeds up the pupating process (IME).

Merumontanus

Arachnopeon
I do know that Bert Langerwerf of Agama International was the first person to breed these and was responsible for their introduction to the herp community.
You might want to contact him about any specific information you require concerning them. We have always found him to be very informative and quick to respond to questions via email.

Hope this helps.