Your Picky eaters?

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
I got plenty of picky eaters. My avic won't eat dubias, my chalcodes won't eat worms OR dubias. My best eaters are my OBT and my Pampho :rofl:

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
My female adult T. albo won't touch a mealworm, but will jump on a cricket in a heartbeat

SilentWidowMaker

KingWidow
My Avics also won't eat dubias once they grab it and realize it's not a cricket boom it's free again. Weird Also my Latrodectus hesperus most of them eat whatever prey but a few are also picky or have preferences.

Gevo

Arachnopeon
My G. pulchra is a perfect little angel and will eat anything, and my B. hamorii runs away from worms and will take crickets only under the cover of darkness and when given privacy.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
It’s setae is just dark for its size, here’s two more pictures. it looks one meal away from Pre molt. They Refuse roaches also.
View attachment 462499 View attachment 462500
Yeah they were raised on crickets, so maybe they just have trouble adjusting to new prey smell/taste. If they get hungry enough I don't think they'll care though. Your's looks pretty plump

Spinnenfritzi

Arachnopeon
non of my spiders are picky eaters.
maybee it has something to do with how often one feeds?

in austria we say:
"hunger ist der beste koch"

translates to "hunger is the best cook"

all my pets lived long lives and i always try not to overfeed them

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
maybee it has something to do with how often one feeds?

in austria we say:
"hunger ist der beste koch"

translates to "hunger is the best cook"

all my pets lived long lives and i always try not to overfeed them
I definitely agree with this on paper and in practice! I don’t have any “picky” eaters perse but I also follow on the huger ist der beste koch line of reasoning and feed much less frequently than I find most others do. As someone wose says “A plump T does not need to eat” or as I do “it will eat when it’s ready to, likely not before that. Until then, wait!”

@Ultum4Spiderz your sling is pretty plump it simply probably just does not need any more food! Of course sometimes we get little piggies who will gorge themselves like humans but others know limits 🤣

fcat

Arachnolord
Arachnosupporter
Wax worms seem to be unpopular amongst a few of mine. I suppose they hate the texture and are immediately put off.

I gave up using roaches a long time ago when I discovered 7 or 8 living in my first tarantula's enclosure (he was a gift), but not before my LPS sexed me out a perfect ratio starter colony for no extra dollars. They eat better than I do, organic and pesticide free, so I guess that makes them pets now, but they are my SHTF protein source so I try to keep them up to "tarantula grade" food standards 🤣

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
They eat better than I do, organic and pesticide free, so I guess that makes them pets now, but they are my SHTF protein source so I try to keep them up to "tarantula grade" food standards 🤣
Lol yeah... my cats, plants and insects eat better than I do. 😆

They get organic foods without preservatives that cost quite the $/lb, and I get cheap processed slop from McDonalds and Costco. 🤭

sparticus

Arachnoknight
I don't really have any picky ones. They all eat dubia as a staple and take them pretty reliably. The L. sazimai is probably the most picky, but she also seems to fill up super quick and then has long fasts.
The only foods that weren't well received were some butterworms someone gifted me that were almost universally rejected. Some grabbed them and started to eat then tossed them.
Also some species of mine really enjoy earthworms and some species don't seem to recognize them as food. My LP, phormictopus, M. robustum, and pamphobeteus seem especially enthusiastic about earthworm chunks. Arboreals don't seem to recognize them as food.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
I completely agree with @Spinnenfritzi and @Smotzer
Overfeeding leads to longer periods of fasting and hiding. If I think a particular one isn't going to eat this time, it will be fine waiting till next feeding day. The last thing I want to do is fish out uneaten anything.

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
I've always wondered how people get those super round abdomens on their Ts as none of mine will gorge themselves to that point. It's made me readjust my image of what a well fed T looks like.

Your sling is plenty fat and healthy. Don't fret.

fcat

Arachnolord
Arachnosupporter
I've always wondered how people get those super round abdomens on their Ts as none of mine will gorge themselves to that point. It's made me readjust my image of what a well fed T looks like.

Your sling is plenty fat and healthy. Don't fret.
I feel like a lot of it is a result of feeding larger meals (quantity) on a schedule. I might get shamed for this so hopefully no one sees this haha but it doesn't seem natural to me that a pack of crickets or roaches walk by the entrance to their burrow every few days or weeks, and I don't feed as such. The closest scenario I could drum up is a T waiting out weather conditions, surfacing, only to find a streetlight attracting bugs and waiting for them to fall.

And yet they are ambush predators.... And opportunistic eaters... Almost as if they've evolved to eat anything that comes their way...

The figures I "chase" are covered in setae 🤣 Maybe I am starving all my Ts but sometimes I only feed because I've been starving them so long that I'm worried about dehydration, otherwise my Ts do a real good job of telling me they are hungry... even if that means throwing an absolute temper tantrum and tearing up their entire enclosure.

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
I know this is about spiders, but my pickiest eater -BY FAR- is my "wife" (we're not married). The things she won't eat...just boggle my mind.
I had a ball python that'd go on hunger strike, but I could always bring him around with a gerbil, or a chick from a farm down the road.