your first memory of a scorpion...

woijchik89

Arachnolord
Old Timer
When me and my family first moved to Florida I fell off a tree do to the branch snapping, and as I was lying down thinking "Woah, that was unexpected." I noticed around 5 C. vittatus crawling on my shirt. I quickly brushed them off (got stung by a few in the process) and then proceeded to my home to tend to my wounds.

-Ben

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I probably encounterd a scorpion while living in Saudi Arabia, but I'm not sure. But I am glad I didn't touch one, with all those buthids down there :eek: .
Whats you're first encounter?

I'm not
Peter

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When I was 5 or 6 years old I used to catch all kinds of insects and spiders and put them in my Grandma's mason jars. One day I found a scorpion on their porch and I naturally caught it and brought it in the house. My Grandma, Mom, Dad etc etc was real pissed off at me for catching it. My parents always called them "stinging lizards" and hate them with a passion even to this day.

Keith

Arachnopeon
When I was younger, I lived in east Texas where I would always see C. Vittatus' crawling around. I would catch them, put them in buckets with centipedes and watch them fight.

R.F

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Keith said:
When I was younger, I lived in east Texas where I would always see C. Vittatus' crawling around. I would catch them, put them in buckets with centipedes and watch them fight.
you`r so lucky..with those animals to just rip out your backyard...in the nederlands you pay alot for C.vitattus..

Edit: And centipendes

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When I was 10 we were riding dirtbikes and camping in the Arizona desert. After four days when the bases of the tents were taken off the ground, there were many tiny orangish-yellow scorpions underneath. I know now that they were C. exilicauda.

Hoosier

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The first scorpion I have ever seen in person was probably a dead one in a paper-weight from Arizona {D Then when I worked at PETCO at age 18, I had the 1st experiences with live scorps.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When I was in about third grade my grandma found one under a rock and showed it to me. I tapped the back of it gently with a blade of grass a few times to make it turn around and watch it's reaction. I wanted to keep it really bad but my grandma said it would be better to let it stay where we found it. :)

Tim R.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I remember when I was young seeing them at my grandmas house in St. Pete Florida.

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
heh

I was very young and my brother was even younger when we lived in Peru. I was playing with this friend and she told me my brother had something to show me. My brother said he found a crab, and when i saw it It was a scorpion. It was about 1.5" and was a light cream color with pinkish legs. I am not sure what kind of species it was. This was in Lima, Peru's capital so it was probably some sort of scrubland scorpion. I came across many more throughout my house for some time.

Stormcrow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
First encounter with scorpions was at five or six years old watching nature programs and flipping thru nature encyclopedias at my Aunt's house in Norco. I was completely awestruck, nearly hyperventilated over the full color pics of scorpions, tarantulas, and solifugids. Then came my first genuine encounter with the scorpion at the age of eight or nine, when I visited my father's in-laws living in Yuma Arizona and Bard California.

Bard California actually, I used to turn over stones in front of their lawn and found an odd fairly large species of scorpion, gold-colored that scuttled backwards like lobsters or crawfish. Also, discovered massive solifugids measuring at least 2" and were --- PINK! Kept both species in buckets and glass jars until my mom discovered them and became rather upset. I haven't back out that way since I was ten.

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I was about 12 years old when i saw my first emporor scorpion in a shop.
But i was about 4 when i first heard about them and saw pictures of them. Since then i was interested in them. I don't know exactly why. the fact that they are venemous are 1 reason why i find them so fascinating. But there is also more to it than just that. Because if that would be the only reason then i would also love spiders (and i don't). It is also their appearence body structure and the colouring.

Stormcrow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree errit and alot of us IMO love invertebrates because they are quite alien in appearance, venomous, and predators to boot. And often come in dazzling array of colors too. Honestly, scorpions captured my imagination since I was a young kid and had such a deep fascination in them that they were actually thee rock stars of the animal kingdom to my little mind. And I still haven't outgrown much of those feelings today.

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yeah it is strange, I never really had much interest in pets. i like other animals and find them intersting but scorpions do top them all in my opinion without knowing why.

Stormcrow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
To be honest, who isn't fascinated or doesn't admire nature's killers. I just love the physiology of the scorpion. It is brilliantly designed for what it evolved to be. I would also extend that to other arachnid groups. But scorpions and true spiders have always been numero uno, yet I went through phases of tarantula and centipede collecting but my pursuit of those arthropods has diminished greatly though not my love of them.

alex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The first time I saw a scorpion was about a year ago. Then I bought it the other week.