YeAh BaBy!

woijchik89

Arachnolord
Old Timer
HaHa! I just got a C. Gracilius, C. gracillis? ummm(cant spell worth chicken poo right now) That would be 2 diffrent species of scorpions so far living near me!

It's HUGE I though it'd be like 1 1/2 inch like that last scorp but it's HUGE like 4 1/2 inches!!!!!

It's aggresive too! My bro found it when he was working on a car it like lunged at him. I can't wait to hold it!!!!!!!!! It's so cool!

Any info about taking care of this species will be well appreciated!

I can't wait to go hunting this friday!

~LaTeR~

-Ben

protheus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
"It's agressive ... lunged at him ... can't wait to hold it." Right. ;)

Good luck. :)

Chris

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Carpe Scorpio can probably give you the info you want on this species. I think that is what he keeps.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
First off, congrats on the find, I kinda thought it would only be a matter of time before you found one, or one found you. Second, I would NOT attempt to hold a full-grown agressive C. gracilis, they are very fast and unpredictably high-strung. The conditions for keeping are fairly simple, just about the same temp/humidity that it was enjoying outdoors. PICS!, we want PICS!!!.

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i wouldnt wanna hold it, even though its fairly less toxic than the south amerian kin i own, if it has a temper anywhere near as them, you would get stung about 3 times before you know what was happening haha

congrats though, ive been bugging my aunt in florida to send me some, but shes too scared, even though she says they are everywhere and she has to combat them like rambo would... i think she just runs away screaming, personally

protheus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wolvie56X said:
shes too scared, even though she says they are everywhere and she has to combat them like rambo would... i think she just runs away screaming, personally
For most people, even being within a few feet of a bug is somehow an act of courage and valor ;) You should take matters into your own hands, and pay her a visit.

Chris

Eurypterid

Arachnerd
Old Timer
I keep a *ton* of this species, and yes, they can be quite high-strung, but the funny thing is that they aren't that likely to sting. In fact, I've tried numerous times, with many different individuals, to milk them, and I have yet to be successful, because it is very difficult to get them to sting. Even when the have stung my collector, they have never injected venom. They often will tail-lash, but their main defense, both when collecting and when handling them in the lab, is to run. I still wouldn't recommend holding one, but they don't seem anywhere near as prone to sting as Hadrurus or some of the African buthids.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, there is a much greater chance that it would shoot up your arm and hide in your armpit(fun). They much prefer to run than to sting. Why on earth would you want to hold this species?. Emps don't seem to mind being held.

Constant Alarm

Arachnopeon
yeah my emp's pretty cool about holding it sometimes but she does tend to have her very aggresive moments i dunno mabey i got one of them odd emps lol usally it just squats right down in my hand but it has stood there one time with its claws open moving foward at me like it was going to claw me to death lol .. on the other note i should post a note on her cage " does not play well with others "

woijchik89

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Eurypterid said:
I keep a *ton* of this species, and yes, they can be quite high-strung, but the funny thing is that they aren't that likely to sting. In fact, I've tried numerous times, with many different individuals, to milk them, and I have yet to be successful, because it is very difficult to get them to sting. Even when the have stung my collector, they have never injected venom. They often will tail-lash, but their main defense, both when collecting and when handling them in the lab, is to run. I still wouldn't recommend holding one, but they don't seem anywhere near as prone to sting as Hadrurus or some of the African buthids.
I know what you mean about not stinging, funny little creature that is. It chased you, but the secnd he has a chance to sting you he just starts to roll/wag tail lash thingy O_O At first he was VERY aggresive, but now he's a bit stressed after I fed him he calmed down a bit.

carpe scorpio said:
Yes, there is a much greater chance that it would shoot up your arm and hide in your armpit(fun). They much prefer to run than to sting. Why on earth would you want to hold this species?. Emps don't seem to mind being held.
Cause I mean, they're cool, who wouldn't want to hold one? I don't plan to just pick him up today, I'll keep him a while till he's a bit more "Tame" Then I will hold him. He's a cute little guy. I measured him he's only an itsy witsy tiny tad over 4 inches. Then who knows, maybe I'll get another *boy* cause I'm pretty sure the one I got now is a girl. and maybe I could breed this species.

They are quite beautiful.

I just wish the legs were more brite red instead of dark/pale red.

~TtYl~

-Ben

Eurypterid

Arachnerd
Old Timer
woijchik89 said:
Then who knows, maybe I'll get another *boy* cause I'm pretty sure the one I got now is a girl. and maybe I could breed this species.

~TtYl~

-Ben
Breeding won't be a problem. They breed very readily in captivity, and most adult females caught in the wild are going to be gravid already. Every single one of my adult females has given birth at least once since spring, and most of them have had 2 litters already. Be careful what you wish for - at last count I have over 500.

As far as leg color, they do sometimes have lighter legs, though they tend toward yellow insted of red.

woijchik89

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Eurypterid said:
Breeding won't be a problem. They breed very readily in captivity, and most adult females caught in the wild are going to be gravid already. Every single one of my adult females has given birth at least once since spring, and most of them have had 2 litters already. Be careful what you wish for - at last count I have over 500.

As far as leg color, they do sometimes have lighter legs, though they tend toward yellow insted of red.
I heard of people breeding animals to get brighter colors, how do they do it? Like corn snakes with bright color morphs. Is it possible to do this with scorpions?

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
woijchik89 said:

~TtYl~

-Ben
When are we going to get to see a photo?. You most likely WILL have babies if it's a female.

woijchik89

Arachnolord
Old Timer
carpe scorpio said:
When are we going to get to see a photo?. You most likely WILL have babies if it's a female.
I haven't forgotten your request for a photo.

It doesn't look gravid.

I'll get photos the seonnd I get money for a cheap camra, I'm still abit broke after buying the UV light and extra terrium.

I'll show you a pic ASAP.

But for now sorry, lost my old camra

~ByE_FoR_NoW~

-Ben

Eurypterid

Arachnerd
Old Timer
C. gracilis females don't usually look hugely bloated when they're gravid like females of many other species, so that isn't necessarily a good indication.

As far as selective breeding goes, it would depend on whether the trait you're tryng to achieve is due to genetics or not. If the variation in leg color is not genetic, then you can't possibly breed for it. Even if it is genetic, it might be due to a complex genetic interaction rather than a simple single gene. In that case, it would be difficult and require many generations to get a purebred line. As long as the trait you want is genetic though, it is at least possible to breed for it, if you have enough individuals and enough time.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
The other part of this is inbreeding to discover "hidden" recessive traits. I know of several people who have had colonies thrive and then die -- starting from very few founders. None of them has mentioned any bizarre morphs. Then again, I imagine the number of people breeding C.gracilis is an order of magnitude or two lower than those breeding leopard geckos and corn snakes.

Cheers,
Dave

Eurypterid

Arachnerd
Old Timer
Even this (inbreeding) will only work if the genetics are fairly simple. An unusual state of a quantitative character might still go undetected with this method.

Hopefully I'll be able to give at least a preliminary answer to this by next year though. I have a Florida C. gracilis male with bright yellow legs. I'm mating him to all my females this year to see what results I get. Assuming his trait is genetic, not completely recessive, and that at least some of the females carry at least one of the same allele, I should get some kind of result that will serve as a starting point to figuring out how leg color is determined.

woijchik89

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I assumed it was the same deal as corn snakes. Alot of times the same species of scorps in the petshops look brighter and cooler than wild caught. Oh well, hopefully someone will come up with one with bright red legs and shiny black everywhere else and I'll just buy it from them. LoL

Stormcrow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would not recommend holding C.gracilis, bear in mind I have been tagged by specimens from Florida, it was relatively mild with a washing effect localized near the point of the sting. A flash of burning pain that quickly receded, but Centruriodes have nasty stings almost always causing localized swelling and irritation as if infected. However, this species has varying toxicity depending on locale of origin, such as Central America particularly Honduras is said to be considerably more toxic??? than North American natives. Centruroides always = nasty stings and can discomforting local swelling and irritation.