WTH P. Cavi eating exo terra background?!

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I noticed my red claw has been out and about more in the last few days, today I noticed there was a bunch of white/gray crap all over the substrate at first I thought mold, then I saw my cavi come out with some pieces of the fake rock background in his mouth chewing it up..

Uhh is he gonna die? lol I just fed him the other day dono why he would resort to eating the background....

EDIt
Yes I did remove the background and yes he has been eating it pieces are missing near the bottom, looks like he tunneled under the entire enclosure.

Last edited by a moderator:

yannigarrido2

Arachnosquire
Hmmm...... I want a 3D background eating cavimanus!! That would be so cool , i could feed it anything, I wont have to buy roaches again!! LOL {D{D{D

yannigarrido2

Arachnosquire
i don't know but it could be.. what type of material is the background made of?
its best if you get rid of the background. just to be safe.

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have already removed it, I think it looks better without the background jsut cause I can see through the back now lol, and I dont have to worry about him climbing up it.

Not sure if he even ate it, it was in his mouth he might have been chewing and spitting it out.

Hes trying to climb the glass right now as I did ruin his tunnel and had to rerrange a little bit to get it out, had to repack down the substrate and remove him.

EDIT
looks like its made of black polystrene?

I think if it was bad for him, it would start to show by the morning? guess I should expect the worse when I wake :/

Last edited:

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think he was eating it. They do use their chelicerae to dig and remove substrate/barriers, so it's probably just be the mess from its digging.

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yeah thats my guess too, I am sure he would know not to consume something like that yea? even for a primitive mind and all?

Ive seen my other scorpions dig with their teeth too

hes still exploring his 'new' home right now i feel bad i ruined his vase tunnel that even went under the enclosure when I took everything out.

thanks that shuold put my mind at ease, i was freaking :/

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
woke up today to that noisy cricket I put in there before I went to bed, I looked in and hes just hanging out by the door of the cave tail up/sidewaysish

hopefully he eats that cricket thing is LOUD in that exo terra, never noticed it before int he past because they normmally run into his cave, this ones smart lol