Would these tongs work?

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I went to the dollarstore and found a pair of tongs. Not sure if these would work though.

I plan to use these tongs for lifting the emp scorp by it's tail, and as well as using it to hold the crickets for feeding. Do you think they are suitable enough if I use them gently?

Also, here's a little update on my setup.

Here's what it looks like.

I did manage to find the Eco Earth Expandable Substrate. Got the 3-brick pack from a small exotic reptile shop for $11.99.

As you can see it's most definitely not completed yet, but I will be getting some more supplies tomorrow. A few days ago I made a thread saying I would be getting a 10 gallon tank...well, they were all out of stock when I got there.

By the way, the cardboard you see on the floor and everything is to protect the carpet so that no dirt or anything gets on it.

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I personally cant see myself justifing use of tongs like that to pick up an imp... I just lay my hand flat in the enclosure and kinda nudge her onto my hand, works fine everytime. Besides, I think tongs like that may harm the metasoma or telson, even if you are careful.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think they would.

But try adding cotton or something to make em' softer?

I just think you might suddenly squeeze a little too hard if it moves quickly and you get scared.

magikscorps

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree with chao No need for tongs , or just gently nudge with a probe into a cup then on to hand, just dont drop ................

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
You may have some problems with those tongs. There is a fair bit of flex in the shaft, so you will find that it has some give. This can be good, as it reduces the chances of you putting too much force onto the scorpion, but you may also find you get some twisting and this can lead to various problems. I have used something like this before, but much prefer something like this: https://jawproducts.authsecure.com/images/tweezers12inch.jpg which you can often get relatively inexpensively off ebay or at a salvage shop.

Cheers,
Dave

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have to agree with the others on this -- tongs like that aren't necessary in scorpion-keeping. You're more likely to injure the scorp or accidentally drop him -- and when feeding crix, they'll eventually find their way to the scorp anyway.

If you need to relocate a scorpion, and cannot bring yourself to scootch it onto your hand, then put a cup in the tank and use the lid to herd the scorpion into it.

I have something similar to what SHD linked to, but mine has the tips covered in vinyl, so it has a better grip with less pressure.

Newports

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you do happen to use those tongs, atleast wrap the tip with electrical tape, somthing with a softer surface.