Wolfspider not eating

Hairyette Howl

Arachnopeon
Hello, I am not sure if this is where I should post this but... I am new to having a pet spider. I am a 5th grade science teacher and I have identified my spider as a wolfspider. Two weeks ago she laid an egg sac that she has attached it to her abdomen. My question is: Is it normal for her not to eat since laying her egg sac two weeks ago? There are currently 4 crickets in her habitat and she doesn’t seem interested. She will hang outside of her burrow but doesn’t show interest in feeding. I am afraid she will die and my students will be sad. 3E742041-F09D-4AA6-8130-D2E253BD18D3.jpeg B7B4A73A-C6D1-47CB-9025-1DE3C0640202.jpeg 5A965732-0BC4-4944-8630-C67688A489C6.jpeg

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My question is: Is it normal for her not to eat since laying her egg sac two weeks ago? There are currently 4 crickets in her habitat and she doesn't seem interested. She will hang outside of her burrow but doesn't show interest in feeding. I am afraid she will die and my students will be sad.
When I had a wolf spider with an egg sac, she was not interested in food while she had the sac. Once the spiderlings hatch and disperse, she should resume feeding. (When the spiderlings emerge, they will ride on their mother's back for a few days until they molt, and then they will disperse to fend for themselves.)

I would remove any feeder insects within a day of being offered, as they may stress her out, and if they get desperate for food, they may attack the spider.

I am afraid she will die and my students will be sad.
Spiders have slow metabolisms, so they can go longer than most mammals without food. Just make sure she always has access to water.

Of course, she won't live forever -- wolf spiders typically live for 1-3 years -- but she won't starve to death while she is guarding her sac.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Hello, I am not sure if this is where I should post this but... I am new to having a pet spider. I am a 5th grade science teacher and I have identified my spider as a wolfspider. Two weeks ago she laid an egg sac that she has attached it to her abdomen. My question is: Is it normal for her not to eat since laying her egg sac two weeks ago? There are currently 4 crickets in her habitat and she doesn’t seem interested. She will hang outside of her burrow but doesn’t show interest in feeding. I am afraid she will die and my students will be sad. View attachment 267895 View attachment 267893 View attachment 267896
ahh i remember when i was your age... my first spider was the same type and i had it when i was your age... yes this is completely normal but remember not to over feed your spider 4 crickets seems like a little bit too much for a spider of that size. also on behalf of everyone here on the boards welcome to the hobby get ready cuz its one *heck* (you cant swear here) of a wild ride. remember if you have any question wether it be a "dumb" question or not were always here to help especially me when it comes to wolf spiders

The wolf

Arachnolord
ahh i remember when i was your age... my first spider was the same type and i had it when i was your age... yes this is completely normal but remember not to over feed your spider 4 crickets seems like a little bit too much for a spider of that size. also on behalf of everyone here on the boards welcome to the hobby get ready cuz its one *heck* (you cant swear here) of a wild ride. remember if you have any question wether it be a "dumb" question or not were always here to help especially me when it comes to wolf spiders
I'm fairly sure my first thread was the exact same question I soon realised how alien they are it's fascinating how different their metabolisms,and as you say buckle up and get ready

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
I'm fairly sure my first thread was the exact same question I soon realised how alien they are it's fascinating how different their metabolisms,and as you say buckle up and get ready
my first one was what kind of wolf spider is this with the pic in my profile pic attached. her name was wolfer and she lasted a week in my care. DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!

The wolf

Arachnolord
my first one was what kind of wolf spider is this with the pic in my profile pic attached. her name was wolfer and she lasted a week in my care. DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!
Yup I ended up stressing my first girl out to the point she ate her eggsac so I released her

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Yup I ended up stressing my first girl out to the point she ate her eggsac so I released her
i litteraly thought that until today that my second wolfer (the one that lost 2 legs) had a parasite but i literally just realized thinking it over it was not eating and drinking a bunch of water because it was about to lay a sac. i think that the mites in its enclosure i thought nothing of (it was my second spider ever i didnt even know mites were a thing that bothered your spider) probably stressed it out while it was laying eggs and that somehow resulted in two missing legs. i thought this just ment the spider was going to die so i squished it (second spider ever diddnt know about the fridge method)

The wolf

Arachnolord
i litteraly thought that until today that my second wolfer (the one that lost 2 legs) had a parasite but i literally just realized thinking it over it was not eating and drinking a bunch of water because it was about to lay a sac. i think that the mites in its enclosure i thought nothing of (it was my second spider ever i didnt even know mites were a thing that bothered your spider) probably stressed it out while it was laying eggs and that somehow resulted in two missing legs. i thought this just ment the spider was going to die so i squished it (second spider ever diddnt know about the fridge method)
Ignorance is most certainly not bliss :(

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
also the fact that i regularly handled her (second spider) probably didnt help (dont handle your spiders they dont like it also if they git mites post a thread here asking for help dont just ignore it like i did) RIP crimson the reddish brown wolf spider

The wolf

Arachnolord
also the fact that i regularly handled her (second spider) probably didnt help (dont handle your spiders they dont like it also if they git mites post a thread here asking for help dont just ignore it like i did) RIP crimson the reddish brown wolf spider
I never handled mine because I have mild arachnophobia and a habit of dropping and/or losing things I have killed quite a few little spiders from lack of hydration though we all make mistakes

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
ooooooo also remember this jumping spiders require a tall enclosure with dirt and a stick in it and mist the wall of its enclosure drying up all the big droplets of water DONT SPRAY WATER DIRECTLY ON IT

and feed it small flies or nats you find around the house if you caught the jumper instead of buying one online if you remember these steps you wont kill 5 jumpers trying to figure out how to keep them like i did. also, orb weavers are intermediate spiders at least post a thread asking how to care for them when you decide you want one eventually. also everyone here uses scientific names instead of common names so get ready to google alot of names and learn the scientifi names of the spiders you post about alot like i learned hogna carolinensis and brachypelma abopilosum by heart. heres some of the lingo you need to know:

T- Tarantula

jumper- jumping spider

wolfer- wolf spider (i might be the only one that uses this one but i think ive seen this used on the boards before)

OBT- means 4 different things that all mean the same thing: Pterinochilus murinus, orange baboon tarantula, orange bitey thing, pterror, and my own personal nick name the T you dont *hecc* with

a genus followed by a singular letter- genus with the species abriviated for evample brachypelma A. means brachypelma abopilosum

ungolburg- everytime @Ungoliant proves me wrong i reply with "curse you ungolburg" which is a reference to fairly odd parents. i tell every new member i meet this and shes probably getting tired of getting tagged in a post just to see me telling a new member this but she will become one of the most helpful people you will ever know in the hobby. shes the reason i didnt just give up on the hobby because i was so impatient when it came to getting answers. seriously she dealed with me being an impatient little *hecc lord* on my first few threads (dont do that she more than likely didnt enjoy that). shes so helpful that shes even teaching veteran T keepers new things. and shes pretty much every where like you cant go more than two threads without seeing a post from her.

also last thing when you start running not seeing as many new spiders in the wild localy (this happens to pretty much all of us it took about a year for this to happen to me) the two best places online to buy from in the US are ken the bug guy and bugs in cyber space (i cant link the sites or else they get deleted from my post but you can find them buy googleing them)

The wolf

Arachnolord
ooooooo also remember this jumping spiders require a tall enclosure with dirt and a stick in it and mist the wall of its enclosure drying up all the big droplets of water DONT SPRAY WATER DIRECTLY ON IT

and feed it small flies or nats you find around the house if you caught the jumper instead of buying one online if you remember these steps you wont kill 5 jumpers trying to figure out how to keep them like i did. also, orb weavers are intermediate spiders at least post a thread asking how to care for them when you decide you want one eventually. also everyone here uses scientific names instead of common names so get ready to google alot of names and learn the scientifi names of the spiders you post about alot like i learned hogna carolinensis and brachypelma abopilosum by heart. heres some of the lingo you need to know:

T- Tarantula

jumper- jumping spider

wolfer- wolf spider (i might be the only one that uses this one but i think ive seen this used on the boards before)

OBT- means 4 different things that all mean the same thing: Pterinochilus murinus, orange baboon tarantula, orange bitey thing, pterror, and my own personal nick name the T you dont *hecc* with

a genus followed by a singular letter- genus with the species abriviated for evample brachypelma A. means brachypelma abopilosum

ungolburg- everytime @Ungoliant proves me wrong i reply with "curse you ungolburg" which is a reference to fairly odd parents. i tell every new member i meet this and shes probably getting tired of getting tagged in a post just to see me telling a new member this but she will become one of the most helpful people you will ever know in the hobby. shes the reason i didnt just give up on the hobby because i was so impatient when it came to getting answers. seriously she dealed with me being an impatient little *hecc lord* on my first few threads (dont do that she more than likely didnt enjoy that). shes so helpful that shes even teaching veteran T keepers new things. and shes pretty much every where like you cant go more than two threads without seeing a post from her.

also last thing when you start running not seeing as many new spiders in the wild localy (this happens to pretty much all of us it took about a year for this to happen to me) the two best places online to buy from in the US are ken the bug guy and bugs in cyber space (i cant link the sites or else they get deleted from my post but you can find them buy googleing them)
What a lovely informative guide to the boards
Good job

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
also man if you have any questions about true spiders (especialy wolf spiders) feel free to pm me (its like DMs but there called pms for some reason) anytime im pretty much always on here when i get bored in class and nothing important is happening (which is alot of the time) like im more active here than i am on any main stream social media. and again welcome to the boards and the hobby