Wolfie woes: what to do?

T 'n T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I’m bringing my brother over to the dark side. It’s true, instead of squishing house spiders he catches them in a glass for me. His latest captive, a local black striped wolfie the size of a quarter (legspan included), has found a home in my collection. :)

Big Bad Wolfie is living in a gravy separator with holes in the lid, the spout blocked off with a wad of tissue. A couple of weeks ago I showed my brother how it had webbed up the enclosure. He gleefully stuck in a finger and tweaked the critter, saying how spiders used to creep him out but now they’re kind of interesting. Cute, huh? Ah, but there’s more…

Last week I was admiring the webbing. Lots of it, the wolfie’s been very busy. In fact, there was a bunch of webbing off to the side… a big bunch, very white, almost like a cocoon… and later I noticed the wolfie on top of it… :eek:

So, if this is a wolfie eggsac, will it survive if I put it outside? This is Minnesota, it could start snowing anytime. And if so, when do I take it away from the mom? Or will it be okay in the fridge until spring? I surely do not want dozens of microscopic slings running around the house.

Anybody want a bunch of wolfies? :D

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi, I´d like to get them :D But I don´t think that shipping to Germany is possible?!? Why don´t u just wait and raise them?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Typically, wolf spiders carry the eggsac from their spinerettes. There may be exceptions, but if it's sitting on top, it might be something else. Perhaps a fishing spider which are often mistaken for wolfs.

Wade

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I had a wolf eggsac to hatch once, and depsite the cloth that I put under the lid of the critter keeper the slings managed to get out. I bet the apartment is infested with them now! {D Everywhere I looked it seemed like I saw teensy tiny wolfies. I don't think I'll attempt to hatch another, the slings are just too small.

stevenhman

Arachnopeon
If you can wrangle any little lings into vials you could probably cover the tops with cheesecloth and just rubber band it shut.

In my old house we had "freerange" jumping spiders. She had the coolest greenish blue chelicerae. She eventually poped and a couple months later I saw teeny little jumpers everywhere. I let most outside. We used to have one at my house now, but I think the cats ate it :(