Why Praying Mantis sway - not so obvious oddities

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
(Just about every mantid I've seen in the wild in SE Asia does this.)

1. Camouflage. Seems antithetical but it works. Most of the predatory birds have compromised stereoscopic vision. Sort of the opposite from predators like geckos and lizards in that the telencephalon, bundles of photo-receptors in the eyes enable birds to pinpoint locate objects very precisely - as in landing on a twig unerringly. The downside is this ability is compromised if the object is moving! We've all seen it. A bird pinpoints a place to land but klutzes out sometimes with a failed landing resulting in, as the aviation business calls it, a go around. Thus a mantid swaying. Makes it a perfect target for a wall gecko but geckos don't fly and have this so called blind spot in their brain functions that birds have.
2. Mantid eyesight is very poor. Short sighted. Go stare at a chain link fence. How far away is it? It's much easier to tell if you move your head around helping your brain calculate spatial coordinates. When a mantid sways it is able to see greater distances and get oriented with it's surroundings more accurately.
3. Better footing. Mantids have very poor sensory nerves - or none, in their extremities. Watching mantids land from a leap or flight they take a moment to get their footing back. Imagine trying to walk if your feet are numb or manipulate something with numb hands. Swaying aids in them gripping surfaces.
4. Both sexes of mantids sway to attract romantic partners.

Last edited:

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Mantid eyesight is very poor. Short sighted. Go stare at a chain link fence. How far away is it? It's much easier to tell if you move your head around helping your brain calculate spatial coordinates. When a mantid sways it is able to see greater distances and get oriented with it's surroundings more accurately.
Wah, this, this!

The Snark

Old Timer
For the hypercritical nerf herder(s). I'm a researcher and as such I have a mental library where I can cross disciplines. In this case, simplicity, Animal biology, plus a sprinkling of motion science and photometrics. No brainer. Duhhh.
I knew zilch about why mantids sway and wobble an hour ago.

Last edited:

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
As cool as this behavior is with mantids, I have to say that Phasmids take it to a whole other level. In their case, it is almost 100% a camouflage behavior, but that makes it no less incredible. I have handled Heteropteryx dilata and Phyllium phillippinicum and seen them sway at the same speed and exact direction of a tiny air draft in the room. They are even able to accomplish this while moving long distances-- I had a Heteropteryx female continue the behavior extremely convincingly as she moved up the entire length of my arm and own to my shoulder. I observe it over and over again but it never ceases to amaze.

And in the case of Malayan Jungle Nymphs, it is certainly a nicer defense than some of their others:rofl:. A coworker of mine lost profuse amounts of blood when first introduced to them and despite a hefty amount of time working with the species, I still wince in pain every now and then... Really need to learn Navajo or some other language sufficiently unknown in Philly to allow me to swear profusely without being understood (sadly one area where spanish proficiency does little for me).

The Snark

Old Timer
@goliathusdavid When the hill tribe and jungle kids warn you off, Pay. Attention. As in what the hey? Weird looking katydid without wings? Oh how nice, it's armed with a chain saw. Nymphs, giant cicadas and and caterpillars oh my!

Really need to learn Navajo or some other language sufficiently unknown in Philly to allow me to swear profusely without being understood (sadly one area where spanish proficiency does little for me).
When dealing with a turkeybutt just smile and casually comment, "Khun nah meaung gon kwai." Caution. Saying this to someone who speaks Thai is a no no. If they don't instantly take a swing at you be amazed.

Thai's are fastidiously clean people. The foulest cuss words involved dirt. The foulest dirtiest thing in the average Thai persons life is a water buffalo. (They make their own mud wallows without water then lounge in them.)
Khun nah meaung gon kwai -> your face looks like a water buffalo's ass.

Last edited:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
And in the case of Malayan Jungle Nymphs, it is certainly a nicer defense than some of their others:rofl:. A coworker of mine lost profuse amounts of blood when first introduced to them and despite a hefty amount of time working with the species, I still wince in pain every now and then... Really need to learn Navajo or some other language sufficiently unknown in Philly to allow me to swear profusely without being understood (sadly one area where spanish proficiency does little for me).
I was about to say, Phyllium O.K, Heteropteryx...tell me you had gloves please!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
I was about to say, Phyllium O.K, Heteropteryx...tell me you had gloves please!

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Well... recently:lol:. There has been a long debate among coworkers as to whether gloves are truly necessary or whether they are a useless cop out. For a long time I was in the latter camp since our gloves for birds of prey kept getting punctured by Jungle nymphs, but the recent purchase of what have become known affectionately as the "red dead redemption gloves" has I think made me permanently change camp. Though believe it or not, they have never actually drawn blood from me-- many others have not been so lucky.