Why is my T chewing the corner of his enclousure?

AnniSinikka

Arachnopeon
Hi, I have a male Tarantula, Brachypelma Hamorii who has started to be quite restless. He climbs the walls of his enclousure quite often and usually I can find him in this one corner of his enclousure where he tries to open the door or chew (it looks like he is charpening his fangs at the corner of the enclousure) and I am quite worried because he has never done this before and I am afraid that he will hurt himself.

Here is some photos of his enclousure, is it good for him, he has moved the dirt from one side to the other. Is this enclousure too huge for him and is there enough substrate?

And I think he is in pre-molt, he has not been eating and has a bald spot in his abdomen but he is rather active.

Will he be fine or should I be worried?

Attachments

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
you have reason to worry you dont have .enough dirt in that cage to prevent injury from it falling. its trying to escape thats why its chewing in that spot

fcat

Arachnolord
Arachnosupporter
Yeah you need a better terrestrial setup, with more floor space than overhead space. I would remove that skull decoration and replace with a piece of cork bark so he has something to hide under.

When they start destroying their enclosure there is usually a reason for it, but not always. Good to rule out all the possibilities. Too small an enclosure is near the top of the list, as well as substrate too soft, having no shelter are a few others.

Also hunger. My brachypelmas especially turn into little heathens when they are hungry

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Are you sure your T is a he? Do you have a closer pic of his pedipalps and first legs? Suddenly more active and not eating sounds like a mature male.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Hi, I have a male Tarantula, Brachypelma Hamorii who has started to be quite restless. He climbs the walls of his enclousure quite often and usually I can find him in this one corner of his enclousure where he tries to open the door or chew (it looks like he is charpening his fangs at the corner of the enclousure) and I am quite worried because he has never done this before and I am afraid that he will hurt himself.

Here is some photos of his enclousure, is it good for him, he has moved the dirt from one side to the other. Is this enclousure too huge for him and is there enough substrate?

And I think he is in pre-molt, he has not been eating and has a bald spot in his abdomen but he is rather active.

Get pictures of the pedipalps, and this cage looks like its for tree spiders. Too much fall space .

Glorfindel

Arachnosquire
Any number of reasons Why?
It wants to Get Out of There.

HMWard

Arachnopeon
Most people forget one of the main reasons that a male tarantula gets restless and wants to move constantly. When they have done the final molt that determines that it is male it’s biological clock it ticking down. It’s one purpose is to breed so now it is trying to find a female. They have very short lives compared to the females. Every male tarantula I have ever owned has done that.

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Has MM been established ?

Last edited:

HMWard

Arachnopeon
Yes once it basically hits puberty it’s game on for them just like any male of any species. Male tarantulas in the wild do not stay in one place like the females. Males move around to find the females. Females have a burrow or nest depending on the species that they stay in so they can brood their eggs.

HMWard

Arachnopeon
One big Reason most hobbyists look for Females over the males. Males are very unsettled. Then there is the fact that they live such short lives. I had Versicolors one Male and one female. Both acquired as slings. The female lived to 12 years believe it or not but the male died at 18 months no sign of illness just died one day.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel

Have you actually confirmed it's a mature male?

The fact you're asking these questions tells me you haven't done much research on mature male T's.