Why did WC C. vittatus die?

Case

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Let me say first that I am not a scorpion guy (as yet, anyway), have not done much reading on them, and have never kept one. So if I say anything dumb out of ignorance, please correct me gently :).
I was just perusing some posts here in the scorp forum and I thought I might ask you guys a question about a scorpion experience I had last summer.
I was out in the boonies one night collecting beetles, and ran across a C. vittatus. Its body (not counting any length of the tail) was about 1" long. Like I said, I've never been into scorpions, but it was cool and seemed interesting. I thought I'd take it home and observe it for a few days, keep it if I liked it or release it if I didn't. I put it into a mason jar along with some of the sandy dirt I found it crawling on. The jar had an inside diameter of about 3", if that matters. I took it home that night, put a mid-size cricket in with it, and went to bed when it didn't seem to be doing anything with the cricket initially.
The next morning both the cricket and the scorpion were dead. What happened? The jar had ample air holes punched in the lid, and the cricket was from a pet store so shouldn't have been exposed to pesticides.
Is there any trick to scorpion-keeping here that I don't know about, or was this "just one of those things"? Did it get distraught at being removed from the wild and kill itself or something? Or maybe the jar was too small?
I was just wondering about that and thought maybe you guys might be able to shed some light for me.

Thanks!

Case

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Something had to kill both of them. Probably some kind of residue in the jar(chemical). Where did you place this Jar? if it was in the window exposed to sunlight in the mornig, that would definately do it. Or maybe your hands went through some pesticides that you did not notice earlier in you hunt and cross contaminated. Really hard to say. The only other thing i can think of is maybe there was too much humidity and not enough airflow to calm it. I dont Beleive C. Vitattus are a very moisture liking scorp. I may be wrong on that , though.

Mat