Why are so many T's sold as G rosea

Armoworrior

Arachnopeon
As stated above why are so many tarantulas sold as rose hairs and they are not actuall rose hairs is it just a way to get people to buy T's that are supposed to be docile I hope mine is a G Rosea

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
actually I think its more of a case of we don't know what this is so lets just call it a rosehair I mean it does look radically different and spends all its time on the glass but the invoice says its a rosehair so thats what it is trust me I know my reptiles luckily we know better than to trust lps around here so if you can post a picture of your tarantula we can try and get an id on it:clap::};P

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most pet stores have only hears of roses or pink toes. Im sure if they knew what it was thy would probably charge more for it, but they are probably just going by what they bought it as. i think i've heard petco or something has to sell things as what they bought them as even if they clearly arn't. not sure if this is true or not though

KidChromatus

Arachnopeon
When I bought my Pinktoe at my local petstore, they called it a Rose Hair. I was confused on what they were thinking. :?

Sym

Arachnopeon
I noticed this today at Petco. I was looking for some substrate and noticed they had tarantulas, but the spider labeled "Chilean Rose hair" looked nothing like a G. roesea. Even the tag had it labeled "Grammostola pulchripes", but they still called it a rose hair.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
not too many ppl are really big on keying stuff out

i mean, i doubt i could even find the species descriptions for most common hobby assumed species

heck, there are only a relatively few ppl on the boards who are even capable of keying!

(i can, but it is a gnarly slow painful process for me =P)

Tegenaria

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Some selllers probably dont know that much about Ts and presume theyre all docile like Chile roses and smithis, plus its proabbaly a way of selling them-'buy these, theyre friendly and low maintenance!'
Tho i have to add there have been a few instances of not so friendly Chile roses on t'other site!

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Because its the only scientific name the petstore knows?

Armoworrior

Arachnopeon
So did I get lucky is she like a RCF or just a normal rose hair. Just wondering what you'll thought

Armoworrior

Arachnopeon
Oh well I was just wishing she was. She does have some beautiful markings though haven't seen one with stuff like that on there carapace yet. Well atleast on a rose hair

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As stated above why are so many tarantulas sold as rose hairs and they are not actuall rose hairs is it just a way to get people to buy T's that are supposed to be docile I hope mine is a G Rosea
Chilean Rose Hairs are by far the most widely known. So when you have a pet store being run by people who don't know about spiders (thus they can't identify it), they'll just label it as such and continue going about their day.

Many T's are some shade of brown anyway, so I guess some stores aren't very hesitant to just go ahead and label them as rose hairs (unless it has a pattern or colors that clearly show that it isn't a G. rosea). Terrestrial brown tarantula = rose hair :wall: Even then, I'm sure there are stores that are ignorant enough to say that's what species it is even if they don't look like rosea's.