Why a scorpion?

siucfi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have been collecting snakes and T's for quite some time now and have been considering something new. Scorps crossed my mind as a possability but I cannot put my finger on a reason why I should get a scorp. My question based on this is why get a scorpion and if so what is a good beginner sp.

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If you don't know why you should get one, Then maybe you should not get one.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
why?, for the same reason as you keep snakes and tarantulas.

like watching smaller animals get stung?
liek watching the most beautiful life form on the planet? perfect in body shape and proportions?
then you should get a scorpion,

thenagain, i wouldnt want a tarantula or a snake.. i dont know why

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
George Carnell said:
why?, for the same reason as you keep snakes and tarantulas.

thenagain, i wouldnt want a tarantula or a snake.. i dont know why
Dito. Am only interested in scorpions. Don't know why :?

Eurypterid

Arachnerd
Old Timer
They're interesting animals to watch (even when they're not stinging something or ripping it apart), They do look very cool, and for me it's interesting to study an animal that was one of the very first to emerge from the sea and live on land, and to do so with a minimum of change. What a great body design, that it worked so well underwater and on land.

siucfi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds good so far perhaps I will have to give an emp a shot, this may be a dumb question but do people handle their scorps at all?

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
some do, some don't...depends on the species as well. Most (saying most because I'm sure there's somebody out there who's crazy/dumb enough to do it) wouldn't handle a Leirus quinquestriatus or an Androctonus australis (have the most deadly toxins in their venom...5 out of 5 on a venom scale, deaths can and do occur), but there's plenty of people who will handle a Pandinus emperator or a Hadogenes troglodytes because their poison is very mild and they rarely ever sting. But just as with species of T's, even the most docile species can have some individuals who don't live up to it (i'm sure you've heard of aggressive rosies before).

James M.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I sugest staying clear of P. imperator if you are not shure of scorps becouse thay are boaring, always hiding. I say try something active like a desert hary. Thay are said to be not as dangerous as most and still have a intersting personality, sting pray and like working. The only draw back is you got to make shure to not have to much humidity. I was not shure of scorps my self till I started reading post on this sit and now I am hooked. I used to like snakes till I got into arachnids now I realize the snakes suck in comparison and got rid of mine. I love Ts and scorpions. Hay if you do not want a scorpion than so be it, to each his own. Have fun desiding.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
ditto on the Desert Hairy recommendation (Hadrurus arizonensis or a H. spadix...spadix has a darker colored head)

siucfi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks for all the input it is really helping me decide, as of right now I think I will give the ol' scorps a shot.

Eurypterid

Arachnerd
Old Timer
I disagree about the Emperor. They aren't boring, even though they may not be quite as active as some other species. Many Ts and snakes don't move around much either, as long as they are comfortable and happy. That doesn't make them boring; it's just their particular personality. I have two large colonies of juvenile emps, and I think they're some of the most interesting scorps around. They've both dug complex burrow systems, and are quite active if I turn down the lights. Desert hairies are fun too though. I just wouldn't blow off emps so fast.

calestus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
All very good suggestions but deep down inside we all know its because they glow under a blacklight.

Admit it.

:)

TresScorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would also have to agree that emperors are great scorps and are far from boring .. I have a huge colony of EMPs (( 28 adults )) in a 60 gal , they are very active , always digging and construction going on non-stop , One of my favorite Set-ups , also one of my favorite scorps .. :)

The blackLight thing is cool , But i dont use it anymore unless iam cleaning a tank and need to know where the hot 1's are at ..

Last edited:

siucfi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I believe I am sold on the idea, I am going to a show in the middle of october in st. louis and I think I'll have to come home with either an emp or the desert hairy, thanks for all the help guys.

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Emps and desert hairys are great. I do agree that emperors can at times be boring. They are very good beginner scorpions though. I think some of the best beginner scorpions are Vaejovis sp. They are very active, take little space, and can be kept communally. They aren't as big as the others but they are definately worth keeping.