Which is more popular?

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are centipedes or millipedes most oftenly kept as pets? (Excluding ones just taken from the backyard) I just got my first millipedes, AGB at a petco cuz i have wanted them for a long time and i was going to order them anyways and they were going cheap. I just love them to death. According the the legs, i have a pair. I let held the female and it seemed very calm because it didnt roll into a ball or poop or secrete or make a sound. The other one is kinda defensive. Ok im done bragging, so which is more popular and why do you think it is?

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i say it is hard to tell, based on instinct i'd say milli's purely because they are more of a begining invert and most people might keep one and not be a hard-core invert keeper. on the other hand cents are more common on the boards because of their attitude, coloring, and defensiveness, sorry Crunchie :eek: . i think millis are more popular as everyday pets but cents are more popular among hard-core collecters, such as Steven :clap: . BTW, congratz on the milli, a milli was the second invert i kept and i still keep one with a hisser in my collection. i'm also thinking of starting a african milli colony this summer, like Crunchie's. :worship:
-Black Hawk
BTW: look out for that male pede! you'll have loads of little pedelings soon :p

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If I were to buy one, my first would probably be a millipede, just so I could safely take it out and handle it. I like bugs I can handle.

I might get a giant millipede at some point, but I'm also thinking about getting an emporer scorpian or two as well, and there are about a dozen tarantula species I'd like as well. I'll see what I decide on. I want to say "all", but my wallet disagrees.

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
preferance and bias atleast on my part goes with centipedes.

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Certainly in the UK I know of a fair few folk that keep millipedes but only a couple that keep centipedes so I'd could probably say with some certainty that millipedes are the most popular over here. There's also the fact that millipedes are much more commonly available in pet shops and I'd say your average beginner wouldn't think about being able to purchace an animal over the web. Might be the same in America I don't know.

Last edited:

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Crunchie said:
There's also the fact that millipedes are much more commonly available in pet shops and I'd say your avaerage beginner wouldn't think about being able to purchace an animal over the web. Might be the same in America I don't know.
EXACTLY, but i still think that centipedes have a more hard-core following, i still love my milli don't get me wrong but man, the centi i caught, he's somethin else :)

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Black Hawk said:
EXACTLY, but i still think that centipedes have a more hard-core following, i still love my milli don't get me wrong but man, the centi i caught, he's somethin else :)
I think you're right in that there are many more dedicated centipede keepers than millipede ones (from the posts on this board anyway). In fact I only know of about 4 dedicated millipede keepers in the UK but at the same time I know of no one who I would call a dedicated centipede keeper. Still reckon millipedes are the more popular simply due to the whole beginner thing. :)

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
multiple invert keepers love thier centi's, but milli's are overall more popular. can we agree on that crunchie? :p

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Black Hawk said:
multiple invert keepers love thier centi's, but milli's are overall more popular. can we agree on that crunchie? :p
hmmm I think it really depends on where you're talking about... in the UK as I mentioned I know of no person that focuses on centipedes though there are clearly a few on AB(we like our tarantulas and scorps better I think). However those that keep multiple types of inverts are likely to have a few token millipedes/centipedes thrown in (though in the UK I think it tends to be more millipedes). Beginners to inverts would most certainly be more likely to be keeping millipedes;)

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Crunchie said:
hmmm I think it really depends on where you're talking about... in the UK as I mentioned I know of no person that focuses on centipedes though there are clearly a few on AB
there seem to be more UK centi keepers than UK, and Steven, Danread, and Incubu5 seem to love their centi's. ok, now that we're down to it i'll agree with you Crunchie (you don't give up do u? ;) ) Milli's based on sheer sales and being and entry level invertibrate pet are more popular. can we at least agree on that :rolleyes: hahaha

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
i guess both will never be as popular as cats or dogs or T's :p :p :p

to be honest,... who cares what's popular ? :rolleyes:
just spend your time with the stuff YOU like !

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I've traded and sold tons of millis and centis and have dealt with more millipede enthusiasts than I can possibly remember. However, I might be able to count centipede enthusiasts using my fingers (explanatory exaggeration). Thought there aren't very many, centipede enthusiasts are far more zealous and likely to get most any new centipede that comes along with price as a secondary consideration.

2800 posts suggests popularity is at least a secondary consideration.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
this doesn't directly contribute, but most of the time when i'm asking what ppl what in trade, they *don't* want centipedes

i think some ppl with tara & scorp are still discomforted by giant centipedes

hopefully i'll be able to dispel some myth/discomfort with a couple photoshoots iv'e got planned (p.s. step1 accomplished :))

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Steven said:
to be honest,... who cares what's popular ? :rolleyes:
just spend your time with the stuff YOU like !
yep, steven's right. it's centi's for me! i feed him again today, it's sooo much fun to watch. BAM and the cricket is twitching in his legs :eek: :eek: :eek: