What the Hell is This?

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Ok so what is this?...some sort of moth or large midge?

Wingspan is about 1" wide.

John
];')

Attachments

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I see these all the time and I'm pretty sure its a moth. at least powder comes off of the wings

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Pic #3 underside...a bit blurry. Though now that I am looking at a blow-up of the head region I'm pretty sure its some kind of moth...never seen one 'til today though.

John
];')

Attachments

Last edited:

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it is a scorpion fly note its toes on its last pair of legs there very segmented so when a incect come by those snap around it and wala lunch

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Dude its a moth...look at the mouth parts, antenna and wing structure, eyes etc...but mostly the mouth parts...

John
];')

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
One nice thing about working at a nature center is I'm surrounded by field guides. Flipping through the Peterson Field Guide to Eastern Moths (I know you're in the west) I think what you have is a plume moth, family Pterophoridae. The tiny picture they provided was inconclusive, but the description says "Easily recognized by long slender legs and T-shaped appearance when at rest, with rolled wings held at right angles to the body"

Sounds like your guy!

Wade

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wade would appear to have hit the nail on the head with the family. Check this page out for one that looks almost identical.

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Thank you Wade and Chip. Looks just about identical to the Emmelina monodactyla in the link above.

It was just a weird insect that I have never seen in Colorado even though I have lived here for seven years. I know that there is usually someone somewhere on this site who has a serious idea of what is temporarily unidentifiable.

John
];')

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what happened was, i was looking in an old book and it said scorpion fly and had an actual pic which ur "moth" looked exactly like