What kinds of plastic shoeboxes can be used for housing T's?

MexicanRedKnee

Arachnopeon
I have a bunch of rubbermaid 4636 shoeboxes lying around from my snake racks, but I'm not sure if I can use them for T's. They have simple lids that attack with only a small, simple tab on the front and back of the cover. I think a larger, persistent T could open it with its fangs. I was going to use them but after observing some large roseas trying to open deli cup lids with their fangs I realized I wanted something a little more secure. I'm looking for containers with covers that can't be opened and also stackable.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use the ones at Wall-Mart {I know}

They cost $1.50!

Drill holes w/ different bits......a P-Touch label and...Blamo! ;)

Those ones have great side-handle "locks" {T's can't open}.

- Jason

Last edited:

MexicanRedKnee

Arachnopeon
What is a good potting soil to use? I have some bags of miracle-gro organic potting soil, mixed with coconut fiber. I used it for my dart frog vivariums and I would like to use it if it's safe for Tarantulas. The soil is about 50% peat and 50% bark mulch. It's of a very fine consistency and there are absolutely no large particles or wood chips or pieces in it.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't use anything in cages....

....That says: MIRACLE... {Poison frogs, Very sensitive creatures}

Even if organic....which makes me think safe thoughts{I live in Hippie Town}.

Coco and peat are good bottom layers though. I use dryer {controversal}
:rolleyes: wood chips for desert T's, like arid loving GBB's and Aphonopelmas.

Never had a problem w/ coco Bricks for sale......I buy them a case at a time!

Hope that helps......I have shifted hobbies and equipment as well ;)

- J

Faing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Drill holes w/ different bits......a P-Touch label and...Blamo! ;)

Those ones have great side-handle "locks" {T's can't open}.

- Jason[/QUOTE]

these side latches wouldn't be a light shade of green would they? If so I think we use the same containers... perfect for ts.

And yes, as long as the potting soil is organic without any pesticides or fertilizer it is safe for your tarantula. I usually use an organic potting soil/ vermiculite/ coco fiber mix myself. Peat moss can be used too but I don't use it myself usually. I think everyone has their own favorite mix of substrate. Sterilizing the dirt yourself first is a wise idea though, as I'm sure you know.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you think the T can open them put velcro strips on the sides. It has worked for us.