What kind of water do you use?

Dead Blue Deer

Arachnopeon
I live in Arizona and have city water. It doesn't taste the best (for drinking water I use the filter on the fridge) and has a high amount of minerals in it. So, my question is, when you fill your tarantulas' water dishes, do you use city/tap water? Filtered water? Distilled or reverse-osmosis water? Is there a difference? Does it matter? Apologies if this question has already been asked. Thanks!

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I live in Arizona and have city water. It doesn't taste the best (for drinking water I use the filter on the fridge) and has a high amount of minerals in it. So, my question is, when you fill your tarantulas' water dishes, do you use city/tap water? Filtered water? Distilled or reverse-osmosis water? Is there a difference? Does it matter? Apologies if this question has already been asked. Thanks!
Tap water is what I've always used for inverts

cold blood

Staff member
Tap.

even the worst quality water humans use is cleaner than what wild animals live their lives drinking from....your water is a very low concern.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I'm in a big city (Toronto) and I have always used tap water for everyone - me, the cats, the snakes, the gecko, the tarantulas, all the other inverts - and we're all hunky-dory.

Nongkym

Arachnopeon
Unless your neighbors are sick or live in known areas where the tap water is "non-potable" (like Flint, Michigan) then straight from the faucet is probably cleaner water than what a wild T would encounter in their natural habitat. Additional minerals (such as hard water) do not appear to pose any harm to T's. After years of living in NM with extremely hard water- none of my animals had issues, only the pipes in my home! I do recommend avoid using distilled water. Kudos for being an "over protective" T owner! ;)

mellow

Arachnobaron
I have been using distilled water instead of tap water for years, because unlike tap water it doesn't have chlorine. 😃

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have been using distilled water instead of tap water for years, because unlike tap water it doesn't have chlorine. 😃
Because distilled water does not contain any minerals - it pulls those minerals from the body of the organism drinking it. I would never drink it myself, or give it to any of my animals. The risk of it doing harm negates any benefits.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I use tap water that I treat with water conditioner to remove chlorine/ chloramine. I know it's probably unnecessary, but it gives me peace of mind. I'm a worrywart, especially when it comes to my pets.

mellow

Arachnobaron
Because distilled water does not contain any minerals - it pulls those minerals from the body of the organism drinking it. I would never drink it myself, or give it to any of my animals. The risk of it doing harm negates any benefits.
So distilled water doesn't have minerals, should I use bottled water with added minerals instead? What kind of minerals do they actually need and why would you say that distilled water with no minerals is dangerous to use? It's been working for me for a long time now. 😃

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
So distilled water doesn't have minerals, should I use bottled water with added minerals instead? What kind of minerals do they actually need and why would you say that distilled water with no minerals is dangerous to use? It's been working for me for a long time now. 😃
They don't need added minerals. Just regular water.

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
I use bottled water, only because of the high amount of calcium carbonate in the ground water source for our town supply. Not a health issue, just avoids white build up as the water evaporates.