What kind of mantis choose?

Spiderling LT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi all,
I will start growing mantids, and I have quastion, what kind of mantis is the best for biginer?
That she will look nice and big? And needless of a lot of heating? Example 22-25 C?{D
I hawe this type of food for them: crickets, roches, mealworms, zoofobus and drosophilas.
What you can suggest? Maby some of Africa spp?
And how you suggest heating them? I hawe heating cables.
Where I can put the cable, on the wall or on the bottom?
Thanks, and sorry for my bad english:)

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Any Hierodula spp. or Sphodromantis spp. are good large beginner's species. Just be sure they have molted 2 or more times.

Last edited:

Spiderling LT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
jezzy607 said:
Any Hierodula spp. or Sphodromantis spp. are good large beginner's species. Just be sure they have molted 2 or more times.
Thanks, what about food is good, what I hawe?

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes. I feed my Sphodromantis gastrica crickets, Tenebrio molitor and small roaches like Nauphoeta cinerea. Zophobas are too large (and maybe dangerous) for them.

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the best type off mantis for begginer are the sphodromantis spp. becuse there easy to look after and u dont need to keep them at some sertain fussy humidity or temp but with the more pretty and cool flower mantises u do. :D yay im going to get a mantis soon but it still hasnt came in from the order i ordered it befor xmas and i still havent got it grrrrrr i cant wait till i get it (it will be a sphodromantis spp.) :D

Last edited: