what is this???

Calisa1969

Arachnopeon
I found this little guy on a piece of bread while making a sandwich... I have no clue as to what it is, I thought maybe a milipede or centipede. I tried looking for some images of something similar but came up empty handed. Someone told me it probably wasn't a milipede, but maybe a centiped and suggested that I check here. Any feedback would be appreciated greatly.
It looks as though it only has legs near his head, and nothing towards the end. Maybe 6 legs and 2 little feelers? that's what it looks like to me. He is only maybe 3/4 of an inch long.
I do have more pictures that may be better than this one. If anyone is interested in seeing them, please email me.

Thanks
Lisa
(calisa1969@aol.com)

Attachments

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
Hi,
I would say,from what I can make out frm your pic,that it is almost definetly not a centipede or millipede.Probably some sort of insect larvae. I'm sure someone on the boards with more expertise than me in this field will be able to give a better answer.Some higher definition pics would help,if possible.
:?

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
Oblivion,
You beat me to it! Great minds think alike.
George

scarypoppins

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well i can tell you that its not a pede. and finding out what it is on line is going to be hard because alot of larva look the same so if you realy want to know what it is put it in a deli cup with some bread and grains and wait till it pupates than look for the beetle on line. thats what i wouyld do

Calisa1969

Arachnopeon
what is this??? reply

Thanks you guys... I did find some beetle larva pics and yes they all look like my little friend. So I think I am going to wait and see what happens with this guy....
Thank you all for your quick replies :)

scarypoppins

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
no problem have fun with him. i used to do that with cicadas when i was a kid its a blast

jay

oblivion56

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cicadas

this summer is the 17th year in maryland for the cicadas,i cant wait!let the invasion begin!

scarypoppins

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you should go out when it gets warmer and find the larvae and put them in a jar with some sticks its realy neat to see

oblivion56

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i used to do that when i was a kid,very strange creatures!i also used to tie some thread around them and "fly"them

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I haven't been able to find exactly what type of beetle larvae that is, but thanks to Richard E. Whites' Field Guide to Beetles of North America I have learned that the shape of that larvae is known as "campodeiform". Thise type is typical of many predaceous beetles, such as ground and tiger beetles. You might want to try feeding it small insects!

Wade

oblivion56

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow wade,your the man!i was content with just saying it was beetle larvae!=D btw,hows the fingers?