What is Peat Moss?

Urzeitmensch

Arachnosquire
So, I want to mix my cocofibre with something that makes it more solid for better burrowing conditions and a less dusty feel.

I see "Peat Moss" recommended a lot but I am not sure what exactly this is and where to get it in Germany/Europe. Searching for it outside of US sites brings up very mixed results ranging from coco fibre to spanghum moss.

Can anyone point me to what exactly this is? It may sound dumb, but with the abundance of soil and substrate products I simply can't pinpoint the right stuff.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
If I remember, I heard it is next to impossible to find peat moss over in Europe.

Mpmackenna

ArachnoNerd
Old Timer
Found this interesting article... hope it helps.

Mike

What’s the Difference Between Spagmoss and Peat Moss? The Environment

Sphagnum moss and sphagnum peat moss (frequently known simply as “peat moss”) are often confused for the same growing material. In truth, they’re two different parts of the same plant, but the impact of their use is wildly different. Sphagnum moss is a plant that grows on the surface of soil or a swamp. It thrives in New Zealand and other wet climates. It is carefully harvested to ensure regeneration of bogs, a cycle which typically takes 5-6 years. Peat moss, on the other hand, is the layer of decaying, water-saturated sphagnum moss that has sunk below the surface. It is the basis of swamp land, forming over thousands of years. Although peat moss can be found in potting soils in nearly every gardening center in the world, harvesting peat moss is not a sustainable practice. It takes thousands of years for peat moss to develop, and harvesting it requires digging up bogs, which destroys the potential for regeneration of the swamp.

Properties of Spagmoss vs. Peat Moss

The properties of sphagnum moss include:

Neutral pH
Water-retention
Pliable and soft growing as a growing material
Long-fibered
Pure moss (no other plant material)
Used as a seed-starter, to line baskets, for growing orchids, and as additional growing material in potting soils

Sphagnum peat moss:

Is acidic and high in tannins
Can be up to 70% water
Is naturally compacted and sold compressed into bales)
Contains a mixture of organic materials, including moss, decaying plant matter, and dead insects
Is used in potting and garden soils

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
So, I want to mix my cocofibre with something that makes it more solid for better burrowing conditions and a less dusty feel.

I see "Peat Moss" recommended a lot but I am not sure what exactly this is and where to get it in Germany/Europe. Searching for it outside of US sites brings up very mixed results ranging from coco fibre to spanghum moss.

Can anyone point me to what exactly this is? It may sound dumb, but with the abundance of soil and substrate products I simply can't pinpoint the right stuff.
To find out what peat moss is exactly, you can search Google for that. The reason it might be rare or impossible to find in Europe is because it is destructive to the ecosystems it is found in (peat bogs). Peat moss and coco fiber share the same properties in that they are both organic, fibrous, soil additives used to mix with heavy soils to aerate and provide water retention for plants. Peat moss has two major draw backs which makes it difficult to work with in tarantula enclosures: 1) it is just as dusty or even more so than coco fiber and 2) it is more difficult to rehydrate when it dries out. By comparison, coco fiber soaks up water like a sponge and holds onto it better. I don't understand why anyone would recommend mixing peat moss with coco fiber since they both share the same properties.

If you need to provide a more dense soil for burrowing tarantulas, you will need to mix coco fiber with a loamy soil. Loamy soils contain clay, silt, ash, sand, and decomposed organic matter in some proportions. It is the type of soil you usually see near rivers and lakes. When damp, it retains the shape of your hand when squeezed and when dry, usually becomes hard. Loamy soils are very dense so they are heavy when used by itself. Mixing coco fiber and loamy soil together provides a light weight soil that is both dense enough to retain a tarantula burrow and light enough for a tarantula to actually be able to dig in it. Not to mention safer for you to move the enclosures around without worry of dropping it or putting too much weight on your shelves.

Since I am American, I can not recommend brand names or where to get loamy soil mixtures in Germany. You will have to branch out into the horticulture shops around you and ask for it. In America, loamy soils are sold as generic top soil or potting soil. You will need to find something similar and stay away from anything with synthetic or organic fertilizers (an example of an organic fertilizer would be manure).

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If I remember, I heard it is next to impossible to find peat moss over in Europe.
No it is readily avalible chep. I have used it for 19 years

It is my favourite substrate! Very good for retaining moisture and for digging burrows in! Uts superior to coco fibre. But that is my personal opinion

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
something that makes it more solid for better burrowing conditions and a less dusty feel.
Well coco fiber is actually fantastic for this, but you absulotely MUST tamp it down tightly.

Peat is also the "dustiest" sub one can buy.

Peats good, but my experiences with it are pretty much the opposite of vanisher.

It does hold moisture better than anything, but when dry, its quite hydrophobic and can take days to finally absorb water. IMO the biggest advantage to peat is that its incredibly light....pretty much the opposite of the top soil i use. And because of its density, top soil is the one sub you do not tamp down tightly.

If you want better burrowing, you can use organic top soil
Never, and I can't stress this enough, never buy topsoil labeled organic. All topsoil is inherently organic, when you see this specific label on the bag it is in reference not to the soil, but to the additives. Generally these additives are manure, compost or other unwanted items.

The topsoil that should be purchased is the absolute cheapest topsoil available, the stuff not marketed for growing plants, but instead marketed for filling holes or leveling ground.

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I heard it is next to impossible to find peat moss over in Europe.
We mostly use sedge peat in Europe IIRC.

It's made from partially decomposed reed sedge, is darker in colour and slightly less acidic than sphagnum moss peat

Urzeitmensch

Arachnosquire
Well coco fiber is actually fantastic for this, but you absulotely MUST tamp it down tightly.

Peats good, but my experiences with it are pretty much the opposite of vanisher.

It does hold moisture better than anything, but when dry, its quite hydrophobic and can take days to finally absorb water. IMO the biggest advantage to peat is that its incredibly light....pretty much the opposite of the top soil i use. And because of its density, top soil is the one sub you do not tamp down tightly.

Never, and I can't stress this enough, never buy topsoil labeled organic. All topsoil is inherently organic, when you see this specific label on the bag it is in reference not to the soil, but to the additives. Generally these additives are manure, compost or other unwanted items.

The topsoil that should be purchased is the absolute cheapest topsoil available, the stuff not marketed for growing plants, but instead marketed for filling holes or leveling ground.
Well, sounds like Peat Moss is not what I am searching for anyway. I will try to pack down the cocofibre more and if this does not satisify me I will try mixing it with some topsoil.

Looking to get an ephebopus murinus, want to provide her with some good substrate for making a solid burrow.

StampFan

Arachnodemon

Is there a sticky or a master list on Arachnoboards or elsewhere on safe top soil brands?

cold blood

Staff member
Is there a sticky or a master list on Arachnoboards or elsewhere on safe top soil brands?
no

20181206_143701.jpg

Ive used both of there without issue.

Problem is, even the same brands will differ depending on one's location, so theres not always clear cut answers. For instance, the earthgro that I prefer, is sub par for those in southern California.

It's best to know what to look for and what not to look for. The stuff that you want to use will be the cheapest soil sold....it will never be topsoil marketed for growing plants, instead, its generally marketed for filling holes and leveling ground.

Last edited:

StampFan

Arachnodemon
no

View attachment 309954

Ive used both of there without issue.

Problem is, even the same brands will differ depending on one's location, so theres not always clear cut answers. For instance, the earthgro that I prefer, is sub par for those in southern California.

It's best to know what to look for and what not to look for. The stuff that you want to use will be the cheapest soil sold....it will never be topsoil marketed for growing plants, instead, its generally marketed for filling holes and leveling ground.
Thanks! Just trying to avoid the issues @Tomoran had with his one bag of contaminated soil.