What is a species that you have no interest in keeping?

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
For me personally it's T. selandonia. They're beautiful spiders, no doubt, but the expensive prices and difficulty of keeping them doesn't appeal to me. Some keepers also report not seeing them out of their trapdoors very often. I'd much rather just look at photos of other people's specimens than keep one myself. Different preferences for everyone I guess! What are some species that you're just not interested in adding to your collections?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
As much as I don't like some species or genus of tarantula. I wouldn't mind keeping them or giving them a try. What I mean is that having one specimen is plenty for a species I don't like, but I wouldn't necessarily pass on it entirely if it was offered to me. An example is that I don't really like the LP since it wasn't as hyped as I thought it would be. But it doesn't mean I wouldn't give them a try in my collection. I learn that the species I'd least expect to be interesting are the ones that turn out to be the most interesting to me in some form or fashion.

Now in relation to this thread, there are species or certain genus' I would like to try but are just in a labeling or scientific mess. Which makes me want to steer away from them. These include: Pamphobeteus genus and the majority of the asian species (Cyriopagopus, Ornithoctonus, Ornithoctonae, Chilobrachys, etc.). Now I do have plans to jump into them in the future for sure.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
My Stromatopelma calceatum is starting to bore me. He/she's never out. It was free, so I can't complain.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
My Stromatopelma calceatum is starting to bore me. He/she's never out. It was free, so I can't complain.
That’s one I wanted despite the hot bite . H mac I liked also but mine mysteriously died I bought it as adult must been old. And the one I raised was male .
There no species I can say I won’t want beside that trapdoor one that doesn’t live long . I Forgot its-name???
T. selandonia

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For me personally it's T. selandonia. They're beautiful spiders, no doubt, but the expensive prices and difficulty of keeping them doesn't appeal to me. Some keepers also report not seeing them out of their trapdoors very often. I'd much rather just look at photos of other people's specimens than keep one myself. Different preferences for everyone I guess! What are some species that you're just not interested in adding to your collections?
There's too many to list.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Old Worlds, and any fossorials regardless of their geographical origin.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
I love trapdoor spiders and the Avic genera so naturally I have TSels.

They're not difficult at all. I think they simply suffered from the early Avic Effect--IE nobody knew how to keep them so everybody who rushed in without good practices killed them off. I got them after breeders had established successful husbandry practices to emulate so it's been smooth sailing for me.

I just bugged one at it's trapdoor enough yesterday that it took the cricket so I would go away.

There's a lot of different species I probably won't ever own, and a few genera I have no interest in. I'm personally not interested in Lasiodora parahybana, or anything that fits the big black or brown crawling pet rock archetype. That's a lot of species right there.

My collection is evenly split between arboreals and pet holes, with a few terrestrials sprinkled in. No giant rocks here.

Oh, I'll never get a T. albo, I hate the bald hairy look some of them get. Oddly enough I like the C. versicolor hairy look. It has to come down to the color, I can find no other reason.

Nothing against those who like the big hairy pet rocks. Some people are into Poodles--there's nothing wrong with that--I'm just not into it.

sparticus

Arachnoknight
I have very little interest in:
-"Big Brown Spiders"
-"Pet Rock Spiders"
-Old World Spiders (not really a lack of interest, just a compromise with housemates)
I like:
-bright/interesting colors
-quick, active
-spicy attitude and/or good feeding response
My 2 brachypelma girls are at the low end of my tolerance for activity level, I guess that makes for a good display spider, but also a little boring. Arboreals are fun. Dwarfs seem kinda fun- I only have a few so far. I would definitely go for T. Seladonia if the price comes down a bit or if I found a good deal.

Timc

Arachnosquire
I’m kinda cheap so any sling that costs over $50, yeah, I’m out.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I'm not going to respond with specifics because if I do, then I'm bound to have a shelf of them at some point..... Case in point, I NEVER thought I would keep Aphonopelma spp and now I have 25 specimens representing 10 species....

thedragonslapper

Arachnosquire
E. pachypus. I’ve only ever seen ONE of those personally in 15 years of keeping and I think I can guess why. They don’t grow very large, the grow slow I presume, are drably colored, and they’re fossorial. The epitome of boring.

If we’re talking more popular Ts I’m not so sure I’d take a P. muticus unless it was an already large yet barely mature female. I don’t like the idea of waiting until I’m a retiree to watch a sling grow lol. Same deal with Aphonopelma unless I can get a decent sized specimen.

I love both my LPs tho. The big one never hides and even the juvie doesn’t spend as much time hiding away since it’s last molt.

MariaLewisia

Arachnoknight
There's a few genera I'm currently not interested in keeping. Pokies is the one that surprises most people since I love colourful arboreals. I'm just not at all drawn to them. They're pretty and all but I just look at them and feel "meh, not for me".
Same goes for Pamphobeteus, Phormictopus and Xenesthis. Pretty, and I wouldn't say no to a freebie, but I'm not going to buy myself any.

I'm also not interested in owning any Australian species due to reports of their venom being potentially deadly to dogs. Not 100% sure it was actually a tarantula the dogs were bit by, but these reports were still published in internal vet med articles and I don't want to take any risks with my own dog. I can live without those species.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
I'm very picky and so it's easier for me to list the species that I'm interested in😂

I would keep a tarantula if and only if it meets the following conditions:

1. It's not fossorial, and doesn't hide often.
2. It's not extremely defensive or skittish (I mean obt level here).
3. It's big (at least 5 inches DLS, so no dwarf Ts for me)

This pretty much eliminates almost all old world Ts, as well as dwarf Ts and trap door species. In practice, the only things I'm interested in are L parahybana, A geniculata, Grammostola pulchra and iheringi, Theraphosa stirmi and blondi, Tliltocatl albopilosus, verdezi, and vagans, most brachypelma species (especially emilia and albiceps), P atrichomatus and cancerides, and GBB.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Pretty much any NW with hairs. I still have a couple, but I try to minimize for sure.

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
Some of the really small dwarf Ts that don't tackle feeders their own size or larger, mostly because I'm terrified of the idea that I might not have any feeders small enough for the slings to eat. At least T. seladonia is willing to tackle bigger stuff....

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Damn I feel like the odd one out here! I love me some dwarfs, pet holes, and the slow growing pet rocks!

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
There's a few genera I'm currently not interested in keeping. Pokies is the one that surprises most people since I love colourful arboreals. I'm just not at all drawn to them. They're pretty and all but I just look at them and feel "meh, not for me".
Same goes for Pamphobeteus, Phormictopus and Xenesthis. Pretty, and I wouldn't say no to a freebie, but I'm not going to buy myself any.

I'm also not interested in owning any Australian species due to reports of their venom being potentially deadly to dogs. Not 100% sure it was actually a tarantula the dogs were bit by, but these reports were still published in internal vet med articles and I don't want to take any risks with my own dog. I can live without those species.
Add in baboons and Chilobrachys and you just described the spiders I love the most. Interesting how different people's perspectives can be.

For me, all the pet rocks are no-go. Docile, low energy, slow metabolism NW spiders are just not for me. I've owned plenty through the years, won't ever buy any again.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I wouldn't get slings of slow growers. I have long, long, long term commitment issues.

Also, I didn't think I'd ever want a dwarf, but that lava look struck me and I am now completely enamored by my wee Davus sp panama. When I gave her a cricket the same size as her a couple of days ago, the cricket immediately ran into her hide (which she rarely uses). She walked over and put her first legs up on the top of her hide, blocking the exit. Then she walked in and gave the cricket a big hug. The next 1.5 seconds looked like she was on a bucking bronco, then the cricket collapsed under her. How can you not love that?