What causes....

Smilodon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Trapdoors to not burrow? I relocated my two about three weeks ago and neither of them have started a new burrow. Any thoughts?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
if cage conditions are not right they might not burrow
if they are approaching molt they might not burrow
if the substrate is not right they might not burrow
if they are failign to thrive they might not burrow

randomly they might not burrow. ofcourse, that most likely means not truly random but circumstances we are not hip to

Smilodon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm using eco-earth for my substrate, and it's on a shallow slope. There's water and plenty of room to move around in there. They're both ravenous eaters. What else? :?

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What species of trapdoor are we talking about?

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm, well I have heard of one other person with this issue and I have no idea how you can fix it. If they arent mature males, but still are eating and such then I wouldnt worry about it.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you've probably tried this, but just in case you haven't... starting a burrow for them seems to help.

Smilodon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hmm, well I have heard of one other person with this issue and I have no idea how you can fix it. If they arent mature males, but still are eating and such then I wouldnt worry about it.
Why don't mature males burrow?

you've probably tried this, but just in case you haven't... starting a burrow for them seems to help.
I actually just did that tonight, so we'll see what happens in the mornin. I didn't even think of doing that til today. :wall:

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mature males dont burrow because they are usually wandering looking for a mate.

You also may want to put a bit of moss in with the spiders, I have heard that can trigger burrowing...

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you cant get them to burrow, send them to me! ill have them burrowing in no time!!!! :D

-josh

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
like many have stated, its not keeping them at the right conditions...i've gotten l.malayanus from people who have had them for some time.. that never trapped for them but i get them, change and moisten the sub and in a day i have them in traps????

i have mine in sterlite tub's with really moist eco-earth...and all have created new traps for me.. it seems they like greater surface area imo and when they find spot that suits them (usally in a corner)they start building lol....

wayne

Smilodon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have to admitt the substrate isn't that moist. I'll go grab some kritter keepers or somethin and see if I can't get them to burrow. Do you mist them?