What a HUGE Steaming Pile of Manure!

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/story/4218207p-4811390c.html

The doctor who made the diagnosis of a "Hobo Spider" bite that "INSTANTLY eats away human flesh and tissue", seriously needs to have his medical practice license revoked for making such a blatantly stupid statement! Thankfully, they did get an entymologist to state that it's really impossible to pinpoint a spider as the culprit behind a wound, without seeing it bite, when there are so many things that can cause a similar wound, but I wonder how many people will actually read that part.

pitbulllady

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is a load of crap. You'd think "professionals" would have enough sense not to immediately jump to conclusion and blame a well-known species.

Last year when I went to get my shots for college, I told the nurse that I love spiders and that I raise tarantulas. She asked me the usual "are they poisonous?" I wish they required those in the medical field to learn about animals, especially venomous ones.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is a load of crap. You'd think "professionals" would have enough sense not to immediately jump to conclusion and blame a well-known species.

Last year when I went to get my shots for college, I told the nurse that I love spiders and that I raise tarantulas. She asked me the usual "are they poisonous?" I wish they required those in the medical field to learn about animals, especially venomous ones.
If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me if spiders were 'poisonous'...
I'd be damn near rich.

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My goodness that smells..
It really is too bad that some poeple are so..well.. stupid.
T.agrestis is a very beautiful species of spider.
it's too bad they have so much negative media attention.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah I hear this crap all the time, remember, we're the weirdoes.:rolleyes:

Tegenaria

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What? Surely this cant be right:
Hobo spider bites are rare but can instantly kill human tissue, Simonsen said. Although the woman didn't feel the spider bite, Simonsen said within 24 hours a painful 20-centimetre blister emerged and she was left with a crater of black, dead tissue on her leg.
A Tegenaria??

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
Just another example of poor medical care in a socialized medical system. Too bad the guy doesn't read articles by his peers:

An approach to spider bites. Erroneous attribution of dermonecrotic lesions to brown recluse or hobo spider bites in Canada. Bennett RG, Vetter RS.
British Columbia Ministry of Forests, Saanichton. Robb.Bennett@gems6.gov.bc.ca

OBJECTIVE: To dispel prevalent myths surrounding diagnosis of dermonecrotic and associated conditions supposedly resulting from bites of brown recluse, hobo, or other spiders in Canada. SOURCES OF INFORMATION: Worldwide, spider bites are regularly misdiagnosed as the etiologic agents in human dermonecrosis mainly as a result of inaccurate, erroneous, or hyperbolic popular and professional literature based on inference, circumstantial evidence, inferior clinical trials, and misunderstanding of the facts regarding spider-bite envenomation. MAIN MESSAGE: A working diagnosis of "spider bite" or publishing a case history should be considered only when a spider is caught in the act of biting or otherwise reliably associated with a lesion. Accurate identification of the spider could be critical for correct diagnosis and subsequent treatment. CONCLUSION: Brown recluse spiders are not found in Canada. Hobo spiders have not been reliably implicated in dermonecrosis. Worldwide, spider-bite envenomation is an unlikely cause of dermonecrosis. Canadian physicians should give priority consideration to other, more likely, causes.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Beautiful post wsimms,:clap: :clap:

Im sending this to some physicians I know.

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, very good post.

"Are they poisonous?"
"No, but the hairs irritate the roof of my mouth."

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
FYI, most of these purported spider bites are actually community acquired MRSA infections (methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus). The poor spider is usually just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Spiders don't carry staph.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
FYI, most of these purported spider bites are actually community acquired MRSA infections (methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus). The poor spider is usually just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Spiders don't carry staph.
Yep, that's exactly it. My son's mother got an infection that she (and I, admittedly) thought was a spider bite. We know it's not from any of my spiders, since they're in a separate locked room, not to mention I don't have anything that would create that type of wound.

Anyway, the doctor said exactly that, wsimms. That it's a form of staph infection and they see it all the time. They also mentioned that people mistake them all the time for spider bites.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes, very good post.

"Are they poisonous?"
"No, but the hairs irritate the roof of my mouth."
My point though was that spiders aren't poisonous, they're venomous. People don't seem to know the difference.

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Um, yes, I know. If they were poisonous you'd have to eat one or know of someone who ate one and was poisoned thus the sarcastic remark to say it irritates the mouth.....oh never mind.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
"Fear" creates so many dramatic stories that create even more fear. I just read some exaggerated, dramatic info about centipedes on a popular site today ...some nutty stuff. Man against nature!!!!!:rolleyes:

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Um, yes, I know. If they were poisonous you'd have to eat one or know of someone who ate one and was poisoned thus the sarcastic remark to say it irritates the mouth.....oh never mind.
I thought your joke was hilarious! {D

spiders4life

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me if spiders were 'poisonous'...
I'd be damn near rich.

Haha yehr and id be breeding Moncetropus balfuoris by now, if i had a dollar everytime....

Are the "hobospider" refered to realy Tegenaria agretis?? (Sorry if the question may look stoopid, but in Sweden we only use scientiffic names for our animals)
Regards Mikael

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Haha yehr and id be breeding Moncetropus balfuoris by now, if i had a dollar everytime....

Are the "hobospider" refered to realy Tegenaria agretis?? (Sorry if the question may look stoopid, but in Sweden we only use scientiffic names for our animals)
Regards Mikael
yep they are

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You would just have to make skin contact if they were poisonous. :}

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You would just have to make skin contact if they were poisonous. :}
I hate to be a pain to you xhexdx, but , nope monarch caterpiller is just one of many examples;)

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"You would just have to make skin contact if they were poisonous."

Huh??? Where does that information come from? I believe many more poisons are dangerous from ingestion, inhalation, or injection than are dangerous from skin contact. Haven't you ever picked up a poisonous mushroom? I have. It was poisonous, not venomous, and it certainly didn't make me sick from touching it.