wet towel to keep vivarium humid ?

endogenys

Arachnopeon
hello ! i have an a. gigas millipede who is currently in diapause ... i provide a moisture gradient by keeping half of her substrate more moist than the other as well as misting multiple times a day. i was wondering if it's of any benefit to put a wet towel over the top of her vivarium ? the vivarium i have has heavy ventilation so i figured it'd be good for keeping that under control too but i just wanted to make sure that there's no possible adverse effects to this. i checked and the temperature in the vivarium is still at a good 23°c despite the water being kinda cold. thanks so much !

Dijon

Arachnopeon
So long as the lower levels of substrate are moist I would not bother with the towel. I would worry that it could grow bacteria that could affect your critter :) You can use cling film and tape to lower the ventilation if that is a concern but a towel seems overkill if you are already misting and have good moist substrate.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I’d worry about bacteria grown as well as the wet towel decreasing temperatures. I’m using a silicone baking mat on top of my scorpions enclosure. It’s heat resistant so I can also set the heat lamp on top of it and it’s easy to wipe down.

catboyeuthanasia

Arachnosquire
If it's to keep humidity up while you are away from home, I recommend instead lowering ventilation by covering some of the holes, or getting a friend or automatic misting machine.