weeelll...here i come, into the void

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
got T's...got scorps...and now i'm getting a S. subspinipes on Monday (if the carrier comes through) against my gf's wishes :p It's a Vietnamese 'pede and already have it's tank setup. glass aquarium...10"H X 12"D X 20"W, the pede is about 6" long i believe (between 5 and 7 inches) so from what i've gathered here that is about right. I've got 100% peat moss for the substrate with a fake piece of twisted wood and a piece of shale resting on it and a piece of fake bamboo for support. Also have it setup so it's like a cave under the rock but where I can see in to it. It can also burrow underneath the fake wood to it's heart's content...not flat either :)

from the top:

from the front (note the cave...hopefully it will be useful lol):

I've been reading this forum from page one to the beginning..."only" on page 39 now but think I've got the general gist of how to keep these things and who here REALLY knows their pedes lol. I'll prob be calling on Steven, Wade, or the other know-it-alls to ID it if possible when it comes in. Should be able to get some good macro shots with my gf's camera...i need pics of the antenna's and the terminal legs right?

beyond that i don't know what else i can get besides crix...prob have to start my own roach colony (whee...i HATE roaches). Is it ok to feed it neighbor's and small children? One website i found mentioned that they sometimes dust their crix with calcium powder...anyone else do that here?

beyond that...not sure i have any other major questions or concerns. I have some 10 or 12" feeding tongs and a set of BBQ tongs for the inverts, just have to get a good lid. I have 6 feet of velcro with the adhesive backing I bought from home depot for satan incarnate...if i get a regular aquarium lid with the thick metal screen I should be ok right? It MIGHT be able to get on the lid from the fake wood but not at the size it currently is, or possibly the silicone but i doubt it...not gonna chew through the screen right?

Thanks and please make room for me...cuz here i come!

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Josh, I would suggest using a plain piece of flat cork bark for its hide, easier to lift up I would suspect, but your caver ought to suffice provided your pede doesn't manage to collapse it onto itself.

I use peat moss and black earth soil mixture for my pedes. I found peat moss was not meeting my needs/desires for my pedes (too dry, and clumpy).

Other than that your setup looks good to me. Not sure abou tyour screen lid... you might want to try glass/plexiglass with holes drilled/burned into it.

Mori

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
thanks for the input...i do have a piece of plexi here, just need someone to cut it and i can get a drill.

as for the shale...i pushed on it with my hand and it's stable, but what you say about the cork bark being easier to move makes sense as well. Hmmm...have to think about that.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
If you make a plexiglass lid you WILL need to make it escape proof somehow. I don't know how you would go about doing this.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just cut the plexiglass to within one half of one mm of the edege of the tank lid. (so that the plexi took up all the room and fit snugly in the top of the tank, it gets duct taped down. 1/8th inch vent holes drilled (carefully!)
Yes, the duct tape has to be replaced periodicly but would you rather have an escapie? :? :rolleyes:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
the piece of scrap plexi i have is just about the right size...have to do a little trimming, just have to find someone with a jig saw (figure a skil saw would crack it...if I'm wrong lemme know). Although...wouldn't hurt to buy both but my finances are kinda tight right now as I'm about to put a deposit down on a new apartment and then rent is due. Was saving the plexi for a car stereo project but my gf and I's safety is a bit higher on the priority list...

Will the metal screen lid suffice for a week or two or is this something i really need to address ASAP?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
the lid is an ASAP thng, centipedes are good climbers if there's anything they can use to reach a cleft or ledge.