Vivarium for an Amblypygid

ocelotti

Arachnopeon
Hi all!

I recently got an amblypygid from my local reptile shop. This is my first invert (with the exception of some poorly-cared-for hermit crabs as a child), so I've doing as much research as I can, but I'm finding that information beyond the basics is rather sparse.

Currently, it's approximately 4-6 months old and housed in a small Zilla arboreal micro habitat, with soil and sphagnum moss as substrate and several pieces of cork bark. The shop-owners recommended keeping it in there until it's grown a bit, so it doesn't have trouble hunting. Once it outgrows that, I want to move it into a bioactive terrarium, so I don't have to clean as much and to offer as natural a habitat as possible. However, I'm not finding many examples online of others who have done bioactive enclosures for amblypygi. I know to have a drainage layer, some sort of screen, then substrate. I plan to add sphagnum moss to keep the humidity up, plus leaf-litter for the isopods. I'll have a climbable backdrop, plus plenty of corkbark. At the reptile shop, they recommended setting up the vivarium and letting the isopods and springtails establish before introducing the amblypygid.

Some questions I have:
What size terrarium is appropriate for an adult amblypygid? Would 8x10x15 inches work? I've seen conflicting information, with some saying that it should be at least twice its legspan in every direction, and others saying that non-vertical space is wasted.
Should I go straight from a small terrarium to the full-size one, or would it be better to have an intermediate enclosure between the two?
Are there any particular isopods that would be best, or are they all more or less the same?
Which plants would do best? I'm considering pothos, since it does well in low light and high humidity.
Is a bioactive terrarium too ambitious for a first-time keeper?

Any other advice on bioactive enclosures or properly housing an amblypygid is very welcome. I'm new to all of this, so I appreciate your expertise!

Last edited:

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Very Interesting
It seems to me that you have researched, and know what you want to do.
I say go for it, and learn from carefull observation along the way.
Document your experiences along the way with notes and photos.

Perhaps some one with extensive Amblypygid experience will answer Your query.
In mean time seak knowledge from above and to the right ... " Search Funtion ".

Best Regards

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There are peeps that keep these here. They should answer.

ocelotti

Arachnopeon
Very Interesting
It seems to me that you have researched, and know what you want to do.
I say go for it, and learn from carefull observation along the way.
Document your experiences along the way with notes and photos.

Perhaps some one with extensive Amblypygid experience will answer Your query.
In mean time seak knowledge from above and to the right ... " Search Funtion ".

Best Regards
Yes, I always try to do as much research as I can before getting any sort of pet. I guess I'm just concerned about this, because all of the information seems 101 level.
Documenting everything is a good idea; I'll make sure to do that.

Unfortunately, search didn't bring up much of anything about amblypygi in vivariums. But these guys go by so many common and scientific names so it's likely that some relevant posts aren't coming up.

Thanks!

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
depends on the size of the species. Most do well in 8 x 8 x 12 sized arboreal containers. A back wall of cork is helpful, they seem to like that surface. If you wanna go plush living, then a 12 x 12 x18. I've never done a bio active for one but IMO Zoo Meds do great as Bio Active set ups.
Since most do well at higher humidity it is a decent opportunity for success
Some help with your searches
for Damon medius

ocelotti

Arachnopeon
depends on the size of the species. Most do well in 8 x 8 x 12 sized arboreal containers. A back wall of cork is helpful, they seem to like that surface. If you wanna go plush living, then a 12 x 12 x18. I've never done a bio active for one but IMO Zoo Meds do great as Bio Active set ups.
Since most do well at higher humidity it is a decent opportunity for success
Some help with your searches
for Damon medius
Thank you so much, this is very helpful! People call them so many different things that it's easy to miss good videos about them.
Mine is a P. whitei, so on the smaller end of captive species (at least compared to Damon)
Honestly, the plants will probably be the most challenging part. I have a black thumb, but hopefully the terrarium environment helps it out

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Thank you so much, this is very helpful! People call them so many different things that it's easy to miss good videos about them.
Mine is a P. whitei, so on the smaller end of captive species (at least compared to Damon)
Honestly, the plants will probably be the most challenging part. I have a black thumb, but hopefully the terrarium environment helps it out
I find it a tricky balancing act keeping both healthy. I'm not gonna sacrifice a critter for plant health though so I tend to stick to artificials