Viet pede dragging legs!

ghost_tomb

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a 7" Viet ped had it for 9 months now.

4 weeks ago it laid eggs, ate them a week later (looked like a small batch anyway)

Don't know if that’s relevant of not, but at current it’s dragging 6 (well 5 one of them is missing but always has been) of its legs.

It starts 3-4 segments up from the terminal legs and lasts for 3 segments, the centipede is very active and aggressive (hasn't eaten in 3 weeks)

But when I gently touch one of the 6 legs or 3 body segments it doesn't respond but if I touch anything else it try’s to attack me.

I've searched and found one thread but in that the pede was dead in a few days, but that one wasn't moving the last 1/5th of its body.

So any ideas?

I’ve recently added a new heat mat so some of the eco soil was dry but the water dish was at least half full, I’ve upped the humidity, added water etc.

It was fine 2 days ago.

Can this happen pre-molt? :(

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi ghost_tomb,

it doesn't sound too good, as you say, the only other case of this on these boards resulted in the pede dying. Since you say that your pede is acting normally in every other way, maybe it isnt that bad. I think all you can do it make sure the condition in the enclosure are ok and leave it and see what happens.

Cheers,

ghost_tomb

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the dragging of legs has spread to the point where its about 50% of its body or more:(

i'm pretty sure that she will be dead in the next few days.

I've also noted that 2 more of her legs re now missing, could she of removed them herself?

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry to hear that. it sounds like your pede is almost definftely on the way out. I've found that once a pede starts deteriorating, it nearly almost always dies. Not much you can do other than buy a new one, or two, or three...... ;)

ghost_tomb

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well this one cost £70 including shipping etc.

So I’m not in a rush to spend that money again, though the tank will be useful for these tiger beetles that should be available soon :)

I really hope she pulls through, though i really doubt it.

Good thing my baby goliath bird eater just molted:p
in 3 molts its gone from fitting on a 50p to well.......

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Did you buy one of the large pedes from bugsdirectuk or southcoastinverts? The problem with buying the biggest pedes is that they are usually adults and have relatively litle life left in them.

I haven't seen many other places selling pedes in the UK at the moment, apart from www.bugzuk.com. They have some nice S. subspinipes "malaysian cherry reds" for about £15 and are getting in some cheap Alipes sp. soon. The BTS bulletin board also turns up some stuff every now and again.

Cheers,

ghost_tomb

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for the heads up, it was one from southcoast, though i'm pretty sure its from injury rather than age.

thanks for the link, if and when my viet passes i'll buy a new one:)

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, I wish I had better news than Dan, but I don't. EVERY time, without exception, when I witness strange systemic behavior from pedes, it means they're in the process of dying... sometimes it takes 3 days, sometimes 3 weeks, and I've had them hang on for a couple months, just sitting there not eating. Pedes will just up and die on you sometimes, it's best not to get too attached... ;)

ghost_tomb

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
its down to being able to move its head and about 2 segments:(

anyone know the best way to mount one?

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ghost_tomb said:
its down to being able to move its head and about 2 segments:(

anyone know the best way to mount one?
I had to look at that twice then! :eek: took me a bit to realise... hmmm I'll shut up now! :eek:

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Does anyone know where I might be able to find some smaller S. subsnipes that might have more life left in them? Mine lasted a year or so but eventually died and it would be neat to own some for a bit longer. They were really neat but that short lifespan is somewhat disheartning.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lookin for a younger pede

Keep an eye on the boards if you're looking for young pedes, and try and contact suppliers. I happen to know for a fact that Regal Reptiles gets in juvinile pedes every now and then with shipments of adults. As far as lifespans go, I know of a guy through a fellow I used to work with who had a pede last round 8years.