Versicolor care.

Dreaddinit

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As some of you know I got my 1st Versicolor. Its a sling about 2 inches maybe. The person who I got it from put it in some rubbermade container thats pretty nice but it webs the top of the jug up. Bad thing is it has a twist off top and it ruins the web when I try to feed it. It also runs around the whole enclosure like its scared to death. Is there an easier way to feed it or anything. I dont want to stress the little guy out trying to take care of it. Any help on this or any other care pointers are by all means welcome. Im still a newbie! Thx in advance.

Michael.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Make a new cage really. Some people use vertical bean baby containers, with the lid serving as the base so you can pull the longer part of with the retreat in tact at the top....I use deli cups and it is a pain.....Lots of little ventilation holes too..
T

eksong

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I stuck a little piece of cork bark right by the cup side and after a little prodding here and a little pushing there I finally got it to stay on the cork bark and web there =/

protheus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dreaddinit said:
Bad thing is it has a twist off top and it ruins the web when I try to feed it. It also runs around the whole enclosure like its scared
Yep. Maybe get a container that has a narrow lid on one side or in the center. Avicularia seem to like to make webs in high places. :)

Chris

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My versi sling is kept in a glass spice jar, so I also had to deal with the twisting lid issues. Its been two months, but she/he finally webs just under the lid, although more often than not, its up on the lid when I am taking it off. At least now I dont have to worry about destroying the web every time I have to throw it a cricket, just making it dizzy.

caligulathegod

Arachnodeity
Old Timer
I have a thin smear of vasoline along the top inch or so of the rubbermade container. Keeps my versi from going any higher than the smear.

sanguinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep all my avics in upside down plastic jars. I put a smaller lid into the upside down lid to hold the substrate so the substrate won't clog up the threads. Some aquarium sealant can keep the inner lid from sliding around.

Dreaddinit

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome replies! Thx alot. I thought alot today about it and what I think I might do is buy a 40 gallon tank and keep it on my entertainment center. Take a peice of Lexan and tint it with dark tint and use it as a divider for my rose and Versi. Just figured it be a good size for em to run around if need be. I like all of your ideas, seems like you know what your doing! Thx again.

Dreaddinit

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry im Worried about my little guy :eek: Im trying my best not to stress it out if he stays in that container for about 2-3 more weeks until I gather the cash for a new tank, you think he will be ok? I dont want it to die. :(

sanguinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A 40 gallon tank divided in half with a 2" sling in one side seems a bit over the top. They don't need that much room when they are that small. You could get a jar of cheap peanut butter, have some pj sandwiches drill a bunch of holes for the necessary ventilation and you could be all set.

Dekejis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've got a bunch of avics in little acrylic containers I found at the Container Store. They're taller than they are wide and the "top" is maybe 25-35% of the height of the whole thing.. I dremeled (is that a word?) a bunch of holes into it and the slings all make webs up in the lid. I can then just pop off the lid, T and all and add crix, clean, etc.

eksong

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am using a kimchee jar... if you buy kimchee. Just beware that glass jars seem to get much hotter with little ventilation.

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The setup for the 3" avic i'm about to get is basically a 10gal aquarium turned on its side. that might be a little much for a smaller one though.

eksong: mmmm,...kimchee :D ~goes to get some homemade out of the fridge~

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Less is sometimes more

The huge advantage of keeping slings in small containers is its easier to feed them. When they web straight across the container, the prey goes into the web, the sling feeds instantly.

Some of my Avicularia versicolor slings use to web on the lid, however they leave a gap for the top of the vial now, so that when I pop the lid off, the webbing is undisturbed. I believe this happened over time by trial and error behavior on the sling's part.

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Mine's kinda the same as the Professor's. I've had problems with the webbing up the lid a couple of times, but after opening the top and destroying the web a few times - the s'ling seems to "learn". Plus, if it's destroyed a little bit - they get to construct more webbing - which seems to entertain them well.

I personally don't worry about stressing my T's outside of their molting periods. They have it about 20x easier than they would in the wild - so a little stress can't hurt 'em too bad. :eek:

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
abstract said:
I personally don't worry about stressing my T's outside of their molting periods. They have it about 20x easier than they would in the wild - so a little stress can't hurt 'em too bad. :eek:
Great point! I never thought about it like that, but its so true. The wind, rain, and other living things will destroy webbing in nature probably with greater frequency than we do by removing a lid. So, if you can get them past their molts, the only big stress is the T owner stressing about things that really don't matter very much to the T.

Dreaddinit

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thx, you guys just made me feel 10 million times better! He seems to be doing fine but changing water and pulling dead crickets out will be a Bitch. Theres one in there now but he trys to escape when I open the lid. Thats one reason why ill probably just buy a 20 gallon and let them have room do do what they wish. My rose is in that 10 gallon and its sooooo much easier to take care of then that versi right now. Basically bigger tank= Less stress for me.