venturing further into the dark side (O wahlbergii)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I got this one today at the local Exotic show from Aaron at CBC. Labeled as O wahlbergii, but she? seems to not really match pics I've seen. I LOVE the way this thing hisses! Can anyone confirm species and gender from this pic? If not, let me know at what angle to photograph. I want to be sure I've got it set up right. Right now, it's on dry peat, large water dish that overflowed, in a 10 gallon aquarium.
Are these major burrowers? I may not have the peat deep enough if they are.
thanks!
Holley

EDIT: the container label also said 'tricolor' which I thought referred to the galbrifrons, not the wahlbergii.
And it looks more like galbrifrons to me...but what do I know?!

Attachments

Last edited:

R.F

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nice scorpion,..I myself cannot confirm what gender it has or what kind of species becose i`m not really into south-african scorpions aymore. But i guess you schorpion is a female if i look at the shape of the body. They`r really pretty but the problem i think with determining these species is that O.galbrifrons has a great range and very variable in colour.

just my 5 cents

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Holley, Yes these are major burrowers. Mine has dug a burrows on all sides of the tank. I haven't seen it in 3 weeks now but sometimes late at night if I wake up I here it scuffling around. I believe it is O wahlberghi. I think glabifrons is now called wahlbergi

R.F

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
right i read a bit about O.Wahlbergii 110 mm long, often shiny,.indeed a major burrower in soft soil it can be over a meter long,..

R.F

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Brian S said:
I think glabifrons is now called wahlbergi
I believed that has not happend but i can be mistaking,.. :)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
well, I've been delving into the net today, and the info is pretty confusing. I've gathered they love to burrow, so I'm going to deepen the substrate for her too.
I think wahlbergii and galbrifrons are definately 2 different species from what I've read though.
When I let her into the aquarium, she started digging like crazy, and peat moss was flying everywhere...so I figured they were burrowers!

darrelldlc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice Scorpion, I have a little one about 2 1/2 inches long. I am not sure of the species either, but I can tell you I have it on close to 6 inches of the paver-base mixture. I packed this in the aquarium and the little thing buried all the way to the bottom. I found this mixture holds a burrow way better than peat or sand alone. I cannot thank Mr. Kugellager enough for the information. I am envious, I can't wait until mine grows up to that size.
Cordially,
Darrell.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Darrell,
where do you get the paver base? That sounds like a good idea. Last night, she dug underneath the plastic skull in her aquarium, and looks like she's got herself a decent burrow, but I am thinking the peat is too crumbly for it to hold together...

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Holley,

Home Depto carries it in the garden area..usually. Paver base is used to for laying brick sidewalks. A 50lb bag runs $3-4 USD.

John
];')

edt

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great tip on the paver base as well! I was looking for a material to suppliment the fine sand in my new H. Spadix setup for a lasting borrow!

Pics to come on all of my setups and animals.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Holley,

My guess would be O. carinatus based on what I can see for the overall coloration...it does have quite a bit of clay coloring it too. It could be other species as well. This genus is one of the more difficult to ID from a photograph.

John
];')

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Hey Holley! I'm a little deeper in as well! Beware though, the real dark side is over where the centipedes hang out.

I like the new addition, a fine little mine-beasty :D

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Mendi said:
Hey Holley! I'm a little deeper in as well! Beware though, the real dark side is over where the centipedes hang out.

I like the new addition, a fine little mine-beasty :D

LOL..don't think we'll venture that far into the dark!

James M.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love scorpions so much and have Parabuthus, yeat I too find those pedes to be scary. Thay seem evil

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Immortal_sin said:
LOL..don't think we'll venture that far into the dark!

You say that now... Maybe you'll get some millipedes, though they aren't real dark-siders other than being myriopods

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aw, i feel bad now, and so do my poor centipedes! ;) They aren't that bad you know. Just don't try and cuddle them :D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
James M. said:
I love scorpions so much and have Parabuthus, yeat I too find those pedes to be scary. Thay seem evil
I know where yir comin' from. Spiders and scorps have never bothered me but pedes give me the heebie jeebies for some reason

shadowkat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

All scorpions scare me, guess Im just a wimp. This one is very pretty though