Unknown cobweb spider with egg sac.. Photos included.

traxfish

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A couple days ago, I took one of the cobweb spiders out of my backyard shed to practice ID with. I wasn't sure if I was going to set up a cage for it and keep it as a pet or release it. I am also still not sure what genus it belongs too, but leaning toward Parasteatoda, but the coloring is off. Any insight as the genus would be appreciated.

Here are some pictures;

Then.. today I came home and found this!

Since I don't want to have to take care of the, from what I have heard, upwards of 10,000 spiderlings, I am going to put the jar she is in back in the shed with the lid off.

Question: I am thinking about giving her a pinhead first. Would she eat it or would that just stress her out?

Last edited:

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The Parasteatodas here where I live exhibit huge color variations; I've seen a lot that look like this(most, in fact), while others have bright red-orange legs, and others are dark brown with that distinctly-marbled abdomen. I've seen specimens on webs within a few inches of each other, and each one was a different color.

pitbulllady

traxfish

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The Parasteatodas here where I live exhibit huge color variations; I've seen a lot that look like this(most, in fact), while others have bright red-orange legs, and others are dark brown with that distinctly-marbled abdomen. I've seen specimens on webs within a few inches of each other, and each one was a different color.

pitbulllady
Thanks!

Also update - I did give her a little pinhead cricket last night, which she quickly gobbled down. She was done with it in a couple hours and droped it out of her web.