trapdoor spider questions

syph

Arachnopeon
I bought a trapdoor spider about a week ago...it hasnt made a burrow but will accept food above ground. my questions are; how long do they usually take to dig, and how moist do you keep your soil? thanks.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mine took quite a while. You may want to sart a burrow for it.

And yes, a species name would help.

syph

Arachnopeon
Its Cyphonisia sp. silver. Ive had a burrow built for it from the start, it goes in it sometimes but prefers to sit out on the surface. Hes feeding ok so maybe i should just be grateful i can observe a secretive trap door spider. ...still I feel like im missing out on some exciting cricket takedowns

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cyphonisia readily burrow and make trapdoors in my experience. what kind of substrate do you have it on?? trapdoor spiders tend to prefer soils types with more structure... inother words, hold their shape. try using a clay based soil or a natural soil and see if that helps at all. ive noticed big changes in all my spiders from keeping them on clay based soils. much more natural behavior.

-josh

lindell687

Arachnopeon
I also have a trapdoor spider Ummidia sp. and it did build a trapdoor a day r two after i got it. Then it came up and never dug another burrow, it also became a lot smaller and doesnt want to eat and has been this way for 2 or 3 months now feeding very rarely on small crickets. Any suggestions on what to do. Currently in a ball mason jar on 5 inches of peat moss. thanks.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I also have a trapdoor spider Ummidia sp. and it did build a trapdoor a day r two after i got it. Then it came up and never dug another burrow, it also became a lot smaller and doesnt want to eat and has been this way for 2 or 3 months now feeding very rarely on small crickets. Any suggestions on what to do. Currently in a ball mason jar on 5 inches of peat moss. thanks.
take it out of the peat moss.... put it in CLAY SOIL.