Transportation?

Popkorn118

Arachnopeon
Hello! So I may have to transport my Ts in a while, they are still in the smaller juvenile stage so their containers aren't too big to fit in a suitcase/backpack. But, I was wondering how stressful this is for the Ts, and if you have any advice (such as how to pack their tubs so they still get oxygen/don't get exposed to outside temperatures etc)? When they were tiny slings obviously it was easier...

Edit: the containers are plastic tubs, about 8'' tall and 4'' wide

Thanks.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
How far are they going and how long will it take to get there?
When I moved across town I just threw (gently set) my tanks in the back of a pickup. Alot of people pack their tarantulas up for shipping; that's the most common way of transporting them long distances.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
when i moved i just caught mine put it into a smaller container so it wouldnt bounce around tken held it during the drive. your also going to want to remove any large objects that can roll around and crush it if your keeping them in the cage during the move. would help if you told us your planned method of travel

Popkorn118

Arachnopeon
How far are they going and how long will it take to get there?
When I moved across town I just threw (gently set) my tanks in the back of a pickup. Alot of people pack their tarantulas up for shipping; that's the most common way of transporting them long distances.
It would be a roughly 7 hour drive. I would try to keep them upright, but might jostle around a bit...

when i moved i just caught mine put it into a smaller container so it wouldnt bounce around tken held it during the drive. your also going to want to remove any large objects that can roll around and crush it if your keeping them in the cage during the move. would help if you told us your planned method of travel
I see, smart! I'm planning a 7 ish hour drive, but there aren't any objects in their tubs atm. I don't think the dirt would move around either, so is it better to leave them in there?

Mainly I wanted to know how important it is to keep them still and upright, or if they will be quite stressed from a few hours of road-shaking.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
I see, smart! I'm planning a 7 ish hour drive, but there aren't any objects in their tubs atm. I don't think the dirt would move around either, so is it better to leave them in there?

Mainly I wanted to know how important it is to keep them still and upright, or if they will be quite stressed from a few hours of road-shaking.
ofcourse its important to keep the cages upright and stable you wouldnt want to be in a box rolling around either would you?bouncing and getting tossed against the walls of the box everytime it fell overjust pack the cages into a larger box and stuff newspaper around to keep the cages from moving then place the boxes on the floor of your car with other stuff around the box to keep it from moving. make sure its not under the sun during the drive AND dont leave them to bake in a hot car if you need to stop etc.leave the car running with ac on. do your planned rehouse into a bigger cage do give them a hide(should have given one when you first got them) and water dish once you get to your new place

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pack them in deli cups with holes

How warm will it be? You could easily fry them if it’s warm and you stop.

suitcase- so like they are going to be horizontal and vertical at times- NOT SMART.

Popkorn118

Arachnopeon
ofcourse its important to keep the cages upright and stable you wouldnt want to be in a box rolling around either would you?bouncing and getting tossed against the walls of the box everytime it fell overjust pack the cages into a larger box and stuff newspaper around to keep the cages from moving then place the boxes on the floor of your car with other stuff around the box to keep it from moving. make sure its not under the sun during the drive AND dont leave them to bake in a hot car if you need to stop etc.leave the car running with ac on. do your planned rehouse into a bigger cage do give them a hide(should have given one when you first got them) and water dish once you get to your new place
Well I know, that's why I'm posting it's not like I planned to roll them around. But some shaking is inevitable when traveling so I wanted to inquire about how careful you generally are to minimize it (or if by chance that wasn't much of an issue). Thanks for the advice, I might try to pack them in a box with newspapers like you suggested.

When I got them they were slings, there wasn't really any space for a hide. Even now a small one would take up like half of the terrain...

Pack them in deli cups with holes

How warm will it be? You could easily fry them if it’s warm and you stop.

suitcase- so like they are going to be horizontal and vertical at times- NOT SMART.
I was also worried about the heat... it might be in the low 80s which is kind of the limit but I can keep the ac on. So do you suggest putting them into deli cups to make it easier to keep them still? I also didn't like a suitcase bc it's harder to keep upright

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was also worried about the heat... it might be in the low 80s which is kind of the limit but I can keep the ac on. So do you suggest putting them into deli cups to make it easier to keep them still? I also didn't like a suitcase bc it's harder to keep upright
Yes that’s why re cups- then in a box
That’s very hot if you stop and have windows rolled up. Even if windows are rolled down in the right conditions you can kill them be careful
I used AC, covered them with a light blanket to shield from sun

I’ve done this many times across the USA no deaths yet

Popkorn118

Arachnopeon
Yes that’s why re cups- then in a box
That’s very hot if you stop and have windows rolled up. Even if windows are rolled down in the right conditions you can kill them be careful
I used AC, covered them with a light blanket to shield from sun

I’ve done this many times across the USA no deaths yet
Okay, thanks! If I'm not able to secure the current enclosures, I'll try the deli cups then.