Today in the Spider Room?

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
It was watering day today and my boehmei was doing it's usual routine. Threat postures for a solid minute. It walked up to where the water was drizzling down the side in a threat posture and just casually switches to drinking off the side! So adorable and comic at the same time:)

Lizardfreak

Arachnopeon
0302C813-5997-45CA-8D59-B23597A59C66.jpeg My A. Geniculata sling finally molted.. her first one (with me at least). She’s so bright now! And yeah I don’t know if it’s a she but it’s name is Heather. A82BD786-409A-4CDC-A4E6-BB3D67B5356C.jpeg

Scarge

Arachnopeon
So I dropped a cricket in with my Phormictopus atrochomatus and it proceeded to grab it and a fake plastic leaf that was attached to it's hide at the same time. The little bugger (it's still a sub-adult) then proceeded to tuck the cricket under its body and attempted to pierce that plastic leaf with its fangs for the next 4 minutes straight. Let's just say I won't be wiggling any fingers inside that enclosure anytime soon.

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
My C versicolor sling is finally starting go to town with the webbing!
Took a few weeks like what I read, patience can be agonizing :oldman:
30F54862-33CF-4568-9B8B-F202FA06EF64.jpeg

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
After last moult, my E. murinus was in dire need for a rehouse. So I gave her much more spacious enclosure with much more depth and just finished rehousing. She was amazingly cooperative. No threat postures, no bolting, striking, threat postures. She just held to web sock while I was getting it out. Then let it go in new enclosure and calmly went on the substrate.

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My Nhandu chromatus molted for the second time on Wednesday. He was only about 1/2 inch when he arrived, and now he's double that. Starting to get stripes on his legs.

One of my Pterinopelma sazimai slings molted for the second time on Friday. He's actually looking a little gray/blue, and markedly different from his brother who has only molted once. I was surprised at how much water he drank before he molted. He actually began to crawl down into the dish as the water level dropped. Pretty excited to see him developing some color.

And my little Cyriocosmus elegans has done a remarkable amount of work building a burrow. Completely ignored the mealworm piece I put in there for him, and just kept working. His burrow is now 4 or 5 times his size, and he's still moving one tiny piece of substrate at a time to web it in place near the surface. Industrious little fella.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I went to feed my "juvenile" Idiothele mira, and I noticed his palps looked odd. Sure enough, he's a tiny mature male at only 2.5". (I didn't even know what sex he was, because he stashes his molts in his lair.)

I guess I should start trying to find him a date.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Last week my mature male C. ritae finally ate his roommate, a B. lateralis roach, that was living with him for the past few months. I didn't bother to take it out as he wasn't going to moult anymore and I thought, maybe, at some point, he would eventually get hungry again. And I was really happy when I saw him devouring that roach as he had been fasting for about 5 months already. He matured exactly one year ago.

But now it seems, that meal got him into hyperdrive mode. :wideyed: Of course, he was wandering around this past year, but now he's running and tapping like crazy, so desperate to find the girlfriend that isn't there and never will be. It's kinda tragic. :(

Did my first ever pokie rehouses the other day. The first one, a 3.5" regalis was fine, I just put its deli cup in the new enclosure and let it come out of its own accord. The second one (a 3" subfusca), though, was in one of those square mainstay containers with the screw-on lids, except this one was half-height and had a cork bark tube in the dead center taking up most of the space (I got them from craigslist, so I didn't have much of a say in its enclosure).
20191214_151317.jpg
At first I tried slowly coaxing it to the top of the container, and thus into the catch cup, but it was very hard to maneuver a brush around the big ol' cork round, and the subfusca decided it had had enough and threat posed the brush, so I put the lid back on and let her think about her actions for a while. I ended up getting the cork bark out, but it was a bit tense slowly pulling it out while watching that spider like a hawk :anxious:. But, once the enclosure was clear it was easy peasy getting her up to the catch cup, and she was overall pretty chill about the whole thing. Here're the pokie's new enclosures:
20191214_151804.jpg
20191214_152243.jpg

Then later in the day an injured bat got into the downstairs. :eek: Catching that thing made me much more nervous than the pokies, but no pets or people got bit, thankfully. We took it to the local wildlife rehab center (where I used to volunteer, incidentally), but sadly the bat didn't make it. The poor thing apparently had some very nasty old wounds on its wings :(

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Today, I tong-fed a T for the very first time... :cool:

My GBB is acting a bit weird these days, sitting half of the time at the side of her enclosure right under the lid. When I tried to open the lid last week when it was feeding time, she almost bolted out of her enclosure. Gave me half a heart attack. :wideyed:

So, today I filled up the water dish through the vent holes and was almost determined to not feed her. But you know how it is when those 8 little pubby eyes are staring at you... :rolleyes: and I looked at the remaining mealworms and thought, why not...? I took a mealworm with my tong and pushed it through the vent hole right in front of her... and she went for it, and also for the second one. :smug:
I think it's safe to say that this kind of tong-feeding is quite safe for everyone. :D

20191215_tong-fed.jpg

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Yesterday my GBB was going a little nuts. She was webbing a bit and then started doing laps around the enclosure, which I haven't seen her do before. No clue what was going on.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
A bit of a sad day.

The little Avic I had received on Thursday has died. It moulted on Friday, the day after arriving, and today I found it curled. All the spiders in the shipment were very cold when they arrived due to a shipping delay, but it appeared as they had all recovered without issue. A successful moult was another positive sign.

Additionally, one of my mature male H. pulchripes also passed. He matured on the 23rd of January of this year, so was nearly 11 months mature. He ate on the 20th of November, not too long ago.

Rest in peace, little dude. It looks like it's been a few days as he's quite deflated at this stage.

Oddly, his brother who matured last August is still kicking, and ate today.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Today, I tong-fed a T for the very first time... :cool:

My GBB is acting a bit weird these days, sitting half of the time at the side of her enclosure right under the lid. When I tried to open the lid last week when it was feeding time, she almost bolted out of her enclosure. Gave me half a heart attack. :wideyed:

So, today I filled up the water dish through the vent holes and was almost determined to not feed her. But you know how it is when those 8 little pubby eyes are staring at you... :rolleyes: and I looked at the remaining mealworms and thought, why not...? I took a mealworm with my tong and pushed it through the vent hole right in front of her... and she went for it, and also for the second one. :smug:
I think it's safe to say that this kind of tong-feeding is quite safe for everyone. :D

View attachment 328552
I do that all the time :)

A little late but my Grammastola pulchra Betsy molted on friday and is currently 1.5-2" now! And she is doing some yoga stretches.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Today I dealt with my first escape in the hobby! Wasn't a tarantula but my small P regius named Cheech! I noticed he finally molted for the first time since I got them in October. Decided not to feed yet but I went to spray some water on the side of the enclosure and before I could do it Cheech decided "great time for a stroll"! 1 catch cup later and he was back in his enclosure! Goofy little guy just wanted to stretch his legs! :)

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
My c versi sling molted yesterday and was looking a little bleak last night to I sprinkled some water on her webbing which she very much appreciated, now today she's tidying up her web and has moved molts that she'd previously left in her web tunnel where I couldn't get to it outside. She's like a fancy little lady having a fancy little spring cleaning!

So how are your Ts doing?

Eukio

Arachnosquire
Some are closed up. Some are out. Most are in open burrows/buried hides. Being typically unmoving tarantulas.

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
My P. sp. Machala who is always out in the open dug a huge burrow and sealed it off! Maybe it won't eat this molt... Who am I kidding, I'm never going to get to sex this thing.

Swagg

Arachnoknight
My T. Albopilosum is in heavy pre-molt. A. Chalcodes is wandering and digging it’s tunnel deeper. G. Pulchripes is closed up in the hide for about a week and a half. Expecting a bigger T when it comes out.